Is Trump Mad?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Is Trump Mad?

yes
65%
no
25%
maybe
6%
maybe not
2%
dont know
2%

Total votes: 143

mercalia

Is Trump Mad?

Post by mercalia »

Given his latest episode re Jerusalem -

"The US president said on Wednesday that he had "determined it is time to officially recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel".

"I've judged this course of action to be in the best interests of the United States of America and the pursuit of peace between Israel and the Palestinians," he said."
Last edited by mercalia on 22 Feb 2018, 5:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

He is about on a level with someone who considers themselves to be a fried egg...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

It seems that Jerusalem was the capital of Judah and not Israel - Israel was the northern kingdom?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I believe Trump knows exactly what he is doing, it fits with his worldview. His views are extreme right wing. I cannot think of another country today where a right wing extremist has been elected? Its an oddity and bad because its happened in the worlds wealthiest country?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

al_yrpal wrote:I believe Trump knows exactly what he is doing, it fits with his worldview. His views are extreme right wing. I cannot think of another country today where a right wing extremist has been elected? Its an oddity and bad because its happened in the worlds wealthiest country?

Al

well that dont exclude him from being mad? Hitler also knew what he was doing?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Generate a reaction from Muslims which will justify yet more intervention thus cementing support among his fascist white-power base and the gratitude (and kick backs) of the arms industry. From where he stands, entirely sane and self-serving.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

mercalia wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:I believe Trump knows exactly what he is doing, it fits with his worldview. His views are extreme right wing. I cannot think of another country today where a right wing extremist has been elected? Its an oddity and bad because its happened in the worlds wealthiest country?

Al

well that dont exclude him from being mad? Hitler also knew what he was doing?

So you would let Hitler off on the grounds of insanity would you? I wouldnt, both knew exactly what they were (are) doing.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I wish Trump was mad.

More likely alternatives:
a) this is a way to make loadsa dosh
b) his friends think it's a good idea
c) all of the above
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"So you would let Hitler off on the grounds of insanity would you? I wouldnt, both knew exactly what they were (are) doing."

Nor I. Plain and simple evil not to be excused by insanity. Hitler, Trump, no difference.
Si

Post by Si »

He's no madder than most, the difference is that he finds himself in a situation where he can express his madness much more widely than the rest of us. There are loads of people who have similar opinions and aims as him, but (apart from at elections) they can only enact their madness on a fairly local scale.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I guess madness is a continuous scale from normal to totally loopy and I've no idea where the "madness" threshold is on that scale.

I think with Trump it's all about him being the centre of attention, of having everybody talking about him, everybody wondering what he's going to do. So things like Israel/Jerusalem for him personally has achieved this in that everybody is once again talking about Trump and he's the centre of attention, world leaders phoning him to talk to him .... I think so much of his "beyond stupid" tweets, outbursts, attacks, etc. are generated because in the past he has learnt that it keeps people talking about him.

Add to that a desire for power over others and greed (personal profit) and for my own simplistic mind that explains so much of what he's doing.

Ian
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

As my Grandfather used to say, " as mad as a dog in a bungalow" :lol:

KTHS
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

No, I don't think he is mad. He's got a slew of personality issues though. He's narcissistic, shallow and impulsive. He's also thick as pig****. Unfortunately he was also born into money and handed a business empire. He's probably somewhat easy to manipulate in the short term but due to a combination of fickleness, getting bored easily and paranoia gets through his advisors quickly which probably doesn't help scattershot approach to policy.
Last edited by Stevek76 on 8 Dec 2017, 12:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

...and yet, Trump still has plenty of support in America. The tour bus driver on my daughter's recent trip tnere was an arch Trump supporter. His speech was almost intelligible, he was bumtious and aggressive and everone was scared of him? What does it say about the USA? That film Idiocracy probably says it all. A future where intelligent folk have small families and get outbred by morons... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy :lol:

During the 2016 presidential primaries, writer Etan Cohen[5] and others expressed opinions that Idiocracy's predictions were converging on accuracy,[6][7][8] which, during the general election, director Mike Judge also said.[9] At the time, Judge also compared Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump—who later won and became President of the United States—to the movie's dim-witted wrestler-turned-president, Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.[9] When asked about predicting the future, he remarked, "I'm no prophet, I was off by 490 years."[10]

Al
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Vorpal wrote:I wish Trump was mad.

More likely alternatives:
a) this is a way to make loadsa dosh
b) his friends think it's a good idea
c) all of the above

My take is that he is:

Entirely without principle and ideology, meaning he is the ultimate pragmatist.
An extreme narcissist.
Dangerously unschooled in international affairs (well, any affairs tbh).
In some way subject to undue influence by Russia.
Not mad.

We should be very very afraid.