Harry is marrying Ms Merkel?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Harry is marrying Ms Merkel?

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:In chess there is a manoeuvre called castling where pieces jump over each other and change into something else (?!)
You are not Magnus Carlsen AI(D)CMFP!

I'm no good at chess, but I do know that castling does involve 'jumping over' but the pieces (Rook and King) don't change into anything else.

A pawn that reaches the eighth rank is exchanged for any other piece except a King. Usually a Queen is chosen.

That more or less sums up my knowledge of the game!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

What's the betting they won't invite Harry's father to the wedding?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Now now! :roll:

I got moderated in the Grauniad (something that doesn't happen very often to me) for so much as dropping a veiled hint that Harry's parentage might still be open to question.....

All I can say is that the most often-cited 'suspect' has categorically denied that he had sex with Diana before Harry's birth. While Diana, sadly, can no longer speak for herself, others in the frame might have powerful lawyers to hand....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

661-Pete wrote:Now now!

Clearly never read the post of 27th nov 11.07pm
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

old_windbag wrote:Clearly never read the post of 27th nov 11.07pm
Oh yes I did! But that was before the dear old Mods over at the Graun stormed in and removed one of mine.... :oops:
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

661-Pete wrote:But that was before the dear old Mods over at the Graun stormed in and removed one of mine.... :oops:

I'll see you in the tower then, apparently some of the cells have a nice view of the ravens and beefeaters( even if a bit damp ) :lol: .
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One finds the similar names very confusing

Merkel (Merkel-Sauer?), Markle, there is a food store here called Merchel

And what about mercalia, that is spelt almost the same :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Oh for heaven's sake! He is NOT marrying Ms Merkel.

He's marrying Miss Marple
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

old_windbag wrote:
661-Pete wrote:But that was before the dear old Mods over at the Graun stormed in and removed one of mine.... :oops:

I'll see you in the tower then, apparently some of the cells have a nice view of the ravens and beefeaters( even if a bit damp ) :lol: .

OK, but I'm still a bit worried about this piece of equipment (still on display in the Tower I believe):
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

AlaninWales wrote:He's marrying Miss Marple
A propos - anyone remember the slogan MARPLES MUST GO boldly emblazoned on a flyover over the M1 for yonks?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

On a completely different aspect, that Ms Markle is a US citizen means she will have to fill in a US tax return
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/meghan-markle-us-citizenship-royal-family-finances-tax-leaks-obligations-america-dual-prince-harry-a8082236.html wrote:Meghan Markle’s US citizenship could expose the royal family’s secretive finances and leave them at risk of leaks
...if she has more than $150,000 (£119,000) in assets at any point during the tax year - a likely scenario given her successful acting career and the family wealth of her husband - she will be expected to annually file a document called Form 8938 that will reveal the detail of these assets, which could include foreign trusts.
Though Markle's tax information would not become public once sent to the United States, it would leave the royal family open not only to IRS review but also the risk that the information could leak. The family's labyrinthine fiscal arrangements were already partially exposed by the Paradise Papers leak earlier this month, which revealed that Queen Elizabeth's estate has invested money in offshore tax havens.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:On a completely different aspect, that Ms Markle is a US citizen means she will have to fill in a US tax return

Only if she remains a US citizen. I know it says she may have to wait years to become a British citizen, but is there really any barrier to the crown basically just awarding it, in the guise of the Home Secretary under http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61/section/6 and using all the disregards they're allowed in Schedule 1?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

Has she passed her "Life in the UK" (or whatever it's called) residence test? Signed up for her English language course and "shown progress"?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Ruadh495 wrote:Has she passed her "Life in the UK" (or whatever it's called) residence test? Signed up for her English language course and "shown progress"?

well she wont pass the English test :lol: Heh princess what are bikes made of these days? oh Aluminum. fail, go back to where you came from.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:He's marrying Miss Marple
A propos - anyone remember the slogan MARPLES MUST GO boldly emblazoned on a flyover over the M1 for yonks?

I remember that, or I saw a photo of it

But who was Marples and who wanted him to go? :roll: has he gone at last?

I do know who Beeching was and where he is now - he was banished to Riccarton Junction to wait for the next train, +1!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies