Harry is marrying Ms Merkel?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Harry is marrying Ms Merkel?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It is quite strange to see group photos of politrickians
The males seem to be wearing uniform, maybe just with coloured ties
The females look like birds of paradise

Why?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
mercalia wrote:I see Merkel Sparkle went shopping in Brixton London in the M&S and bought a £45 jumper to go with her £590 Brando coat from Canadian retailer Smythe and £450 Burberry trousers - do they really think we are that stupid to think that this common touch convinces anyone? esp when for her offical engagements she wears togs worth £56,000 ( yes thats right more than most people earn in a year ) from Ralph & Russo. Oh by the way M&S were very happy as that jumper soon sold out as all the **** lickers wanted one

Inspirational...... Why is it only the females that get this abuse?

well she is really a puppet here, sad for her: but she chose it willingly,

I doubt that men wear clothes costing £56,000. I would like to know the cost of Harrys gear then had he bought a jumper he would have been targeted, but in this case it seems it was his other half the poor woman who was exploited by the "royal" machine - I hope she dont have the same fate as Diana.

The question still remains.....find an article where the cost of any male celebrity's outfit is challenged or even mentioned in teh article

The make royals also follow the same pattern of wearing British clothing to promote British Industry, yet I don't see Harry being abused as a "puppet" for wearing a British suit

It is just females that are open to this abuse.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

So, Big Brother has had his remaining hair cut short, according to many reports I saw today

A hairdresser praises his courage in accepting that he is rather bald at 35

I am not bald but I am proud of my grey hair and beard :)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I see that Republic are running a petition to stop public money being used to subsidise the wedding. https://www.republic.org.uk/petition/royal-wedding. Number of signatures low in absolute terms but I'm actually surprised it has got as high as it has (I'd have expected fewer people "signing"). Not the biggest new around and the organisation does not have massive prominence so I think they've done ok.

Of course even if they got millions of signatures our politicians would still completely ignore it.

Ian
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

I am not bald but I am proud of my grey hair and beard :)
Cycling? Of course, but it's far better on a Gillott

This is exactly what my mum says
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:I see that Republic are running a petition to stop public money being used to subsidise the wedding. https://www.republic.org.uk/petition/royal-wedding. Number of signatures low in absolute terms but I'm actually surprised it has got as high as it has (I'd have expected fewer people "signing"). Not the biggest new around and the organisation does not have massive prominence so I think they've done ok.

Of course even if they got millions of signatures our politicians would still completely ignore it.

Ian

I don't know what the fuss is about,they're royalty we are merely subjects and as such should be glad to see them have the best wedding available.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well it seems she is giving up a lot to become a stuffy princess?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43241866

"In addition to being an established actress, best known for her work on the popular TV drama Suits, Meghan set up and ran her own lifestyle blog called The Tig for almost three years.

The Tig was closed in April 2017, and all its articles were taken offline. Meghan's social media accounts were wiped in January, two months after her engagement to Prince Harry was announced"

I think she has paid too high a price and I hope she dont live to regret it. certainly hasnt done the feminist cause much good? seems to me she has opted for a very boring life style? she should have told her guy to give up his pretensions and become a normal guy, would have tested his love for her?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Generous gesture inviting some plebs along but seems not as generous as some expected:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/may/03/bring-your-own-picnic-royal-wedding-guests-bemused-by-lack-of-catering wrote:Bring your own picnic: royal wedding guests bemused by lack of catering
Commoners invited to Windsor Castle say they might have to resort to a McDonald’s takeaway

The invitation is meant to build bridges between the royal family and some of the most deprived parts of British society. Twelve-hundred handpicked members of the public – including inner-city youth workers from Coventry and community leaders from Bolton – will crowd inside the grounds of Windsor Castle to be among the first to see Prince Harry and Meghan Markle emerge as a married couple on Saturday 19 May.

But it seems the hospitality won’t extend far. Representatives of the royal family, which has an estimated net worth well in excess of £400m, have sent letters to these guests encouraging them to bring their own picnics, in a move described by one invitee as “unfathomable”.
...but guests have been encouraged in letters from lord lieutenants, the Queen’s representatives in the counties, “to bring a picnic lunch as it will not be possible to buy food and drink on site”.

To me this says it all about them.

Ian
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Psamathe wrote:...but guests have been encouraged in letters from lord lieutenants, the Queen’s representatives in the counties, “to bring a picnic lunch as it will not be possible to buy food and drink on site”.

To me this says it all about them.

Of course they can't do right for doing wrong, whatever they do they'll get criticism. A quick google suggests that a more upmarket buffet (so not Asda sausage rolls and Iceland frozen quiche) would be around £11.50 a head without drinks. That's £14,000 which is probably less than the cost of the bride's dress. But £11.50 would be criticised as too cheap or as money that should go to food banks or something.

We had a hot buffet for 70 guests which I really can't remember the cost of but the whole wedding (excluding the bride's dress which I never found out the price of) was £2,400.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

"let them eat cake"

to invite people to a wedding then tell them to bring their own food is hilariously mean. would you go? I wouldnt. maybe the nuptials should have been at a local Mc D's? Big Mac all around and a fizzy drink? :lol:
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mercalia wrote:"let them eat cake"

to invite people to a wedding then tell them to bring their own food is hilariously mean. would you go? I wouldnt. maybe the nuptials should have been at a local Mc D's? Big Mac all around and a fizzy drink? :lol:

That's still more than a fiver a head (though they'll get fries with that)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Ben@Forest wrote:
mercalia wrote:"let them eat cake"

That's still more than a fiver a head (though they'll get fries with that)

well no £2.99 if you use a previous till receipt and answer their questionaire

https://www.mcdfoodforthoughts.com/?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

a big mac and free medium fries £1.99
add a cola drink makes it up to just under £3 - even the penny pinching royals could afford that?
you could imagine them saying to their guests - please bring you previous McD receipt to save us some money :lol:
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mercalia wrote:a big mac and free medium fries £1.99
add a cola drink makes it up to just under £3 - even the penny pinching royals could afford that?
you could imagine them saying to their guests - please bring you previous McD receipt to save us some money :lol:

I've got a feeling that revealing an intimate knowledge of McD's will win few friends on this forum...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ben@Forest wrote:
mercalia wrote:a big mac and free medium fries £1.99

I've got a feeling that revealing an intimate knowledge of McD's will win few friends on this forum...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Ben@Forest wrote:I've got a feeling that revealing an intimate knowledge of McD's will win few friends on this forum...
I suspect that all that info can be got by browsing their website. You don't actually have to have eaten one of those things.... :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).