Is Trump Mad?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Is Trump Mad?

yes
63%
no
26%
maybe
6%
maybe not
3%
dont know
3%

Total votes: 118

Jdsk

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby Jdsk » 14 Nov 2020, 9:29am

Jdsk wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Biden is quiet. He does not need to stir tension.
He knows he has not only the law but also most world leaders on his side. And over half of Americans of course, don't forget them.

Yes. Smart tactics for the present. And he'll probably have to work with Republicans.

Nine court defeats in one day... is this a record?

Jonathan

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 14 Nov 2020, 9:32am

He'll choose his time and place, and it won't be quiet, and it won't be his fault, and it will have been stolen, but he will be doing it for the American people, and he will be back because he's a winner and even though he won this sometimes you have to do the right thing, but he's going, and he knows it, and his electorate knows it.

It's a joy :D

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 14 Nov 2020, 9:36am

PDQ Mobile wrote:
djnotts wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:^^
Pete and DJ.
Your assessments are overly pessimissic IMV.
What will happen is that support will slip away from Trump.
It has already started.

Pivotal figures like Mcconnel (although he is a hypocrite of the first order) will shift their position.
Once this shift of support starts it will gather momentum and Trump will be isolated.
He's finished.

I expect little trouble.

I do hope so! I'm not in a position to judge the likelihood of his choosing to ignore the "result", but it is I think pretty clear that if he decides to remain in office then he has the means so to do.

You mean by staging an armed coup?
Barricading himself the White House?

I think America, for all its faults, has more decent democratic principles and people and they won't allow that.
There are a great many Republicans who support a fair democracy.
They have been waiting for clarity of the results.
That time has now arrived. IMV

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff:

Jonathan

PS: Of course that doesn't rule out informal armed individuals or groups or even whoever they were in Portland.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 14 Nov 2020, 9:40am

It won't get close to this. There may be some manoeuvring regarding some form of Presidential Immunity from prosecution after stepping down, which I suspect is at the heart of this.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 14 Nov 2020, 9:53am

We could have been lucky, apparently PotUSii can go amok*%&$$¥¢©€(@# in a second term because they need not worry about getting re-elected. Could that be a reason for allowing one term only, or allowing more than two?

Might have needed to add more options to the poll if dt had not just missed getting back in :?

Could he be granted asylum in Barnard Castle?
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 14 Nov 2020, 10:02am

There are good arguments for term limits in any system.

But it's more commonly thought that second-term presidents are able to try and achieve long term goals as they aren't so tied to the immediate need to win re-election and the minute attention span of so much of the media. They certainly tend to pay more attention to foreign affairs.

But the wider questions of limitations on power are going to get a lot of attention as the nightmare recedes.

Jonathan

PS: The two term rule was only a tradition until 1951 and the Twenty-second Amendment. And of course FDR served four.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 14 Nov 2020, 10:15am

If I understood Alistair Cooke correctly, and if my memory is working correctly, at a Democrat convention when he was not expected to stand again (I can't remember if that was for his 3rd or 4th term) one of his supporters was in the basement and began shouting "four more years" into the ventilation system. This triggered a chant in the main hall so he was selected again by acclamation and these events led to the Twenty Second Amendment.

Subsequently "four more years" became a slogan for others seeking a second term

Pebble

Postby Pebble » 14 Nov 2020, 10:18am

The result must have come as a terrible fright to him for his hair to have all of a sudden turned so white.

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 14 Nov 2020, 10:29am

Pebble wrote:The result must have come as a terrible fright to him for his hair to have all of a sudden turned so white.

Yes, the thought of Farage demanding retribution for his £10,000 wager loss. :roll:

Not to mention Giuliani and the NY mafia lads. 8) :shock:

After calling so many people "loser" as an aside tossed in, it does seem rather apt though.
Toasted.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 14 Nov 2020, 10:53am

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Pebble wrote:The result must have come as a terrible fright to him for his hair to have all of a sudden turned so white.

Yes, the thought of Farage demanding retribution for his £10,000 wager loss. :roll:

Not to mention Giuliani and the NY mafia lads. 8) :shock:

After calling so many people "loser" as an aside tossed in, it does seem rather apt though.
Toasted.

Just type http://www.loser.cominto Google and see where it takes you
John

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 14 Nov 2020, 11:02am

^^beyond my digital capability- google no longer available to my old device.
Now why's that?

But also would be scared where it might lead. :shock:

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 14 Nov 2020, 11:22am

If you were being mean you could suggest that he's seen success comes from age and grey hair so he thought he'd give it a go.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 14 Nov 2020, 12:45pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:^^beyond my digital capability- google no longer available to my old device.
Now why's that?

But also would be scared where it might lead. :shock:

Someone clever has changed the title to Trump's wiki entry to "Loser". All the link does is take you to Trump's wiki page.
John

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 14 Nov 2020, 2:03pm

Does this ring any UK bells?
https://youtu.be/sTBe5ztau-E
-----------------------------------------------------------

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 14 Nov 2020, 2:54pm

reohn2 wrote:Does this ring any UK bells?
https://youtu.be/sTBe5ztau-E

Absolutely bang on. Whoever you vote for, in any country, capitalism wins. Johnson/Starmer, Trump/Biden, no change. That's why Corbyn had to be destroyed.