Is Trump Mad?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Is Trump Mad?

yes
43
53%
no
28
35%
maybe
6
7%
maybe not
3
4%
dont know
1
1%
 
Total votes: 81

reohn2
Posts: 35939
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby reohn2 » 10 Dec 2017, 12:18pm

djnotts wrote:"What kind of convention is that?"

The Republican (Convention) kind I think!

:wink:
It certainly isnt the convention commonly known as democracy,that's for sure.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9129
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby 661-Pete » 10 Dec 2017, 1:27pm

djnotts wrote:"What kind of convention is that?"

The Republican (Convention) kind I think!
I only wish it were the Forcing NoTrump Convention..... :twisted:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17206
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby Vorpal » 12 Dec 2017, 3:19pm

reohn2 wrote:But if we really want to explore oddness what can be more odd than a man being invested president of the USA when he didn't have the majority of the votes of the people who cast them.What kind of convention is that?

And how many people voted for the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom? :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

reohn2
Posts: 35939
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby reohn2 » 12 Dec 2017, 3:55pm

Vorpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:But if we really want to explore oddness what can be more odd than a man being invested president of the USA when he didn't have the majority of the votes of the people who cast them.What kind of convention is that?

And how many people voted for the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom? :wink:

Not enough for the system to be called democracy,that's for sure :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9129
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby 661-Pete » 13 Dec 2017, 9:09am

Well well! You-know-who mad or not mad .... I woke up to learn the latest news from Alabama and find it mightily heartening, I can tell you! Commonsense and basic dignity have at last prevailed over prejudice, bigotry and populism - to say nothing of alleged sexual misconduct. Maybe 'democracy' is working after all!

One thing I noticed while watching the news, last night. At a rally in support of that Moore person, I could not spot a single black face. Yet Black Americans can vote as much as White Americans can. 62 years after Rosa Parks boarded that bus, I feel that if she were still alive she would be proud of this day.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6792
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby Bonefishblues » 15 Dec 2017, 9:03pm

I understand that this would be termed a doozie in the American vernacular:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 6.html?amp

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17206
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby Vorpal » 15 Dec 2017, 10:47pm

661-Pete wrote:Well well! You-know-who mad or not mad .... I woke up to learn the latest news from Alabama and find it mightily heartening, I can tell you! Commonsense and basic dignity have at last prevailed over prejudice, bigotry and populism - to say nothing of alleged sexual misconduct. Maybe 'democracy' is working after all!

One thing I noticed while watching the news, last night. At a rally in support of that Moore person, I could not spot a single black face. Yet Black Americans can vote as much as White Americans can. 62 years after Rosa Parks boarded that bus, I feel that if she were still alive she would be proud of this day.

Actually, the black vote made a huge difference in this election despite the fact that blacks reported obstacles to voting http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... -election/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

reohn2
Posts: 35939
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby reohn2 » 15 Dec 2017, 11:35pm

Bonefishblues wrote:I understand that this would be termed a doozie in the American vernacular:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 6.html?amp

If he were a joiner he'd be termed as someone who'd "not yet learned to knock a nail in straight"
As a miner,someone who "didn't have a blue mark on him"
It doesn't get much worse,yes men abound...........
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 35939
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby reohn2 » 15 Dec 2017, 11:37pm

Vorpal wrote:Actually, the black vote made a huge difference in this election despite the fact that blacks reported obstacles to voting http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... -election/

Why am I not surprised? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

old_windbag
Posts: 1869
Joined: 19 Feb 2015, 3:55pm

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby old_windbag » 16 Dec 2017, 12:11am

He's mad! He's mad. He's madder than Mad Jack McMad, the winner of this year's Mr Madman competition. :wink:

A classic line!

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9510
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby Cunobelin » 16 Dec 2017, 10:28am

A colleague of mine summed this up nicely.... Trump is in debt

To get where he is he made a lot of promises to a lot of people.

IN order to get the support of those groups, some of the promises were bizarre, extreme and under normal circumstances unthinkable

However he now has to fulfil at least some to bolster that support

The recognition of Jerusalem is the promise made to the powerful Israeli/ Jewish lobby in the states

In the same way the travel ban is a reward for the more racist element

What should bd worrying is that as he progresses through the term, these will become more and more bizarre and extreme as the markers are called in

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6792
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby Bonefishblues » 16 Dec 2017, 10:39am

Cunobelin wrote:A colleague of mine summed this up nicely.... Trump is in debt

To get where he is he made a lot of promises to a lot of people.

IN order to get the support of those groups, some of the promises were bizarre, extreme and under normal circumstances unthinkable

However he now has to fulfil at least some to bolster that support

The recognition of Jerusalem is the promise made to the powerful Israeli/ Jewish lobby in the states

In the same way the travel ban is a reward for the more racist element

What should bd worrying is that as he progresses through the term, these will become more and more bizarre and extreme as the markers are called in

He's got to win again using only his base support. His base support is still with him, and bought the rhetoric (although it's claimed not the detail of the promises) last time. There's a real fear that it will happen again. Please run Michelle...

brynpoeth
Posts: 11034
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby brynpoeth » 16 Dec 2017, 11:03am

Who is Michelle?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6792
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby Bonefishblues » 16 Dec 2017, 11:45am

brynpoeth wrote:Who is Michelle?

The most popular Democrat and avowed non-politician in America. Also known as Mrs Obama.

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9129
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby 661-Pete » 30 Jan 2018, 8:49pm

I note that you-know-who is just about to deliver his first (anyone's first) State of the Uniom (sic). :lol:

No doubt he will be setting down how much Federal budget is to be allocated to covfefe.....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).