Is Trump Mad?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Is Trump Mad?

yes
65%
no
25%
maybe
6%
maybe not
2%
dont know
2%

Total votes: 143

pwa

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Post by pwa »

simonineaston wrote:Two humourous quips I saw on YouTube comments today.
QAnon is just Scientology for the trailer park set.
There's a reason it's not called IQAnon

The conspiracy theory trend is a product of our increased reliance on social media for "information", and it is something that we need to get a grip on if society here in the UK is not to go mad. In the old days you could find a quirky but easily dismissed notion and not give it too much thought because your access to "information" came mainly through mainstream media which, though often biased, were a known quantity that you could filter. But it is now possible for people to get their world view from eccentric cults, leaving out mainstream media almost entirely. I believe violent Islamism is perpetuated by this, as is QAnon, and it is a trend that we all ought to be concerned about. I have no idea what any solution might look like.
Last edited by pwa on 15 Jan 2021, 9:28am, edited 1 time in total.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

simonineaston wrote:Two humourous quips I saw on YouTube comments today.
QAnon is just Scientology for the trailer park set.
There's a reason it's not called IQAnon

Both of those stereotypes are unfortunate and incorrect.

The majority of QAnon adherents, and Jan 6th rioters are middle class Americans; people for whom their primary means of engaging in politics (community, unions, volunteer organisations, etc.) have been significantly eroded in recent decades, or for whom their primary means of engaging in politics have been replaced by their church. Many people once got political analysis from their unions, and from clubs or other societies they belonged to. Now, they get it from the internet, TV, and churches.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/09 ... trump.html
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Here's Political Compass's analysis for the 2020 Presidential candidates and the UK parties...
Predictably, I like that a lot - I'm thinking of having it as the wallpaper in my lounge... :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Did you see the Leave EU org, has moved to Ireland? But the registered Irish owner chappie didn't know.
You couldn't make it up.

Update:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/15/leaveeu-has-domain-name-temporarily-suspended

Oh yes you could...

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote:
Here's Political Compass's analysis for the 2020 Presidential candidates and the UK parties...
Predictably, I like that a lot - I'm thinking of having it as the wallpaper in my lounge...

: - )

I like it... based on simple questions but lots of them, shows the big range between Democrat candidates, familiar two axes...

I'll see if I can get a picture of the recent migration of the "Conservative" Party...

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

Jdsk wrote:
simonineaston wrote:
Predictably, I like that a lot - I'm thinking of having it as the wallpaper in my lounge...

: - )

I like it... based on simple questions but lots of them, shows the big range between Democrat candidates, familiar two axes...

I'll see if I can get a picture of the recent migration of the "Conservative" Party...

Jonathan

It is a pity that on one of the few current affairs topics that nearly all of us can unite on enthusiastically, namely the damaging nature of Trump, some people want to lever in UK politics and make it a UK matter. Namely, if you have anything good to say about Boris you are a Trump supporter. That is pushing away potential allies. It is perpetuating division and doing the opposite of building bridges.

I didn't vote for Boris, but I don't for one minute see Boris and Trump as the same thing. When Boris and Trump have met it has been my impression that Boris was doing what all UK PMs have done with US Presidents, just flattering him and trying to bring him round in a matey way. Didn't Boris get caught out by being overheard being too candid about what he really thought of Trump when talking to Macron?

This is a thread about Trump's state of mind, not about UK domestic matters. Why not keep it that way and allow the existence of a thread on which we can unite?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Did you see the Leave EU org, has moved to Ireland? But the registered Irish owner chappie didn't know.
You couldn't make it up.

Update:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/15/leaveeu-has-domain-name-temporarily-suspended

Oh yes you could...

Jonathan

EURid were really quick of the mark suspending all .eu domains for UK registered people/companies. They had sent prior warnings. I had a .eu domain (but took out another domain name and switched e-mail, web site, etc. to the new one ages ago as EURid were posting blog entries about what they would have to do if UK left. I got notice of my .eu domain name being suspended within a few hours of the end of the transition period. They had been saying for some time you could change your registration address to one within an EU member state ...

