Is Trump Mad?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Is Trump Mad?

yes
65%
no
25%
maybe
6%
maybe not
2%
dont know
2%

Total votes: 143

reohn2

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Post by reohn2 »

Cunobelin wrote:Fake News is becoming a big issue that really needs to be challenged by the press

The dismissal of genuine stories that should be investigated is unacceptable

I did love the dutch handling of the new Ambassador to the Netherlands Peter Hoekstra.

He once made the statement that

“The Islamic movement has now gotten to a point where they have put Europe into chaos — chaos in the Netherlands, there are cars being burned, there are politicians that are being burned,” he said while speaking on a panel at a conference at the David Horowitz Freedom Center, a far-right think tank, at the time. “And yes, there are no-go zones in the Netherlands.”

The Dutch Press asked about the statement, and asked to name a Dutch politician that had been burned and he used the standard Trump type reply by repeating a statement that closes the discussion and moving the next reporter.

It was then pointed out that in the Netherlands, that is not the way it works ..... when the press asks a question, you answer!

He was repeatedly asked to answer the question, and then on the final Trumpism of stating ..."There are no more question" the reply was that there were!

Perhaps the US press should take some lessons from the Dutch

I saw that interview and you're quite right the US should.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Deeply, deeply mistrustful of the establishment which they perceive has served them so badly these many years past.

So much so that they have willingly aligned behind someone who looks wholly different when cast in another light. I remain optimistic that sufficient will wake in good time.

And as a result the US electorate accept the likes of Trump and Clinton as candidates to run and represent their country,as I said what does it make them,could there be any worse evils than those two?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:.......I do note this little detail: that the WP refers to Hoekstra as "Trump's ambassador to the Netherlands" and not "The United States ambassador to the Netherlands". To me, that conveys something significant.... :roll:

Yep it's a little significant truth,maybe because Trump is trying to act like some North Korean or Chinese dictator who can't be shifted from office,hence his statement last week that the if he's removed from power the economy will tank :?
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Deeply, deeply mistrustful of the establishment which they perceive has served them so badly these many years past.

So much so that they have willingly aligned behind someone who looks wholly different when cast in another light. I remain optimistic that sufficient will wake in good time.

And as a result the US electorate accept the likes of Trump and Clinton as candidates to run and represent their country,as I said what does it make them,could there be any worse evils than those two?

How odd, I posted a reply to this but it's gone AWOL!

Hey-ho, we've rehearsed it before, anyway :?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

reohn2 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Fake News is becoming a big issue that really needs to be challenged by the press

The dismissal of genuine stories that should be investigated is unacceptable

I did love the dutch handling of the new Ambassador to the Netherlands Peter Hoekstra.

He once made the statement that

“The Islamic movement has now gotten to a point where they have put Europe into chaos — chaos in the Netherlands, there are cars being burned, there are politicians that are being burned,” he said while speaking on a panel at a conference at the David Horowitz Freedom Center, a far-right think tank, at the time. “And yes, there are no-go zones in the Netherlands.”

The Dutch Press asked about the statement, and asked to name a Dutch politician that had been burned and he used the standard Trump type reply by repeating a statement that closes the discussion and moving the next reporter.

It was then pointed out that in the Netherlands, that is not the way it works ..... when the press asks a question, you answer!

He was repeatedly asked to answer the question, and then on the final Trumpism of stating ..."There are no more question" the reply was that there were!

Perhaps the US press should take some lessons from the Dutch

I saw that interview and you're quite right the US should.

To a small extent it has, with one brave young journalist:

I can't find the reference now, but a question was asked of Sarah Huccaby, who failed to answer, cut the reporter dead and moved on.

The next Journalist stood up and stated she hadn't answered and could he refer her back to his colleagues question

He was quickly in trouble with is bosses as this type of activity can lead to your press access being removed, or being cut out of questions, neither of which is good for the individual press organisation.

However nor is an bullying and corrupt environment where a "Free Press" has to be sycophantic and cannot do their job for fear of the reprisals

This administration is worrying in this respect
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The only person Donald Trump has ever appointed who had the required knowledge, experience and skills for the post.... was Stormy Daniels
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

With respect to Ms Daniels, I thought it was Trump who had the 'knowledge'....

....in the Biblical sense.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Brilliant performance by the UN at Trump's speech (or rather in response to Trumps speech). His ludicrous claims about his achievements and the UN ... laughed
[youtube]eN2jqTilLOM[/youtube]

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Do you suppose we'll all wake up and realise that it was all a dream?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Bonefishblues wrote:Do you suppose we'll all wake up and realise that it was all a dream?

Alas, the past 75 years were the dream and we are now once more waking to the realities of the human hegemony - the reality that as a species we are seriously flawed - dangerous to others and ourselves; dangerous to every other living thing.

We in The West or First World have been extremely lucky in that two world wars briefly brought us all to our senses and we arranged a period of relative quietude. The experiences and associated lessons of two world wars are now forgot with all those getting the lesson directly now dead.

Back to normal-human now. For details, see history.

Progress? Ha!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Do you suppose we'll all wake up and realise that it was all a dream?

A nightmare perhaps :shock: :?

PS,I'd rather listen to the shipping forecast....
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote:

Alas, the past 75 years were the dream and we are now once more waking to the realities of the human hegemony - the reality that as a species we are seriously flawed - dangerous to others and ourselves; dangerous to every other living thing.

We in The West or First World have been extremely lucky in that two world wars briefly brought us all to our senses and we arranged a period of relative quietude. The experiences and associated lessons of two world wars are now forgot with all those getting the lesson directly now dead.

Back to normal-human now. For details, see history.

Progress? Ha!

Cugel

I watched New Lives in the Wild last evening,a program where Ben Fogle spends some time with people who have opted out of mainstream society.
Last nights episode was spent with a backwoodsman named Robert in Arkansas who's simple life was an inspiration,if anyone gets the chance to watch it please do.
The likes of Trump,as they should,have no meaning to such people,yet are capable at the press of a button or giving of an order can ruin millions if not billions of such people's lives.
We truly,as you intimate,are a tragic species when so much power is in the hands of such lunatics.
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I don't think that the Trump team would allow him to push the button, based on the reports we've been hearing.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I don't think that the Trump team would allow him to push the button, based on the reports we've been hearing.

You're right of course but he can still cause a LOT of mayhem and misery by the way he's going at present.
I believe "a toal nut ball" our more sane cousins might term him :?
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

In the news last week something I found particularly disappointing/depressing was Trump talking about the alleged murder of Khashoggi by the Saudi's.Whilst he put on his stern face and said how serious it was, he then went on to say how whatever happened the US would still be selling them arms because it's worth $100bn in trade. Seems to be a complete lack of any moral compass, no concept of "doing the right thing".

To me, things like this say far more about somebody than Trump says about himself (which I must admit does provide good comedy).

Ian