Black Friday Anyone

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Black Friday Anyone

Post by mercalia »

Anyone here know of any good forthcoming deals?

The Sun has a list of retailers running deals

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/3944384/black-friday-2017-november-24-uk-deals/
rjb

Re: Black Friday Anyone

Post by rjb »

Couldn't see any savings or investment offers there. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I try to have the attitude: "If I didn't need it when it wasn't on sale, why do I need it when it is?"

Exceptions tend to be the list of stuff I know I'll be buying at some point in the future.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Black Friday appears to be another US bandwagon that retailers are jumping on to make us part with our money. I saw a report the other day that showed that Black Friday deals were not always good value. It is marketing done for the benefit of shops and not customers.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Why is it called 'black'?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Si

Post by Si »

black friday - it plugs the small gap between the 2 months of firework season and the three months of christmas season.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

It's not a bad track at all - don't know what you're all moaning about.

[youtube]h3Pw4t_Falo[/youtube]
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I prefer Ruby Tuesday.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Si wrote:black friday - it plugs the small gap between the 2 months of firework season and the three months of christmas season.

:mrgreen: Leave another month or two for Trick or Treat, can't you?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I read that Lidl is taking part for the first time
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I think Wiggle are already on their fourth Black Friday... of 2017!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Isn't it related to the important American family gathering that is Thanksgiving? As in the first Friday after Thanksgiving when shops in America started to see the beginnings of serious Xmas shopping. The day when shopkeepers went into the black financially speaking. When they make their money for the year in the run up to Xmas.

Some smart person thought they'd celebrate going into the black by selling things cheaper than they can afford to get more of the market share. Later to become more like the sales we see all year round but at least interest is drummed up with the made up day.

Personally I look but don't touch unless something I see is what I want but have been putting off for a good price. Plus it has to be a good price.

For example I've seen the £100+ aftershokz titanium Bluetooth, bone conduction headphones for £75. Or the helmet with it built in (plus extras like for £80 down from £180. I need a helmet too so an option.

I treat it like I always do. If I want something I'll keep for the best price. If no good price comes up I'll put it off of I can. Never buy a bargain if you weren't already looking for the subject of that bargain. It's just not a bargain if it's an extra item!
PH

Post by PH »

I'm about to go shoe shopping, wish me luck. I hate shoe shopping, I either buy some I wear a couple of times, decide I don't like them and they gather dust for a year before going to the charity shop, or some I really like, wear them every day and am nearly in tears when they finally fall apart. I've been meaning to replace the current pair since the January sales :oops:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

http://deals.road.cc/

it seems so important that the BBC has a LIVE FEED :roll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-42027277
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Folk buying stuff they don't need with money they don't have - and possibly will NEVER have given latest real income forecasts!

"The Black Friday sales bonanza was on course for a record with consumers set to spend almost £8bn during what has become a four-day shopping event.
Barclaycard said transaction numbers were 32% up on last year, with Black Friday most likely behind the rise.
Retail researchers said online sales would see the most growth on Friday.
Shoppers are expected to spend £1.15bn - up 15% on the same day last year. On the High Street, sales were forecast to total £1.45bn, up 4% on 2016.
Barclaycard said the value of all transactions were up 8% on last year by mid afternoon."

The economy, for want of a better word, is firmly dependent on consumer spend, which in a period of falling incomes can only be dependent on a combination of borrowing and foregone savings, the latter being fundamental to capital investment, which is the key to future productivity and hence increased per capita income (however distributed). A downward spiral is inevitable.