Harry is marrying Ms Merkel?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: Harry is marrying Ms Merkel?

Post by Bonefishblues »

It's obvious you have no time for the Royals, that's fine, but you overstate your case somewhat, which rather detracts from the points you attempt to make.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Psamathe wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:.....
In direct answer, here are some very naughty firemen and firewomen orpessing the population:

In what way are those firemen oppressing the population. You keep calling for facts then maybe you could explain how those firemen are oppressing the population as you have asserted.

Ian

Because getting married in Uniform is sinister snd stinks of stinks of "we are your betters"

By stating so clearly they are "our betters" they are oppressive.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Pardon? AIUI he has seen active service, as such is certainly a braver man than me, and had every right to wear it.

There is very little to do with reality when it comes to the need to insult the royals, it is about lies, making things up, abuse, and the more offensive the better

The quick answer is that ALL the Military and Civilian Services can and often do get married in their Uniform,yet more reality being ignored

In direct answer, here are some very naughty firemen and firewomen orpessing the population:

As a "Ginger" who got married in full Naval Uniform, I can only apologise on behalf to the thousands of servicemen, both civil and military who got married in uniform for such a heinous and selfish act

I assume that cycle club colours are also as comptemtible for wearing uniform st a wedding ..... how very dare they, the whole thing stinks of "we are your betters"

well the exception doesnt prove the rule. How many do? they are the exception I bet. do all or most firemen/police/nurses/bus drivers/air plane pilots-hostesess/ use their work togs at their wedding? I doubt it. I have noticed a lot of your arguments are like that, you use an exception to prove a rule. you present your rebutalls as facts where as the implications are just as much conjectures. Sophistry. I noticed you never provided evidence for a previous fact you claimed that was really your own conjecture. what ever you say it is still a very strange custom you clearly dont think so.

Which really relies rather on your claims being true. Service weddings in uniform are the majority, not as you claim an exception. You asked about Firemen and again the answer is that they are far from the exception. I note that you have now added a whole new range of profession to pin up your failing argument

take charley boy at his wedding, he was a pilot for some time I understand but this picture is some thing else - is that a pilots dress uniform? maybe it is I stand to be corrected. I dont think he did when he remarried, thats one point in his favour
charles.JPG

You also seem unaware that medals and awards such as wings can and are worn after the role has ceased or one has left that Service.

It is also appropriate and again frequently the case that Uniform can be worn after one has left the service
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cunobelin wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:.....

In what way are those firemen oppressing the population. You keep calling for facts then maybe you could explain how those firemen are oppressing the population as you have asserted.

Ian

Because getting married in Uniform is sinister snd stinks of stinks of "we are your betters"

I completely disagree. In what way are those firemen presenting themselves as "our betters". This is totally ludicrous. If people make sensible valid points I will consider their point and may change my position, may disagree, etc.

You claim firemen and fire women getting married in their uniforms is "orpessing the population". What difference between wearing a uniform at work or outside work? I can't even see why people wearing a uniform are stating they are "our betters". Do I take offence at my post lady because she is wearing a uniform and thus declaring she is "my better". I'm beyond lost.

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

"ich dien"
I serve

That is the purpose of uniforms, to indicate that one serves (in many different ways)

I want to serve as a Station-Master :wink:

Do policepersons serve, or dispense *orders*?
Both, I'll be bound

What about prisoners in uniform, do most prisoners wear uniform?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
661-Pete wrote:I missed it all. Well, no, not quite missed it all. We lunched in a restaurant and they had the TV on (at the opposite end of the room, luckily). There seemed to be a lot of footage of a bloke with a ginger beard, and a woman in a white dress. There was some music. Would that be it....? :?

I won't eat in a restaurant that has a TV on,it's the same with their choice of musk.Grrrr :evil:

I quite agree, but I didn't notice the TV until we'd already sat down and were looking at the menu. At least it wasn't a pub...

In that case I'll let you off this time :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Psamathe wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Psamathe wrote:In what way are those firemen oppressing the population. You keep calling for facts then maybe you could explain how those firemen are oppressing the population as you have asserted.

Ian

I completely disagree. In what way are those firemen presenting themselves as "our betters". This is totally ludicrous. If people make sensible valid points I will consider their point and may change my position, may disagree, etc.

You claim firemen and fire women getting married in their uniforms is "orpessing the population". What difference between wearing a uniform at work or outside work? I can't even see why people wearing a uniform are stating they are "our betters". Do I take offence at my post lady because she is wearing a uniform and thus declaring she is "my better". I'm beyond lost.

Ian

I agree fully, I neither find the wearing of uniform a claim of being better, sinister or inappropriate for weddings

The post was in reply to the claims:

mercalia wrote:
what I dont understand is why was ginger dressed in military uniform? dont he have a proper suit?
not as if he is a proper soldier? do firemen get get wed in their job rags? something rather sinister here? the whole thing stinks of "we are your betters"

The post stated off with unacceptable slurs, proceeded to ridicule two front line tours in Afghanistan and then made assumptions about why people wear uniform

From that principle, it was a logical conclusion that by wearing uniform these people (and anyone else wearing a uniform) was guilty of this offensive behaviour. A ludicrous answer to highlight an equally ludicrous proposition

I agree fully, people wearing uniforms do so for many reasons, whether that be to identify themselves within a role or community or to establish a position within that community. They do not wear uniform to appear sinister or to belittle others.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:take charley boy at his wedding, he was a pilot for some time I understand but this picture is some thing else - is that a pilots dress uniform? maybe it is I stand to be corrected. I dont think he did when he remarried, thats one point in his favour
You most certainly do, merc - and keep digging if that's what you enjoy!

