Is Trump Mad?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Is Trump Mad?

yes
65%
no
25%
maybe
6%
maybe not
2%
dont know
2%

Total votes: 143

old_windbag

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Post by old_windbag »

I don't think he's mad in any sense. What he has as a few above have mentioned is psychological traits that have in many respects paved his way to where he is now. He is an egotist and perhaps narcissist( having TRUMP in huge letters on everything he runs :roll: ), but he is a businessman always looking for the next big opportunity to make money. I think he's running the whitehouse as such and also playing world politics as if it were business competitors and CEO's he's dealing with, oh and throw in a bit of Trumps apprentice showmanship too.

He knows very much what he's doing when tweeting to create controversy. If it wasn't actually real it would be cheap entertainment. They've never had a president as much of a loose cannon and brash as this. But it seems to appeal to the making america great again camp( they are the equivalent of supporters of brexit over here :wink: ).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:I believe Trump knows exactly what he is doing, it fits with his worldview. His views are extreme right wing. I cannot think of another country today where a right wing extremist has been elected? Its an oddity and bad because its happened in the worlds wealthiest country?

Al

well that dont exclude him from being mad? Hitler also knew what he was doing?

I agree.
Trump is "locked and loaded" for war(profit),what he isn't prepared for is the kind of war he's facing.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:I wish Trump was mad.

Anone who sets up unnecessary conflict on the premise of religious belief isn't sane IMHO.

More likely alternatives:
a) this is a way to make loadsa dosh
b) his friends think it's a good idea
c) all of the above

That'll be about right,and is IMO a symptom of madness.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:

More likely alternatives:
a) this is a way to make loadsa dosh
b) his friends think it's a good idea
c) all of the above

My take is that he is:

Entirely without principle and ideology, meaning he is the ultimate pragmatist.
An extreme narcissist.
Dangerously unschooled in international affairs (well, any affairs tbh).
In some way subject to undue influence by Russia.
Not mad.

All of which adds upto madness IMO

We should be very very afraid.

+1 this man is quite capable of unleashing nuclear weapons on who he sees as an enemy,feeling justified in doing so and to hell with the consiquences.Mad as a March Hare! :?
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote:

Anone who sets up unnecessary conflict on the premise of religious belief isn't sane IMHO.

Oh, I can guarantee you that religious belief has nothing to do with it. Trump is not religious and never has been. He might be kind of Christian, in that, like most US Americans he grew up going to Church for Easter and Christmas. But religious? Not a chance. He says the words; nothing more.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Oh, I can guarantee you that religious belief has nothing to do with it. Trump is not religious and never has been. He might be kind of Christian, in that, like most US Americans he grew up going to Church for Easter and Christmas. But religious? Not a chance. He says the words; nothing more.

I posted, "on the premise of religious belief" I never thought he was or is religious,but uses the bible belt rightwing Christian loonies to promote his ego and narcissism to expand his empire,and IMO is only just getting into his stride as a fully fledged madman.

Troubling times,the rest of the world needs to distance itself from him and Israel IMO.
W H Auden
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

In the context of his aims and objectives his actions are surely entirely rational, the latter being squarely designed and implemented to achieve the former. Deeming his actions and thus him "mad" is rather avoiding the fact that both are simply evil. In a similar gloss to excuse/explain his constituency, a "majority" (sort of) of US voters are dismissed as "misguided" and "ignored" rather than as the vicious racist xenophobic ignorant (some may not be all those) mob that they are. I shall not for once draw the obvious comparison with the UK...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Jerusalem? Who was there first, I mean first of all? Just heard the question on the radio

Who was in Britain first?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

He may be mad, I'm not qualified to judge, but I doubt any decision is made by him alone. I would have thought there is a lot of manipualtion going on and the powers that be, not necessarily POTUS, know exactly what they are doing and the likely reaction.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

bigjim wrote:He may be mad, I'm not qualified to judge, but I doubt any decision is made by him alone. I would have thought there is a lot of manipualtion going on and the powers that be, not necessarily POTUS, know exactly what they are doing and the likely reaction.

It has been reported that in the case of recognising Jerusalem, he was advised by his son-in-law Jared Kushner (longtime family friend of Mr Netanyahu, and his parents have contributed to Israeli settlements in territories in dispute with Palestinians) - and that makes me wonder how Kushner was ever going to be able to bring the two sides together to bring peace to the conflict (which apparently he is). The inexperience and inappropriate background/beliefs of the individual Trump assigned to sort out the conflict reflect a total lack of Trump being in the "real world" and to he highlight the disaster that faces the US.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote:
bigjim wrote:He may be mad, I'm not qualified to judge, but I doubt any decision is made by him alone. I would have thought there is a lot of manipualtion going on and the powers that be, not necessarily POTUS, know exactly what they are doing and the likely reaction.

It has been reported that in the case of recognising Jerusalem, he was advised by his son-in-law Jared Kushner (longtime family friend of Mr Netanyahu, and his parents have contributed to Israeli settlements in territories in dispute with Palestinians) - and that makes me wonder how Kushner was ever going to be able to bring the two sides together to bring peace to the conflict (which apparently he is). The inexperience and inappropriate background/beliefs of the individual Trump assigned to sort out the conflict reflect a total lack of Trump being in the "real world" and to he highlight the disaster that faces the US.

Ian

Kushner is reported to be a figure of ridicule in that and other positions.

It's just as if the children have taken over their school.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Psamathe wrote:

It has been reported that in the case of recognising Jerusalem, he was advised by his son-in-law Jared Kushner (longtime family friend of Mr Netanyahu, and his parents have contributed to Israeli settlements in territories in dispute with Palestinians)

The Christian Right's enthusiasm for Jewish causes is rather complicated and not much to do with respect. Some Israelis might see a short term benefit in sucking up to Trump, but I think they are playing a very dangerous game. Among Trump's friends and supporters are many who would welcome another holocaust (I say 'another', but of course many don't recognise that it happened in the first place).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

more like the lunatics over the assylum?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Psamathe wrote:It has been reported that in the case of recognising Jerusalem, he was advised by his son-in-law Jared Kushner (longtime family friend of Mr Netanyahu, and his parents have contributed to Israeli settlements in territories in dispute with Palestinians) - and that makes me wonder how Kushner was ever going to be able to bring the two sides together to bring peace to the conflict (which apparently he is). The inexperience and inappropriate background/beliefs of the individual Trump assigned to sort out the conflict reflect a total lack of Trump being in the "real world" and to he highlight the disaster that faces the US.

Ian

more like the lunatics over the assylum?

That the lunatic is officially the head of.
Trump IMHO knows whats going on but doesn't know the consequences of the actions and desicions he is making because he can't see further than the wave of the ego on which he rides :?
The whole situation is weird and very unsettling,the result could be catastrophic for all concerned(all being the world),but egomaniacs seldom see further than their own ego,the aftermath can be desolation....
W H Auden
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mercalia wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:I believe Trump knows exactly what he is doing, it fits with his worldview. His views are extreme right wing. I cannot think of another country today where a right wing extremist has been elected? Its an oddity and bad because its happened in the worlds wealthiest country?

Al

well that dont exclude him from being mad? Hitler also knew what he was doing?

.................so did Thatcher.