Is Trump Mad?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Is Trump Mad?

yes
65%
no
25%
maybe
6%
maybe not
2%
dont know
2%

Total votes: 143

Bonefishblues

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Post by Bonefishblues »

Happy to revisit then, I know you can be relied upon for a resurrection :D

Holidaying with my American fishing buddy has given me a broader perspective than hitherto.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:Happy to revisit then, I know you can be relied upon for a resurrection :D

Holidaying with my American fishing buddy has given me a broader perspective than hitherto.

Please please share your knowledge with us!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Simply that it's different looking out than it is looking in, and that the American people knew very well what they were voting for, for good and ill.

Also that the more the liberal press knock him, the more it cements his core support as their guy, the one who 'stuck it to the man', to coin the phrase.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mad or not, worst-POTUS-ever or not (I've just been reading an article about one Millard Fillmore* - though hard to get one's head around the thought of his surpassing drumpf in awfulness...)...

....well, the present incumbent has at least got enough nous to know he's got to stay clear of our august capital, come next Friday.

No matter. I plan to be there (health permitting, I'm a bit under the weather at the mo'). And hope to persuade Mrs P to be there likewise. What's the point? some will say. It's a gesture, it's a show of togetherness, and the more enlightened and humanitarian people join in to make that gesture, the more effective it'll be. Certainly the T with his Tweeter habit will not be short of feedback on the joyful proceedings in London - and elsewhere....

*No, I'd never heard of him either...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Surely it would be possible to travel incognito under an assumed name
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

:shock:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, the Drumpf may be mad, but he wasn't mad enough to team up with Treeza and mix it with the nice friendly crowds waiting to greet him in London yesterday....

....or was he? Do my eyes deceive me?
trump&treeza 01.jpg
[dig the masks btw - nice work whoever at GMB dreamt them up - but look uncomfortable: hats off to the wearers]

This was the best poster in my opinion: thanks to the guy who let us photograph it!
trump_saigon.jpg
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:Well, the Drumpf may be mad, but he wasn't mad enough to team up with Treeza and mix it with the nice friendly crowds waiting to greet him in London yesterday....

....or was he? Do my eyes deceive me?
trump&treeza 01.jpg[dig the masks btw - nice work whoever at GMB dreamt them up - but look uncomfortable: hats off to the wearers]

This was the best poster in my opinion: thanks to the guy who let us photograph it!
trump_saigon.jpg

the reason why he was posing for a Madame Tussauds waxwork

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=123460
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

NEvans wrote:As said elsewhere some Americans love him and can't see what the problem is.

Since he has come to power; Employment has gone up, Share values have risen, crime has gone down. To us he is stark raving but to many Americans he's a breath of fresh air.

The Americans I know can't stand him. And more people voted for HC than voted for trump- and since then, his popularity has fallen, not risen. The economy has continued the growth that Obama set up, but that is starting to falter, and thanks to trumps' tax cuts, the country is moving into very high debt levels. It's worth going into debt for two things- to provide infrastructure, which generates wealth, or to improve public services, for the same reason. But he just handed out tax cuts to the rich, which is proven to have little effect on growth, to corporations, causing them not to invest, because it was not tied to investment as it ought to have been, but to buy back their own shares and to invest/move employment abroad. He has also had cut public spending on infrastructure, which damages industry in the medium and long term, and public services, which causes other problems which cost more to solve than providing public services to stop those problems.

He's also hell bent on preventing abortion. Quite apart from the fact that this infringes a woman's rights, if you look at the stats, when abortion is allowed, crime rates later fall, because women are not being forced to bring kids up in poverty and in in bad circumstances.

Trump's tariffs (which are illegal under international law anyway) will cost far more jobs in the US than they save and put up prices, making people poorer.

For examples, start with Trump's friends at Harley Davidson. Tax cuts helped them fund moving production abroad, they didn't spend the tax cuts making more jobs in the US, they actually closed a plant completely and without warning, and tariffs are going to threaten the remaining jobs they have in the US. As one sacked worker put it- 'yes, I got the tax cut (which for poor citizens is only a temporary one anyway) but I won't be paying any tax soon because I won't have a job'. And he'll be paying more for his goods.

Tariffs are bankrupting soya farmers in the US. And even the steel industry doesn't want them.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

East and West Coasts hated him even more than Hillary, but the vast majority of the US geography is Trump territory, if one thinks about it like that.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad has a great article about Beck Dorey-Stein who worked as a stenographer with Barack Obama, at the end she thought she would upgrade to working with the first female president, instead she found herself working with Donald T

She left, wrote a book about her experiences, and made a million dollars

Plus One!

Hoping to drift this thread to being more positive :wink:
Mind, Mr T just said he plans to stand for a second term :?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

The scenarios where he won't win a second are getting vanishingly small.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Bonefishblues wrote:East and West Coasts hated him even more than Hillary, but the vast majority of the US geography is Trump territory, if one thinks about it like that.
How far inland do the "East-" and "West Coasts" extend? On our trip to the USA (in October 2014, when the mid-term elections were in full swing) we stayed a lot of the time in the Appalachians - which are some distance inland but still tied to the "East Coast", I'd have thought. We saw many election posters, mostly supporting Republican - but this was during Obama's second term. It seemed fairly 'hicksville' territory to us...
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

http://www.270towin.com
Is as good as any
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:The scenarios where he won't win a second are getting vanishingly small.

Do you believe that? :wink: A lot, almost anything, could happen before the next election, like the Falklands war, or in the next few weeks or months, would you put money on him now?
Mr T is over 70 years old, he could get sick at any time, should he not retire after one term?

I like the quote above: Mr T has cut taxes, some people will be paying no taxes at all soon :(