Several years ago I registered my .eu domain for 10 years so still had quite a few years pre-paid and EURid giving no refunds (as they don't regard it as any decision they have taken but rather a decision the UK have taken), but I registered a complain with company I paid for the registration and they unilaterally refunded pro-rata (they "took the hit").

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Like it or not, there is a dynamic link between Johnson and Trump. Johnson was enthusiastic enough about The Orange Man and rude enough about Obama (recall that a lot of Obama's staff are about to pop up again in the next administration, some of whom have long memories...) for the link to be one that's going to have an impact on us here in the UK.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pwa wrote:... but I don't for one minute see Boris and Trump as the same thing.

I don't think that anyone has said that they are. But do you see any similarities in Johnson's casual lying, in the undermining of Parliament by the Executive, in the attacks on the judiciary, in the appointment of cronies without adequate scrutiny... ?

pwa wrote:This is a thread about Trump's state of mind, not about UK domestic matters. Why not keep it that way and allow the existence of a thread on which we can unite?

I don't speculate about other people's mental health. But even if a president of the United States were mentally ill what would matter is the effect on the country and the world.

What worries me about Trump is his vicious reactionary authoritarian dishonest lawbreaking approach to government. This is how fascism works and it's utterly depressing to see it happening again. But some people seem to find it hard to recognise it for what it is or how it works. Historical and international comparisons are one of the best tools for helping with that. So when I see some of the same in my own country I find it helpful to compare and contrast. And call it what it is and maybe even nip it in the bud.

Jonathan (crossed with simonineaton's.)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I cannot see into Trump's (or Johnson's) mind or soul. I can hear what he says and what he does and what the consequences are.

On that basis I judge Trump to be very evil and Johnson to be quite a lot evil. Trump is crude and ignorant; ditto Johnson with an Eton accent.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote:I cannot see into Trump's (or Johnson's) mind or soul. I can hear what he says and what he does and what the consequences are.

Well said.

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

Oldjohnw wrote:I cannot see into Trump's (or Johnson's) mind or soul. I can hear what he says and what he does and what the consequences are.

On that basis I judge Trump to be very evil and Johnson to be quite a lot evil. Trump is crude and ignorant; ditto Johnson with an Eton accent.

Trump is an extreme I thought I would never see in the top job in the US. Boris is a mediocre slapdash politician, but not actually evil. Comparing the two is just a bit silly.

And by turning this thread round to a UK politics thread you take something we can all unite on and return us to something that divides.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pwa wrote:Trump is an extreme I thought I would never see in the top job in the US. Boris is a mediocre slapdash politician, but not actually evil. Comparing the two is just a bit silly.

My comment above was more about the way that they work and the effects that they have than about them as people...

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

Jdsk wrote:
pwa wrote:Trump is an extreme I thought I would never see in the top job in the US. Boris is a mediocre slapdash politician, but not actually evil. Comparing the two is just a bit silly.

My comment above was more about the way that they work and the effects that they have than about them as people...

Jonathan

Trump, given the chance, would happily rule by decree and lock away dissenters. I don't consider Boris competent, but I think he would probably view that prospect with horror. I know he tried to temporarily suspend Parliamentary proceedings in a non-regular way, but that was probably, in his eyes, a bit of Parliamentary gamesmanship, part of the rough and tumble of Westminster. It was certainly unprincipled, but we are dealing with a naughty boy mentality here, rather than a megalomaniac. If we want to understand Boris, lets do that, but not through the prism of Trump.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pwa wrote:
Jdsk wrote:

Jonathan

Trump, given the chance, would happily rule by decree and lock away dissenters. I don't consider Boris competent, but I think he would probably view that prospect with horror. I know he tried to temporarily suspend Parliamentary proceedings in a non-regular way, but that was probably, in his eyes, a bit of Parliamentary gamesmanship, part of the rough and tumble of Westminster. It was certainly unprincipled, but we are dealing with a naughty boy mentality here, rather than a megalomaniac. If we want to understand Boris, lets do that, but not through the prism of Trump.

Closing down our democracy (illegally) is not a bit of Parliamentary gamesmanship, part of the rough and tumble of Westminster - it's avoiding scrutiny, preventing accountability and illegal. If Johnson views that as a "game" then he should be nowhere near any public office. If he did it not thinking it's a "game" then he should also be nowhere near any public office.

Ian