It is polite to THANK people who respond to your question

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: It is polite to THANK people who respond to your question

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One is not wasting ones time because it is read by others too

There is such a lot of material even on this realively small (?) forum

I like to resurrect old threads, it is interesting to see what I wrote years ago and have forgotten, who knows one might have even changed ones opinion :wink:

(anyone done that?)

I set questions and provide answers too like most of us I guess
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PH

Post by PH »

I usually do, but have no expectation that someone else will, indeed they might not even be thankful for the answer!
It's a forum, a conversation, something to do while I ought to be doing something else, the pleasure is in the participation, if I didn't enjoy contributing I wouldn't, I don't feel I need thanking for it.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Si wrote:When you ask the question you could always end it with something like "Many thanks in advance for any help people might offer".

But then you’d annoy me! Thanks should be given where due and heartfelt, not added as a generic disclaimer of all future responsibility. This is nearly as bad as companies saying “sorry for any inconvenience caused”. No! That should be “sorry for the inconvenience caused”.

The topic is not worth this amount of fuss, in my opinion. It’s polite to thank people for positing on a forum that they evidently enjoy posting on, but it’s not worth getting upset about people who don’t.

More bothersome to me is people posting in the wrong sub-forum. The present thread was originally posted in “Does anyone know … ?” despite having nothing to do with “General cycling advice”. At least it wasn’t a technical topic like most of the posts in that “NOT technical !” sub-forum.

And one reason that people post in the wrong sub-forum is that there are far, far too many sub-forums. Like most people, I only visit about four of them (and those four don’t include The Tea Shop where this thread ended up). Old posts are not reasonably findable except by search, so the sub-divisions wouldn’t serve a useful purpose even if they were respected.

At least it’s not as bad as the unbelievable navigation tree at YACF.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I use *new posts* or *unread posts*, then I learn the answers to questions I never thought of asking, +1!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Firstly let me thanks all those who replied, even the grumpy ones.

The reason I posted on the Does Anyone Know forum was because that is where I see the lack of response happening and so it seemed an appropriate place to bring it to people's attention. I have never been on The Tea Shop before and guess likewise for many other question asking posters. Sorry.

I also apologise for making it a clickbait, I too dislike this. An aberration, shame on me.

The thankyou in the title wasn't mine and I only mentioned thankyou in the last line of my post. I was as much asking about some form of response when clarification is requested or an acknowledgement to at least show that the OP had bothered to read the replies, which I agree would often be a thankyou.

I (like many) am happy to help and advise, but if it's not being read then it just becomes a sort of self aggrandisement.

I'm pleased to see that the majority are in favour of an OP response usually by way of thanks. I share their thought that politeness isn't just a quaint throwback to a former time. Happy to meet them in a tea shop anytime.

Happy to consider this closed.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

simonhill wrote:Happy to consider this closed.

Not before I thank you kindly!