Is Trump Mad?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Is Trump Mad?

yes
65%
no
25%
maybe
6%
maybe not
2%
dont know
2%

Total votes: 143

Bonefishblues

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Post by Bonefishblues »

There is a whole swathe of people who believe exactly that IMHO. They believe anything and all he utters because he is speaking the truth against the establishment, and to believe otherwise is to accept that the World's largest democracy has made a cataclysmic mistake, and that's not what happens.

That too is all.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bonefishblues wrote:There is a whole swathe of people who believe exactly that IMHO. They believe anything and all he utters because he is speaking the truth against the establishment, and to believe otherwise is to accept that the World's largest democracy has made a cataclysmic mistake, and that's not what happens.

That too is all.

Though an interesting "unknown" is the impact Russia has on the election and thus to what extent it was "democratic".

Ian
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have some extended family (a second cousin, a cousin's partner, etc.) who support Trump.

One of them is very religious, and she supports him on the basis of two things: he has stated he is opposed to abortion, and Mike Pence

The others all seems to buy into the conspiracy theory stuff; the media is against Trump and all the stuff they publicise (or maybe that should be publicize ;) ) about anything from health care to Russia and guns to economics is just a bunch of *****. Trump is a business man, so he knows how to create jobs and get the US out of debt... If I ask for good things Trump has done, they list a slew of things, but the one that stands out for them is him stopping the TTIP.

Alex Jones and other far right wing media personalities in the US have said the massacre of children in Florida was staged by 'elites' to blame the right wing and get gun reform passed. :twisted:

I can't stomach Infowars to get it from the source, but here is the Daily Dot's report on the Infowars take...
https://www.dailydot.com/layer8/alex-jo ... onspiracy/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:There is a whole swathe of people who believe exactly that IMHO. They believe anything and all he utters because he is speaking the truth against the establishment, and to believe otherwise is to accept that the World's largest democracy has made a cataclysmic mistake, and that's not what happens.

That too is all.

Could you elaborate on that?
I'm willing to believe that during his presidential campaign enough US voters believed in him,but since reaching office of president his approach to the job and the world and particular the nuclear concern with NK has proven him to be an unpredictable loose cannon,not to mntiona complete liar.
His reaction to the school shootings of innoccents in Florida like the Las Vagas shootings,and the Charlotesville affair are beyond belief.
I believe the US has made a cataclysmic mistake and will hopefully rectify the mistake at the next election,but how much undoing ill need to be done b that time?
To me he's the(rotten)fruit of neolibralism.
YVMV though I susect not,but I'd like to hear your views on the subject.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Most of the US media is rabidly anti-Trump. The more he is attacked, the more his core constituency believes that it's a conspiracy against their man. The man who against all odds, belittlement, dirty tricks, media misinformation won because he spoke the truth and "stuck it to the man", that is he defied all the odds and inserted himself in the seat of power.

He's the very embodiment of the American Dream to them, and a product of the American manifestation of the deep distrust of the Political Class and it's inability to represent the working American over many years. We've seen similar recently, haven't we?

That's my take on it, and I think pretty accurately represents the views of one of his core supporters I know particularly well.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Psamathe wrote:

That too is all.

Though an interesting "unknown" is the impact Russia has on the election and thus to what extent it was "democratic".

Ian

We don't know what we don't know, as Mr Rumsfeld said, +1
Seems to me the UK + German media have a certain take on trump but do not reflect what americans think
What else are we not properly informed about?
Elvis for president!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Most of the US media is rabidly anti-Trump. The more he is attacked, the more his core constituency believes that it's a conspiracy against their man. The man who against all odds, belittlement, dirty tricks, media misinformation won because he spoke the truth and "stuck it to the man", that is he defied all the odds and inserted himself in the seat of power.

He's the very embodiment of the American Dream to them, and a product of the American manifestation of the deep distrust of the Political Class and it's inability to represent the working American over many years. We've seen similar recently, haven't we?

That's my take on it, and I think pretty accurately represents the views of one of his core supporters I know particularly well.

The problem for Tump is that he now has to deliver which I'm pretty sure he won't for the average US citizen,though I've no doubt the rich and ultra rich who really know the score are having a beano.
IMO the US electorate is on a four year learning curve,that may just get more ordinary level headed Americans interested in who their next president will be.
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:IMO the US electorate is on a four year learning curve,that may just get more ordinary level headed Americans interested in who their next president will be.
My opinion too. It takes a while and perhaps more than four years.

Thatcher?
Blair?
May?
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:
reohn2 wrote:IMO the US electorate is on a four year learning curve,that may just get more ordinary level headed Americans interested in who their next president will be.

Thatcher?
Blair?
May?

Currently, I'm with you. "It's the economy, stupid" as they say.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Mick F wrote:

Thatcher?
Blair?
May?

We'll see.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Mick F wrote:My opinion too. It takes a while and perhaps more than four years.

Thatcher?
Blair?
May?

We'll see.

Just to add.Clinton got was it one or two million votes more than Trump.
And May is running a minority government backed by the DUP.Her predecessor ran a coalition government with the LibDems
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Without prejudice.. One wonders whether fora in the US have threads titled 'is May [or Merkel] mad?'

I imagine not, many Americans don't know who M&M are

But we know such a lot about US politics (geography, music, films..) :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I imagine not, many Americans don't know who M&M are
I thought they were America's answer to Smarties. Never tried one - are they any good?

But there! Like Manuel, I know nothing about so many topics! :oops:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Without prejudice.. One wonders whether fora in the US have threads titled 'is May [or Merkel] mad?'

I imagine not, many Americans don't know who M&M are

But we know such a lot about US politics (geography, music, films..) :wink:

Thatcher was a household name in the US when I was growing up, and there wasn't any social media, then.

Mad means angry in the USA :lol: but there is certain a pro-European minority who think Britons are crazy to leave the EU.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:But we know such a lot about US politics (geography, music, films..) :wink:

Or do we? We really only see the US through the prism of politics, music, films etc and that is not representative. I have met a small number of Americans through work and if you were really comparing them to what we get through TV your first thought would be - how come they're not better looking? Because in everything from NCIS to Homeland to Star Trek: The Next Generation the protagonists are taller, with better hair, and better teeth, and weighing in at a few pounds less than your average Yank.

I guess British TV may have a similar disposition to casting 'better-looking' people too - but it's not as obvious as American TV - I can't see any American comedy casting the likes of the original line-up in 'Only Fools and Horses'. And look at the difference between 'Gimme Gimme Gimme' and 'Will and Grace' - sitcoms with essentially the same premise.