Reecommendtions for a pithy remark

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
freeflow

Reecommendtions for a pithy remark

Post by freeflow »

'm currently working with someone in the US who is unable to take the hint that writing the user instructions and data recording sections of his batch manufacturing records using 7 point arial font, single line spacing with multiple actions per paragraph is not a recipe for success.

Suggestions for suitable punishments and or pithy remarks are welcome.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Reecommendtions for a pithy remark

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybetryhisownmedicinewritesoitmakesnosense

I have a good supply of pithy remarks, can you explain a bit more what he is doing wrong?

Do you know him, have you spoken to or met him, where are you and he in the pecking order?

Merci
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

freeflow wrote:'m currently working with someone in the US who is unable to take the hint that writing the user instructions and data recording sections of his batch manufacturing records using 7 point arial font, single line spacing with multiple actions per paragraph is not a recipe for success.

Don't hint. US Americans are used to bluntness, and the British means of gently trying to steer someone in the right direction doesn't work very well. This has been a frequent difficulty in in internal communications in my home. I have some expertise in this area.

State quite clearly: Use XX font size and XXXX type, please.

It will ease the pain, if you also give him/her a clear reason and/or refer to a standard relating to the requirement.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Could be worse.
I once worked with a designer that had a liking for variability, he discovered that Word had a 256 fonts/page limit!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Seems like a good way forward to me. It will save on paper and ink cost.

Above all else nobody ever reads the instructions anyway :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Many years ago I knew a chap who had worked in industry. They had completed a large machine and the operating instructions had been afixed to the machine as they evolved.
On the last page they had been atributed to an author "R Suppards"
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Buy him a large magnifying glass for Xmas.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Vorpal wrote:
freeflow wrote:'m currently working with someone in the US who is unable to take the hint that writing the user instructions and data recording sections of his batch manufacturing records using 7 point arial font, single line spacing with multiple actions per paragraph is not a recipe for success.

Don't hint. US Americans are used to bluntness, and the British means of gently trying to steer someone in the right direction doesn't work very well. This has been a frequent difficulty in in internal communications in my home. I have some expertise in this area.

State quite clearly: Use XX font size and XXXX type, please.

It will ease the pain, if you also give him/her a clear reason and/or refer to a standard relating to the requirement.

This!
It is uncertain who said "two nations divided by [the illusion of] a common language", but my original (?) addition there makes it clearer (to me :lol: ). Best plan is probably to take the input, re-do it into single-action paragraphs with appropriate spacing and indentation and then return it with "I think this is more understandable by us ordinary humans".
Adlopa

Post by Adlopa »

Obligatory...

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

:lol: :lol:

I would have translated 'quite good' as 'almost good', but otherwise it looks about right.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It is much easier to communicate with Europeans %+)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:It is much easier to communicate with Europeans %+)

Except that many of them learn language use from American films...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:It is much easier to communicate with Europeans %+)

Except that many of them learn language use from American films...

Not in Germany, it is hard to find a cinema showing films in original, there are lots of interesting French films for example, one cinema offered three at the same time but all dubbed in German %-(

Soon Churchill will be on the silver screen again, dubbed in German, that really does not feel right

Plenty of German films in German mind %)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Si vous prenez ma place prenez aussi mon handicap – “If you take my space, take my disability, too.”
according to Guardian
if you take a disabled parking space in France
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Mr Flinders works with many nationalities. He reminded me of the old saw that the Germans are too truthful to be polite, and the British are too polite to be truthful. He prefers to have to deal with the German approach if he has to choose. (I hasten to add that he is both polite and truthful; I am more German, with dangerous Anglo-Saxon overtones if lied to or otherwise crossed.)

I have a lot of American friends who I like very much and who are very decent people with a good sense of proportion, but I do find that, well, how can I put this? that some other Americans, especially younger ones, seem to need to be told how wonderful they are for doing even the most basic tasks or they get all hurt. That's tiring if you are like me, and tend only to seriously enthuse when someone has done something very special.