Lancashire Day 27 November 2018

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Sweep

Re: Lancashire Day 27 November 2017

Post by Sweep »

Flinders wrote:There's good countryside east and south east of Pendle. I prefer the south side ascents of Pendle (from Barley) but then I was brought up round there, people who only like it 100% rural might be put off by the Padiham-Burnley-Nelson-Colne sprawl. .

People like that who want 100 per cent rural/dreamland don't really understand the area though do they? It's that mixture of the rural and (relatively small scale) industry which gives the area its special character. Lots of old mill buildings tucked away in small villages. It was of course at one time the centre of the world/industrial revolution.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

pwa wrote: "The cyclists call it Fly Pie" she replied. How could I resist? Fly pie it was.

She was maybe being gentle with you if she thought you an outsider. When I was young from those parts we used the term "dead fly".
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

cycleruk wrote:A few yards up the road from Puddleducks camouflaged in the trees.:-
https://www.google.com/maps/place/100,0 ... 2?hl=en-GB

By the way the cafe is not open Mondays.

And also very close, this.
Even for a raging atheist (and anti papist) like me it's very nice to pop into for a bit of shelter/quiet contemplation.

Just open the door, switch the light on, switch it off when you leave. Not likely to have company.

Supposedly built with race horse winnings as I recall.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St+Hu ... 9?hl=en-GB
Last edited by Sweep on 18 Mar 2018, 12:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
fausto copy

Re: Lancashire Day 27 November 2018

Post by fausto copy »

We stayed in Chipping in the 'van after 5 nights in the Lakes.
A lovely village with all amenities too.
We cycled the Bowland Loop and were mighty pleased to see Puddleducks tearoom and it was most pleasant sat out on the green opposite, and delightful to see the kids playing in the river.
Just like old days. :)
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

fausto copy wrote:We stayed in Chipping in the 'van after 5 nights in the Lakes.
A lovely village with all amenities too.
We cycled the Bowland Loop and were mighty pleased to see Puddleducks tearoom and it was most pleasant sat out on the green opposite, and delightful to see the kids playing in the river.
Just like old days. :)

Chipping has two cafes. One is the "Cobbled Corner" and the other (Brabins) used to "shut for lunch" :? Although to be fair it was mainly a shop with a tea garden attached. :wink:
2014 saw Brabins change owners and was extended and is more a normal tea room.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... &autoplay=
It is reputably Britains oldest shop but changed hands again after this article and is still open :-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -Shop.html

The original owner of the Cobbled Corner had "Bungo" soup. Anything got bunged into it so not a dish for vegetarians.
He then sold up and bought Puddleducks but that has changed hands twice since then. The current Puddleducks owners have improved the tearoom since they took over.

Another estasblishment, in Dunsop Bridge, is the village hall. Run by the WI but, unfortunately, only open on Sundays from Easter to end of August. Very good value for sandwiches, cake & drinks.
http://cafe.southlakesgroup.org/dunsop- ... -hall.html
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad has a very interesting article today about poetry by millworkers in the 19th century, there is a link to recitals of the poems, some of which are in a "very difficult Lancashire dialect" (+1)

The poems are being studied at Exeter University mind, they speak differently there, could not find it on my map of Lancashire :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The Grauniad has a very interesting article today about poetry by millworkers in the 19th century, there is a link to recitals of the poems, some of which are in a "very difficult Lancashire dialect" (+1)

The poems are being studied at Exeter University mind, they speak differently there, could not find it on my map of Lancashire :wink:

Dialect was never meant to be written,it's a spoken communication and can use various terms from places of work to have other meanings.
Millworkers will have terms that say miners wouldn't.
Mllworkers would also memae(lip read) to each other whilst at work as it was too hard to hear over the machines.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I bought a copy of Spenser's Fairie Queen (Elizabethan poetry) when I was a student. I was a bit careless, and bought it in the original spelling without a modern translation. Couldn't make head nor tail of it until I tried to speak it out loud in my native accent, at which point it stated to make sense.

Spenser is supposed to have come from the Pendle area, around Hurstwood, so maybe that's why.

Caused a few sidelong glances on the tube, mind. :mrgreen:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cugel of this parish loves Lancashire
But he loves Wales more (?)

Cymru am byth!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Super Tuesday 27.11 is Lancashire Day! How might one best celebrate?
peetee

Post by peetee »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Super Tuesday 27.11 is Lancashire Day! How might one best celebrate?

How about offsetting the whole ridiculous notion by planting a row of white flowering rose bushes then settling down to a dinner of ' puddins n gravy and rhubarb crumble and a pot of tea.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Dr who starting in 10 mins apparently set around pendle witch trials. No idea what locations they used. If not the wondrous pendle the producers sbould be hung. Or whatever they did to those unfortunate women.
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sweep wrote:Dr who starting in 10 mins apparently set around pendle witch trials. No idea what locations they used. If not the wondrous pendle the producers sbould be hung. Or whatever they did to those unfortunate women.

Thread drift alert, just read a new (to me) reason for persecution of witches, they knew about contraception and abortion and were unpopular with certain powerful people, when the witches were gone the population started to grow quickly [so the kids could be sent down the mines?]

Source nd letters 24.11

Several politicians have apologised recently for what was done to the witches centuries ago, Plus One for apologies
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Sweep wrote:Dr who starting in 10 mins apparently set around pendle witch trials. No idea what locations they used. If not the wondrous pendle the producers sbould be hung. Or whatever they did to those unfortunate women.

Thread drift alert, just read a new (to me) reason for persecution of witches, they knew about contraception and abortion and were unpopular with certain powerful people, when the witches were gone the population started to grow quickly [so the kids could be sent down the mines?]

Source nd letters 24.11

Several politicians have apologised recently for what was done to the witches centuries ago, Plus One for apologies

Mm

Which pendle mines would those be?

Sabden Treacle mines?
Sweep
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Oof, just saw this post, we've missed it, 'cos we don't watch Dr Who. How was it?