Harry is marrying Ms Merkel?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Harry is marrying Ms Merkel?

Post by 661-Pete »

I missed it all. Well, no, not quite missed it all. We lunched in a restaurant and they had the TV on (at the opposite end of the room, luckily). There seemed to be a lot of footage of a bloke with a ginger beard, and a woman in a white dress. There was some music. Would that be it....? :?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:May the homeless people go back now?

yup they are not an embarrassment now? Im not really very politically minded but starting to get a bit angry

You can calm down now it is over, there is not a Fairytale Wedding every year :wink:
Mrs Merkel and Mr Putin are getting on well, he gave her some flowers. But they are both otherwise happily married
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

what I dont understand is why was ginger dressed in military uniform? dont he have a proper suit?
not as if he is a proper soldier? do firemen get get wed in their job rags? something rather sinister here? the whole thing stinks of "we are your betters"
horizon

Post by horizon »

Well, can anyone sort this out?

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, the new Duke and Duchess of Sussex, drove off to their evening reception in Frogmore House in the grounds of Windsor Palace in an electric 1968 silver blue Jaguar E-type on Saturday evening.

It's from the Guardian - if anyone can screen save it that would be nice. I'm happy to be corrected.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:I missed it all. Well, no, not quite missed it all. We lunched in a restaurant and they had the TV on (at the opposite end of the room, luckily). There seemed to be a lot of footage of a bloke with a ginger beard, and a woman in a white dress. There was some music. Would that be it....? :?

I won't eat in a restaurant that has a TV on,it's the same with their choice of musk.Grrrr :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:what I dont understand is why was ginger dressed in military uniform? dont he have a proper suit?
not as if he is a proper soldier? do firemen get get wed in their job rags? something rather sinister here? the whole thing stinks of "we are your betters"

Pardon? AIUI he has seen frontline active service, as such is certainly a braver man than me, and had every right to wear it.
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 20 May 2018, 8:51am, edited 1 time in total.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:
661-Pete wrote:I missed it all. Well, no, not quite missed it all. We lunched in a restaurant and they had the TV on (at the opposite end of the room, luckily). There seemed to be a lot of footage of a bloke with a ginger beard, and a woman in a white dress. There was some music. Would that be it....? :?

I won't eat in a restaurant that has a TV on,it's the same with their choice of musk.Grrrr :evil:

I quite agree, but I didn't notice the TV until we'd already sat down and were looking at the menu. At least it wasn't a pub...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mercalia wrote:what I dont understand is why was ginger dressed in military uniform? dont he have a proper suit?

Pardon? AIUI he has seen active service, as such is certainly a braver man than me, and had every right to wear it.

There is very little to do with reality when it comes to the need to insult the royals, it is about lies, making things up, abuse, and the more offensive the better

The quick answer is that ALL the Military and Civilian Services can and often do get married in their Uniform,yet more reality being ignored

In direct answer, here are some very naughty firemen and firewomen orpessing the population:

As a "Ginger" who got married in full Naval Uniform, I can only apologise on behalf to the thousands of servicemen, both civil and military who got married in uniform for such a heinous and selfish act

I assume that cycle club colours are also as comptemtible for wearing uniform st a wedding ..... how very dare they, the whole thing stinks of "we are your betters"

Last edited by Cunobelin on 20 May 2018, 9:07am, edited 2 times in total.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

... and a quick article about why using "Ginger" as an insult should not be acceptable

Abuse of a person because of race, colour , creed or any physical characteristic should be unacceptable in this day and age
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I hope I'm forgiven then for typing the words "bloke with a ginger beard". Only flippancy intended, no racial slur :oops: . I don't have a beard, but I have grey hair. Anyone who wishes to refer to me as 'fat (-ish) bloke with grey hair' is heartily welcome!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cunobelin wrote:... and a quick article about why using "Ginger" as an insult should not be acceptable

Abuse of a person because of race, colour , creed or any physical characteristic should be unacceptable in this day and age
Although I agree with that statement generally, I was in the RN and we had many many nicknames for people based on race, creed, colour, height, body shape ....................
Ginge
Lofty
Titch
Jock
Snowy
Baldy
Granddad
Skin
Blondy
Scouse
Brum
Jan
Tubs
Stumpy

The list is almost endless.
None of it was malicious.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

661-Pete wrote:I hope I'm forgiven then for typing the words "bloke with a ginger beard". Only flippancy intended, no racial slur :oops: . I don't have a beard, but I have grey hair. Anyone who wishes to refer to me as 'fat (-ish) bloke with grey hair' is heartily welcome!

Not at all, descriptive terms are different, someone being described as having a ginger beard, blue eyes, long hair is fine, it is the use of the term as in calling someone a "ginger" or using in a way that is purely prejudicial and intended as derogatory or as an insult.

Mick F is the same, none of these names were intended as insults, and were often ironic. that is the difference

I was "Bungy" for 20 years, simply because that was the tradition for my name. I also had a colleague who for years was known as "Tumble" simply because his name was "Dwyer"

As a branch were were "Docs" or "Scablifters" amongst the various descriptions
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cunobelin wrote:.....
In direct answer, here are some very naughty firemen and firewomen orpessing the population:

In what way are those firemen oppressing the population. You keep calling for facts then maybe you could explain how those firemen are oppressing the population as you have asserted.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Pardon? AIUI he has seen active service, as such is certainly a braver man than me, and had every right to wear it.

There is very little to do with reality when it comes to the need to insult the royals, it is about lies, making things up, abuse, and the more offensive the better

The quick answer is that ALL the Military and Civilian Services can and often do get married in their Uniform,yet more reality being ignored

As a "Ginger" who got married in full Naval Uniform, I can only apologise on behalf to the thousands of servicemen, both civil and military who got married in uniform for such a heinous and selfish act

I assume that cycle club colours are also as comptemtible for wearing uniform st a wedding ..... how very dare they, the whole thing stinks of "we are your betters"

well the exception doesnt prove the rule. How many do? they are the exception I bet. do all or most firemen/police/nurses/bus drivers/air plane pilots-hostesess/ use their work togs at their wedding? I doubt it. I have noticed a lot of your arguments are like that, you use an exception to prove a rule. you present your rebutalls as facts where as the implications are just as much conjectures. Sophistry. I noticed you never provided evidence for a previous fact you claimed that was really your own conjecture. what ever you say it is still a very strange custom you clearly dont think so.

take charley boy at his wedding, he was a pilot for some time I understand but this picture is some thing else - is that a pilots dress uniform? maybe it is I stand to be corrected. I dont think he did when he remarried, thats one point in his favour
charles.JPG
Last edited by mercalia on 20 May 2018, 9:57am, edited 2 times in total.