The Faraway Tree Lives!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fausto copy

Re: The Faraway Tree Lives!

Post by fausto copy »

We bought the set of 3 books for our 6 year old grand-daughter last Christmas.
She's got a reading age of around 10 but didn't get into the books at all.
It seems that today's youngsters are into something quite different.
Never mind, I've just finished the last Jo Nesbo thriller, so maybe I'll tuck myself up in bed tonight and start on the Faraway Tree again.

fausto.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

fausto copy wrote:We bought the set of 3 books for our 6 year old grand-daughter last Christmas.
She's got a reading age of around 10 but didn't get into the books at all.
It seems that today's youngsters are into something quite different.
Never mind, I've just finished the last Jo Nesbo thriller, so maybe I'll tuck myself up in bed tonight and start on the Faraway Tree again.

fausto.

understandable. some kids dont have the innocence needed these days and spolit by the Harry Potter books? maybe the live action film will make a difference, I just hope they are careful and dont spoil the memories of us adults who read them long time ago when all we had was our imagination and no tv/film images, as some of the characters could be made to look quite ridiculous? eg saucepan man
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Au contraire (to paraphrase Del Boy), my grand-daughter is full of innocence and wonder, has a great imagination and gets through at least six library books each week.
I think it's really down to the grammar used in the original books. I don't think the way they're written is natural for the youngsters today.

As an aside, I'm currently reading an Alexander Cordell novel from the mid-seventies and the way it's written is again far removed from current literature. It's still a brilliant book but definitely of another era.

And I'm wondering quite why Saucepan Man would look ridiculous these days. :lol: