Is Trump Mad?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Is Trump Mad?

yes
74
63%
no
31
26%
maybe
7
6%
maybe not
3
3%
dont know
3
3%
 
Total votes: 118

User avatar
kylecycler
Posts: 747
Joined: 12 Aug 2013, 4:09pm
Location: Kyle, Ayrshire

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby kylecycler » 14 Nov 2020, 3:20pm

reohn2 wrote:Does this ring any UK bells?
https://youtu.be/sTBe5ztau-E

That's a brilliant video, thanks for posting. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris and the Democratic Party are the heroes until they've defeated Trump; after that they aren't really.

Fact it, though, it's hard to see how Bernie Sanders - or Elizabeth Warren, who I hoped would be President - would be likely to have been elected, realistically, so we'd have been stuck with Trump for another four years and it could have been curtains for the US and the rest of us.

Warren's a Democrat, of course, but so are 'The Crew' - AOC, Tlaib and Omar - and the rest of the progressives in the party. Change, if it happens, will come from within.

Mistik-ka
Posts: 451
Joined: 5 Feb 2012, 10:01pm
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby Mistik-ka » 14 Nov 2020, 3:54pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:Imagine what Justin Trudeau would do if Trump tried to take (or retain) the White House by force?
He would close the border and end all trade. IMHO


Due to Covid-19 restrictions border crossings into Canada are already stopped for anything except commercial shipments, but as for ending all trade … we are inextricably entwined with —some would say subjugated to— the economy of our gigantic neighbour to the south. The Americans have a tendency, accelerated by the unpredictability of the Trump administration, to honour their trade agreements more in the breach than the observance. When Canada objects to some new U.S. tariff that breaks a trade agreement the Americans shrug and say, "So sue us." This we do, generally with success in a judgement by the World Trade Organization after months or even years of legal argument. A few months after that the tariff will be reimposed and again kept in place until the WTO declares it illegal. (Does this sound familiar?)

If you are contemplating trade agreements with the U.S. I urge you to contemplate this comment by Justin's father Pierre to the Washington Press Club:
Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt.


Or, to quote a contemporary political observer renowned for sagacity: "Gang warily."

reohn2
Posts: 40169
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby reohn2 » 14 Nov 2020, 4:06pm

djnotts wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Does this ring any UK bells?
https://youtu.be/sTBe5ztau-E


Absolutely bang on. Whoever you vote for, in any country, capitalism wins. Johnson/Starmer, Trump/Biden, no change. That's why Corbyn had to be destroyed.

My thoughts exactly,democracy has been bought formtheir own ends by people with huge amounts on money at their disposal.
Of course the rightwing leaning element will denign it but it's the truth.
-----------------------------------------------------------

reohn2
Posts: 40169
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby reohn2 » 14 Nov 2020, 4:10pm

kylecycler wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Does this ring any UK bells?
https://youtu.be/sTBe5ztau-E

That's a brilliant video, thanks for posting. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris and the Democratic Party are the heroes until they've defeated Trump; after that they aren't really.

Fact it, though, it's hard to see how Bernie Sanders - or Elizabeth Warren, who I hoped would be President - would be likely to have been elected, realistically, so we'd have been stuck with Trump for another four years and it could have been curtains for the US and the rest of us.

Warren's a Democrat, of course, but so are 'The Crew' - AOC, Tlaib and Omar - and the rest of the progressives in the party. Change, if it happens, will come from within.

The Crew and Bernie Sanders have as always an uphill struggle,but whenever I see or hear them skeak I'm inspired,no mealy mouth apologies or ducking issues where they stand! :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------

Jdsk
Posts: 3919
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby Jdsk » 14 Nov 2020, 4:14pm

Crowd gathering in DC...

Jonathan

reohn2
Posts: 40169
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby reohn2 » 14 Nov 2020, 4:16pm

Mistik-ka wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Imagine what Justin Trudeau would do if Trump tried to take (or retain) the White House by force?
He would close the border and end all trade. IMHO


Due to Covid-19 restrictions border crossings into Canada are already stopped for anything except commercial shipments, but as for ending all trade … we are inextricably entwined with —some would say subjugated to— the economy of our gigantic neighbour to the south. The Americans have a tendency, accelerated by the unpredictability of the Trump administration, to honour their trade agreements more in the breach than the observance. When Canada objects to some new U.S. tariff that breaks a trade agreement the Americans shrug and say, "So sue us." This we do, generally with success in a judgement by the World Trade Organization after months or even years of legal argument. A few months after that the tariff will be reimposed and again kept in place until the WTO declares it illegal. (Does this sound familiar?)

If you are contemplating trade agreements with the U.S. I urge you to contemplate this comment by Justin's father Pierre to the Washington Press Club:
Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt.


Or, to quote a contemporary political observer renowned for sagacity: "Gang warily."


Frankly I wouldn't trust the US in the same way I wouldn't trust China.
Soon the UK will be alone in a cold deep sea full of sharks!
-----------------------------------------------------------

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3860
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby PDQ Mobile » 14 Nov 2020, 5:18pm

Mistik-ka wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Imagine what Justin Trudeau would do if Trump tried to take (or retain) the White House by force?
He would close the border and end all trade. IMHO


Due to Covid-19 restrictions border crossings into Canada are already stopped for anything except commercial shipments, but as for ending all trade … we are inextricably entwined with —some would say subjugated to— the economy of our gigantic neighbour to the south. The Americans have a tendency, accelerated by the unpredictability of the Trump administration, to honour their trade agreements more in the breach than the observance. When Canada objects to some new U.S. tariff that breaks a trade agreement the Americans shrug and say, "So sue us." This we do, generally with success in a judgement by the World Trade Organization after months or even years of legal argument. A few months after that the tariff will be reimposed and again kept in place until the WTO declares it illegal. (Does this sound familiar?)

If you are contemplating trade agreements with the U.S. I urge you to contemplate this comment by Justin's father Pierre to the Washington Press Club:
Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt.


Or, to quote a contemporary political observer renowned for sagacity: "Gang warily."

It's interesting to hear from you on "the inside".

My supposition about what Canada would do in the event of an American President seizing power by force was speculation from far away of course.

In some ways though you only portray what happens in "normal times".
Not the scenario I was thinking ( briefly) about.

I have to say that the USA doesn't sound like the most enjoyable or trustworthy of trading partners though!

What do YOU think Trudeau would do in the unthinkable event of an unelected power coup in the USA?

Come to think of it, are there not big oil pipelines that run across your territory? :shock:

Mistik-ka
Posts: 451
Joined: 5 Feb 2012, 10:01pm
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby Mistik-ka » 14 Nov 2020, 11:22pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:It's interesting to hear from you on "the inside".

Not inside, but next door (which is quite close enough).

What do YOU think Trudeau would do in the unthinkable event of an unelected power coup in the USA?

My best guess is that our current government would try to follow the 'rule of law' as they have done in other international disruptions. This would mean following guidelines laid down by the United Nations (from which the U.S.A. would almost certainly withdraw if they weren't given what they wanted). We would probably accept American political refugees as we did during the Vietnam War and from other nations in the throes of civil unrest since that time. In the event of an invasion by an American government of some sort …………………… resistance would hardly be possible. Try to wait it out while they fight among themselves, I suppose, and then seek support from the international community once the American nation crumbles beyond repair.

Come to think of it, are there not big oil pipelines that run across your territory? :shock:

You've hit a point of great contention among Canadians: not just the employment from building big new pipelines, but the sale of Canadian oil to flow through them. Environmentalists stand in opposition to workers who fear for their jobs and investors who stand to make (or lose) obscene amounts of money in the oil industry.

This is where the American election immediately affects the Canadian economy. Trump was aggressively pro-pipeline; Biden has said he would stop the building of the major new Keystone XL cross-border pipeline that's been in the planning stages for years, and upon which construction has already begun. Barack Obama refused to approve it; Trump immediately reversed that decision.

These are 'interesting times'.

Psamathe
Posts: 11581
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby Psamathe » 15 Nov 2020, 2:35pm

Is Trump now accepting defeat?
Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 14.31.59.png

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1327956491056279552

Is he gradually realising that he'd need to overturn so many state results and his legal cases being thrown out ...?

Pretty "sad" demonstration of "ego". He's apparently turned of Fox for not following his line but rather they recognise that the electorate has chosen so Trump has abandoned then (not they seem (one of) the target of his Twitter rage).

Ian

kwackers
Posts: 15046
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby kwackers » 16 Nov 2020, 4:29pm

I reckon if I had a particularly good dump he'd take credit for it.

125885763_3624085400986513_6177889321889289997_o.jpg

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8460
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby Bonefishblues » 16 Nov 2020, 4:51pm

Psamathe wrote:Is Trump now accepting defeat?
Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 14.31.59.png
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1327956491056279552

Is he gradually realising that he'd need to overturn so many state results and his legal cases being thrown out ...?

Pretty "sad" demonstration of "ego". He's apparently turned off Fox for not following his line but rather they recognise that the electorate has chosen so Trump has abandoned then (not they seem (one of) the target of his Twitter rage).

Ian

What's so depressing is that people are so accepting of it.

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3860
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby PDQ Mobile » 16 Nov 2020, 5:01pm

kwackers wrote:I reckon if I had a particularly good dump he'd take credit for it.

125885763_3624085400986513_6177889321889289997_o.jpg


It is so very sad.
Such a mission how long in the planning?

Very glad he's out of the White House.
Another 4 years of that tripe would be very bad all round.

Come on Trumpians wake up, he's a conman.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8460
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby Bonefishblues » 16 Nov 2020, 5:17pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:
kwackers wrote:I reckon if I had a particularly good dump he'd take credit for it.

125885763_3624085400986513_6177889321889289997_o.jpg


It is so very sad.
Such a mission how long in the planning?

Very glad he's out of the White House.
Another 4 years of that tripe would be very bad all round.

Come on Trumpians wake up, he's a conman.

They know that. They don't care.

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3860
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby PDQ Mobile » 16 Nov 2020, 5:20pm

^^
They do now! :wink:

pete75
Posts: 13432
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby pete75 » 18 Nov 2020, 4:11pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Is Trump now accepting defeat?
Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 14.31.59.png
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1327956491056279552

Is he gradually realising that he'd need to overturn so many state results and his legal cases being thrown out ...?

Pretty "sad" demonstration of "ego". He's apparently turned off Fox for not following his line but rather they recognise that the electorate has chosen so Trump has abandoned then (not they seem (one of) the target of his Twitter rage).

Ian

What's so depressing is that people are so accepting of it.


Yep. Where is Lee Harvey Oswald when he's needed?