The Faraway Tree Lives!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

The Faraway Tree Lives!

Post by mercalia »

My favourite Enid Blyton's The Magic Faraway Tree is being brought to life on the big screen for the first time.

"StudioCanal, which was behind the Paddington films, is joining forces with Sam Mendes' Neal Street Productions, for a live action adaptation of the book series."

well thats one kids film I hope will be worth seeing as the books are truly magical with Dame Washalot and the various worlds at the top of the tree. I hope its a success.

Any one else here who remembers the books as a kid with fondness?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42053334
Last edited by mercalia on 20 Nov 2017, 8:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Re: The Faraway Tree Lives!

Post by Bonefishblues »

I don't recall them from my childhood, but we introduced them to our daughter, now 7 :D
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

That is funny you mention that.
I was chatting to someone about books the other day and he reminded me of these.

Yes, I thoroughly loved them.
Read them a few times when I was little.

I was tempted to read them again now, but I fear it would damage the magical pictures that I still have in my mind.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Excellent! I used to read them to my daughter at bed time and kept reading long after she had fallen asleep! Wonderful stories to fire any child's imagination.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Saucepan Man rules ok!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Paddington 2 is out soon

I suspect he took the 1343 HST from Great Malvern, he made up the story about Peru
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I'd forgotten all about the Faraway Tree but yes, I had one of the books as a child and loved it.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

LollyKat wrote:I'd forgotten all about the Faraway Tree but yes, I had one of the books as a child and loved it.

well there are 3 others you can catch up on :)
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

LOL! My children are grown up but our first grandchild is on the way - in a few years it'll give me an excuse to get the books, perhaps.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Grownups can be children too
Grimms Tales are worth reading, they are by no means only for children
The brothers Grimm collected and recorded stories that had been passed on orally

One of my favourites is *Hans im Glueck*
A lad works on a farm for seven years, at the end he gets his pay - a lump of gold! He finds carrying it uncomfortable so he swaps it for a horse, he keeps swapping and downgrading and at the end he has nothing and is happy %-))

Still looking for a bit more analysis and background, surely someone has written a thesis about the story
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Grownups can be children too
The brothers Grimm collected and recorded stories that had been passed on orally

A lad works on a farm for seven years, at the end he gets his pay - a lump of gold! He finds carrying it uncomfortable so he swaps it for a horse, he keeps swapping and downgrading and at the end he has nothing and is happy %-))

Still looking for a bit more analysis and background, surely someone has written a thesis about the story

Well I am surprised some one/remainer hasnt commented that The Faraway Tree stories are an allegory for Brexit ( but then they are too serious to have read this thread :lol: ) - all the wonderful worlds at the top of the tree that turn out to be not so good, hmm cant remember one such world they had trouble getting out of oh yes getting trapped in a world as it spins away and the next occupying the top of the Faraway Tree, World of Dame Slap?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:

Well I am surprised some one/remainer hasnt commented that The Faraway Tree stories are an allegory for Brexit ( but then they are too serious to have read this thread :lol: ) - all the wonderful worlds at the top of the tree that turn out to be not so good, hmm cant remember one such world they had trouble getting out of oh yes getting trapped in a world as it spins away and the next occupying the top of the Faraway Tree, World of Dame Slap?

I do not know The Faraway Tree !

Could you perhaps write a short summary of the story?

Diolch yn fawr iawn
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
mercalia wrote:

I do not know The Faraway Tree !

Could you perhaps write a short summary of the story?

Diolch yn fawr iawn

Ah well you missed some thing special in your childhood :cry:

You can read about it - and the other 3 books in the wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Faraway_Tree
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Interesting, in the new versions the children are humiliated by being shouted at instead of being beaten, progress!

Back then mind, when I went to school, corporal punishment was legal and I was indeed beaten (cane on the hand). Probably did some damage but I have got over it now a few decades later
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Interesting, in the new versions the children are humiliated by being shouted at instead of being beaten, progress!

Back then mind, when I went to school, corporal punishment was legal and I was indeed beaten (cane on the hand). Probably did some damage but I have got over it now a few decades later

yes I noticed that. Dame Slap should remain as Dame Slap not Snap. Maybe "real" literature should be rewritten to get rid of the violence and other disturbing things also? I am surprised those overseeing Blytons works have agreed to such mutilation

I have just had a look at my copy - sadly its one of the mutilated versions :cry: