Harry is marrying Ms Merkel?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: Harry is marrying Ms Merkel?

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's the first day of 6 months of this. It might slow down a bit but it'll be there waiting for another Harry and the American story.

For what it's worth the real monarch of our land was a 67 year old Aussie when some genealogist did the research based on a point in history when the claimant for the throne with the greatest claim lost out. Apparently they're not really our royals! :wink:

PS is anyone buying the backstory being presented about her? You know the one about coping with prejudice over her mixed race parentage? The story about the junior high census form where she had to be white or black but nothing in between. It just makes me regret the fact we have a monarchy. This spin the image thing they're doing. Time for a revolution to end constitutional monarchy!
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

reohn2 wrote:But I'm sick of hearing about it now,what it'll be like as the wedding gets closer and the media feeding frenzy intensifies I can only guess.

Last nights television schedule on the beeb was all shifted by 30 minutes because they had injected extra coverage of the announcement. Nadia Hussein? had an exclusive interview showing them all loved up and in it she asked "and what about children? any plans". Is this all we can think about when as a couple they could live childless and invest much more time into altruistic pursuits and save the impact on the environment and security costs of such offspring. Why the fixation with kids.

He may be more down to earth but he still does have a privileged life that, if a man, he could cut ties with and live off his army salary without allowances from charles/diana legacy. Her family must be rubbing their hands with the future income from press attention for them, the americans will lap it up.

So we now have months of build up to a wedding, another royal baby :? , and likely another royal baby( shes 37 can't hang about ). All the while with Nicholas Witchell et al talking in sombre tones and blowing smoke up their ahem.

This country is in a mess, there are serious issues to resolve not to be obfuscated and sidelined by the future of the royal family.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

And Mrs May breathing a sigh of relief as the attention is focused elsewhere as she stands on the stern(sic)of her ship as it slips beneath the waves,with the rich all tucked up nicely in the lifeboats...
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

And the band played on..........glug glug.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

should have married into the Trump family to help with Brexit?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote:And Mrs May breathing a sigh of relief as the attention is focused elsewhere as she stands on the stern(sic)of her ship as it slips beneath the waves,with the rich all tucked up nicely in the lifeboats...

And using the distraction to bury bad news
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/benefit-freeze-working-people-typical-family-300-real-terms-cut-inflation-a8079196.html wrote:Government confirms freeze on working age benefits minutes after Prince Harry wedding news revealed
The news came just twenty minutes after Clarence House announced Prince Harry’s engagement to American actress Meghan Markle.

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Last time someone from that family married an American divorcee it didn't turn out too well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_VI ... ion_crisis
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:Last time someone from that family married an American divorcee it didn't turn out too well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_VI ... ion_crisis

I bet the papers hope that will repeat it self as then there will be a new story after the fairy tale one is over :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:
reohn2 wrote:And Mrs May breathing a sigh of relief as the attention is focused elsewhere as she stands on the stern(sic)of her ship as it slips beneath the waves,with the rich all tucked up nicely in the lifeboats...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/benefit-freeze-working-people-typical-family-300-real-terms-cut-inflation-a8079196.html wrote:Government confirms freeze on working age benefits minutes after Prince Harry wedding news revealed
The news came just twenty minutes after Clarence House announced Prince Harry’s engagement to American actress Meghan Markle.

Ian

Enough of this leftwing claptrap,let's all get behind the royal family and join them in their joy and happiness.
It'll take our minds off the crap we keep getting fed daily :shock:
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

We need fairy stories to entertain us, cheer us up, divert us, this is yet another real-life fairy story, +1
God shave the PoW, Prince of Wales!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:We need fairy stories to entertain us, cheer us up, divert us, this is yet another real-life fairy story, +1

And let them eat cake :roll:
W H Auden
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Cyril Haearn wrote:We need fairy stories to entertain us, cheer us up, divert us, this is yet another real-life fairy story, +1

Cast the bait and reel them in........ Cyril Haearn you're either a great optimist or baiting the trap :) .

Not sure about God shaving the prince of wales but we have lots of fairy stories read to us by the great story teller David Davis.

On an aside is Greg Clark a prototype cyborg as he presents himself very well as such, very AI, perhaps a part in robocop 4 may be in the offing.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

old_windbag wrote:

Cast the bait and reel them in........ Cyril Haearn you're either a great optimist or baiting the trap :) .

Not sure about God shaving the prince of wales but we have lots of fairy stories read to us by the great story teller David Davis.

On an aside is Greg Clark a prototype cyborg as he presents himself very well as such, very AI, perhaps a part in robocop 4 may be in the offing.

Yes I am a terrible optimist or try to be..
And I am a part-trained Maerchenerzaehler, teller of fairytales, or rather a *Maerchenplauderer* cos I elaborate the stories a bit
Maybe one could remember the fairytale Princess Diana instead of the unkind Lady Thatcher?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

Enough of this leftwing claptrap,let's all get behind the royal family and join them in their joy and happiness.
It'll take our minds off the crap we keep getting fed daily :shock:

+1!
I read that MM is to become the Duchess of Sussex
What about the Countess of Lancashire instead, or as well? :wink:
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Cyril Haearn wrote:And I am a part-trained Maerchenerzaehler, teller of fairytales

I wonder if anyone remembers this programme, I do very well and eucalypta( the witch ) has a very bird of prey like look about her, in fact as a 5 year old watching it was quite unsettling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqJcXSYG2-s