Lancashire Day 27 November 2018

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Lancashire Day 27 November 2017

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tangled Metal wrote:It's not a bad little hill. One of Wainwright's outliers. If you've done the Wainwright's then the outliers are a bigger list of the smaller hills up that way.

Probably my sort of hill where one would be pleased to meet other people after hours alone?

The Mournes by Newcastle Co Down are great, again right by the sea, or the Carneddau from Penmaenmawr

Never been to the Howgills either, are they in Lancashire?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Howgills? Not in old Lancashire neither.

Isn't Lancashire's highest point not far from Yorkshire three peaks area. Some say that if it had been in Yorkshire it would have been the four peaks instead of three.

Gragareth is the name, Northwest of Whernside Yorkshire is south of it, Cumbria is around it and it's part of a funny slither of Lancashire where it really shouldn't be of you ask me.

For you hill nerds it took over the county high from Green Hill along the ridgeline towards Great Court. It's 628m compared to 627.5m for Green Hill.

Howgills and Sedbergh is just north of it. It's all a nice area. Can heartily recommend doing the Yorkshire three peaks. 12 hours is a reasonable timescale for reasonably active people.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Anyone been up Black Combe (Cumberland), it looks interesting on the map, right by the sea
Diolch i bawb

We took a 12 year old (who we were minding for the weekend) up in October. The views were a bit limited as it was in the clouds, but what we saw was nice.

Looking back over Whicham towards Millom & Haverigg, with Barrow in the background.
Looking back over Whicham towards Millom & Haverigg, with Barrow in the background.

We started from the small carpark (honesty box donations for parking requested) next to St Mary's Whicham, just off the A595. We just did the up & back (Strava link), approx 4.6 miles, but it looks like you could make a 10 mile loop by climbing/descending the path on the North side & looping round the low level paths on the west side to link the two.

Much of the main path is bridleway so you could "ride" Black Combe (though I think there would probably be quite a bit of hike-a-bike involved).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

There's good countryside east and south east of Pendle. I prefer the south side ascents of Pendle (from Barley) but then I was brought up round there, people who only like it 100% rural might be put off by the Padiham-Burnley-Nelson-Colne sprawl. I just see my own old stamping ground. I suppose we are all blind to any visual disadvantages of our own roots, maybe?

Anyway, plenty of walking round those areas is hidden from the urban bits. And if you like it wild, there are lots of great walks over towards Haworth and Heptonstall way, but watch yourselves in the winter if you do, people do lose their lives out in those moors. They aren't high by mountain standards, but they are very unforgiving, especially in snow and mist.

I can't wait to go and live there again.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Tangled Metal wrote:Howgills? Not in old Lancashire neither.

Isn't Lancashire's highest point not far from Yorkshire three peaks area. Some say that if it had been in Yorkshire it would have been the four peaks instead of three.

Gragareth is the name, Northwest of Whernside Yorkshire is south of it, Cumbria is around it and it's part of a funny slither of Lancashire where it really shouldn't be of you ask me.

For you hill nerds it took over the county high from Green Hill along the ridgeline towards Great Court. It's 628m compared to 627.5m for Green Hill.

Howgills and Sedbergh is just north of it. It's all a nice area. Can heartily recommend doing the Yorkshire three peaks. 12 hours is a reasonable timescale for reasonably active people.

It is indeed odd that Gragareth is in Lancs. Presumably some landowner's boundary way back when? Nice walk though.
Howgills, yes they're lovely. And fantastic views, just fantastic- Dales, Lakes, the lot. There's a great route up ridges to the Calf from the north side. We haven't done the Spout route yet, that's on the to-do list.
I think the Howgills are now within the new Park boundary????
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Guardian reports that Preston had planned a gigantic shopping paradise, the Tithe Barn, but the investors pulled out

Then people wondered whether the TB would have been a big mistake

Now the city is concentrating on looking after the people and things are getting better, the minimum wage has been introduced and money is spent locally where possible
+1 for the northwestern powerhouse

I read about the 'brutalist' bus station there that was saved from demolition, seeing that would be reason enough to visit
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

The bus statiion is great. Excellent building and very practical. Just needs some internal remodelling. Disgraceful that the council ever tried to demolish it.
Sweep
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

And suicide prevention measures. When I lived near there it was a very popular place to end it all. Brutalist in a few ways I guess!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sweep wrote:The bus statiion is great. Excellent building and very practical. Just needs some internal remodelling. Disgraceful that the council ever tried to demolish it.

+1 Positive thread alert :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

living in LONDON I have never heard of LANCASHIRE - which country is that in?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:living in LONDON I have never heard of LANCASHIRE - which country is that in?

Maybe L O N D O N should hold a referendum and leave the union, it would be a very rich country in its own right, agriculture might be a problem mind, not sure if it could be self-sufficient :wink:

We have had 'we love Wales' etc, lots of interest there
Not sure whether anyone loves London :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oh dear, the Observer has an article about a well-kept secret, the Forest of Bowland
There is a lovely misprint: the vicar of Slaidburn has the biggest parish in Britain, 70 000 square miles :wink:

Bowland is getting too well-known as an insider tip

My secret place: West Durham
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Oh dear, the Observer has an article about a well-kept secret, the Forest of Bowland
There is a lovely misprint: the vicar of Slaidburn has the biggest parish in Britain, 70 000 square miles :wink:

When I went into this very pleasant establishment at Dunsop Bridge I noticed a dense pastry item with currants, a bit like a Chorley Cake, and asked the lady behind the counter what the speckled confection was called. "The cyclists call it Fly Pie" she replied. How could I resist? Fly pie it was. Nice too.https://www.google.com/maps/@53.9457467 ... 6?hl=en-GB
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Oh dear, the Observer has an article about a well-kept secret, the Forest of Bowland

Bowland is getting too well-known as an insider tip......

I think Countryfile beat the Observer to it,we've been riding the area for donkeys and it's a beautiful area,but I wish the council would maintain the roads to some sort of standard,in recent years they've been left to get in a terrible state of disrepair in some parts,though not quite as bad as the Fylde :shock: .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

pwa wrote:

When I went into this very pleasant establishment at Dunsop Bridge I noticed a dense pastry item with currants, a bit like a Chorley Cake, and asked the lady behind the counter what the speckled confection was called. "The cyclists call it Fly Pie" she replied. How could I resist? Fly pie it was. Nice too.https://www.google.com/maps/@53.9457467 ... 6?hl=en-GB

A few yards up the road from Puddleducks camouflaged in the trees.:-
https://www.google.com/maps/place/100,0 ... 2?hl=en-GB

By the way the cafe is not open Mondays.
You'll never know if you don't try it.