I'm not well up on the armed services, but even I can recognise a naval officer's uniform when I see one, and what Prince Charles was wearing happens to be that of the rank of Commander (the equivalent of a Lieutenant-Colonel in Army ranks). I presume Charles did indeed have that rank during his Naval service.

But to me, what clothes are chosen to be worn at a wedding don't matter a jot, except that one is expected to be smart, and a bit of showing-off is acceptable - indeed, encouraged. I once went to a wedding where several guys wore kilts - although I doubt if they were used to wearing that garment in everyday life. Why not?

I suppose letting the Press (the tabloids especially) have a bit of a field-day in speculating on a bride's dress (is it meant to be top-secret until the day?) is something we have to accept - even though I find it tedious. But the devoting of about 90% of the BBC news to a single topic is something that really makes me reach for the OFF-button. As it happens, I didn't turn on the TV once yesterday. There was just that inescapable exposure in the restaurant... :lol:
Last edited by 661-Pete on 20 May 2018, 11:47am, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

661-Pete wrote:
mercalia wrote:take charley boy at his wedding, he was a pilot for some time I understand but this picture is some thing else - is that a pilots dress uniform? maybe it is I stand to be corrected. I dont think he did when he remarried, thats one point in his favour
charles.JPG
You most certainly do, merc - and keep digging if that's what you enjoy!

I'm not well up on the armed services, but even I can recognise a naval officer's uniform when I see one, and what Prince Charles was wearing happens to be that of the rank of Commander (the equivalent of a Lieutenant-Colonel in Army ranks). I presume Charles did indeed have that rank during his Naval service.

But to me, what clothes are chosen to be worn at a wedding don't matter a jot, except that one is expected to be smart, and a bit of showing-off is acceptable - indeed, encouraged. I once went to a wedding where several guys wore kilts - although I doubt if they were used to wearing that garment in everyday life. Why not?

I suppose letting the Press (the tabloids especially) have a bit of a field-day in speculating on a bride's dress (is it meant to be top-secret until the day?) is something we have to accept - even though I find it tedious. But the devoting of about 90% of the BBC news to a single topic is something that really makes me reach for the OFF-button. As it happens, I didn't turn on the TV once yesterday. There was just that inescapable exposure in the restaurant... :lol:

OMG... not only am I a uniform wearing person with ginger hair, but I also have (and wear) a kilt although only on special occasions.

You are correct though any serviceman is entitled to wear their uniform on such occasions.
IN fact given the claims it is ironic that both Charles and Harry chose to wear uniforms and honours that they have earned as opposed to the honorary (and higher) ranks they could have worn.

Another nail in the coffin of intimidation claims
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cunobelin wrote:IN fact given the claims it is ironic that both Charles and Harry chose to wear uniforms and honours that they have earned as opposed to the honorary (and higher) ranks they could have worn.
A bit of googling, and I see that at the Queen's wedding, Philip* wore a Naval Lieutenant's uniform
(one less stripe on the sleeve than a Commander's: note). I believe that was indeed his substantive rank at the time, and the fact that he was bumped all the way up to Admiral Of The Fleet subsequently, is purely honorary and incidental.

*I suppose - given the turn this thread has taken - it would be inappropriate of me to refer to this person by the well-known nickname touching on his country of origin....? :oops: But I can't deny that I am no fan of his.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Debs

Post by Debs »

Fancy dress uniforms can be fun though...
I thought William looked absolutely 'F.A.B. Virgil" wearing his Thunderbird outfit 8)

and seen here looking up at the Thunderbird 2 fly past:

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Ian

I agree fully, I neither find the wearing of uniform a claim of being better, sinister or inappropriate for weddings

mercalia wrote:
what I dont understand is why was ginger dressed in military uniform? dont he have a proper suit?
not as if he is a proper soldier? do firemen get get wed in their job rags? something rather sinister here? the whole thing stinks of "we are your betters"

The post stated off with unacceptable slurs, proceeded to ridicule two front line tours in Afghanistan and then made assumptions about why people wear uniform

From that principle, it was a logical conclusion that by wearing uniform these people (and anyone else wearing a uniform) was guilty of this offensive behaviour. A ludicrous answer to highlight an equally ludicrous proposition

I agree fully, people wearing uniforms do so for many reasons, whether that be to identify themselves within a role or community or to establish a position within that community. They do not wear uniform to appear sinister or to belittle others.

you like to impute general implcations that aint there. you have a strange sense of logic, furthermore what the royals and what you and I do have a differnt significance that you dont want to consider. just as when Charlie boy was invested as the prince of wales the whole ceremony though sounding ancient was a complete fabrication, I understand. had no historical validity to it. You gave examples of firemen and cyclists getting hitched in their firemen uniforms and cycling gear, often things like that get reported because they are unusual: if every one did it why would it be news worthy?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What about this famous couple?
Register.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick F wrote:What about this famous couple?Register.jpg

A proper uniform before they sewed in the silks and collar
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I completely disagree. In what way are those firemen presenting themselves as "our betters". This is totally ludicrous. If people make sensible valid points I will consider their point and may change my position, may disagree, etc.

Ian

mercalia wrote:

you like to impute general implcations that aint there. you have a strange sense of logic, furthermore what the royals and what you and I do have a differnt significance that you dont want to consider. just as when Charlie boy was invested as the prince of wales the whole ceremony though sounding ancient was a complete fabrication, I understand. had no historical validity to it. You gave examples of firemen and cyclists getting hitched in their firemen uniforms and cycling gear, often things like that get reported because they are unusual: if every one did it why would it be news worthy?

... and there was me thinking it was a reply to YOUR question as to whether fireman got married in uniform

You introduced Firemen when you asked:

do firemen get get wed in their job rags?