Is Trump Mad?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Is Trump Mad?

yes
54%
no
34%
maybe
7%
maybe not
4%
dont know
1%

Total votes: 82

djnotts

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Postby djnotts » 7 Oct 2019, 9:07pm

Maybe is finally descending into certifiable delusion and egotism, rather than just nasty.

"As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!). They must, with Europe and others, watch over..." My emphasis!

Stradageek

Postby Stradageek » 8 Oct 2019, 8:40am

+1, this isn't hubris, this is lunacy

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 8 Oct 2019, 9:05am

How long before the men and women on white coats wheel h off the world stage?

He appears to be rapidly falling into total delusion. What next? Will he think he is the returned Jesus Christ? Even his supporters are getting alarmed by his foreign policy. I imagine, though, that even if he were to declare himself the son of God reincarnated some would swallow it.
John

Cycling and recycling

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 8 Oct 2019, 9:49am

Oldjohnw wrote:How long before the men and women on white coats wheel h off the world stage?

He appears to be rapidly falling into total delusion. What next? Will he think he is the returned Jesus Christ? Even his supporters are getting alarmed by his foreign policy. I imagine, though, that even if he were to declare himself the son of God reincarnated some would swallow it.

I firmly believe his hardcore followers would believe anything uttered from this idiots lips,and the sme lunacy applies to the followers of the BoJo idiot on this side of the pond too!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Stradageek

Postby Stradageek » 9 Oct 2019, 9:39am

Ok, he's mad, certainly, but there is a glimmer of light. He appears to be pathologically averse to war or overseas armed conflict of any type - which is excellent.

But can anyone explain why this is so given his extreme aggression and truculence under almost all other circumstances?

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 9 Oct 2019, 10:06am

Stradageek wrote:Ok, he's mad, certainly, but there is a glimmer of light. He appears to be pathologically averse to war or overseas armed conflict of any type - which is excellent.

But can anyone explain why this is so given his extreme aggression and truculence under almost all other circumstances?

Easy. He's a bully.
Bullies pick fights they think they can win and won't get hurt in.

Pastychomper

Postby Pastychomper » 9 Oct 2019, 10:21am

Before he was elected I had the impression that Trump was one who'd say whatever was in his head at the time, which is a rare trait in politics and vastly preferable to the more common trait of saying whatever one thinks one's audience wants to hear.

An aversion to armed conflict is another desirable trait, bringing his tally of known desirable traits into double digits (for those who count in binary) and possibly making him notable among politicians.

As for the apparent contradiction, I can only guess. Perhaps his vast stores of barely-controlled anger encourage him to shoot his mouth off in the moment, and the latent dislike of destruction trickles into his consciousness later, hopefully before pushing the Big Red Button? If it's based on his own instinct for self-preservation then it would agree with kwackers' more succinct (and faster-typed) hypothesis.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 9 Oct 2019, 10:22am

Stradageek wrote:.....but there is a glimmer of light. He appears to be pathologically averse to war or overseas armed conflict of any type - which is excellent.

I'm unsure about this given the arms treaties he pulled out of, that his actions have/are kicking Iran to restart its nuclear ambitions. A lot of what he seems to do is for no better reason than it was Obama that started it so he wants to close it down so establishing why he does anything might go beyond the obvious interpretations (e.g. does he need something to Tweet about or is it just he wants to demonstrate "he's in charge"). I don't think there is much thought going into anything; maybe he sees something on Fox TV and "oh I could ....." and 30 seconds later Tweets out some radical ill-considered new policy decision.

Ian

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 9 Oct 2019, 11:50am

Probably not anything proving anything and to read the full paper beyond the abstract you have to pay (probably not worth it as you'll already have subscriptions if it's something you'd find relevant but
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/bjso.12311 wrote:Belief in conspiracy theories and intentions to engage in everyday crime
Belief in conspiracy theories is associated with negative outcomes such as political disengagement, prejudice, and environmental inaction. .....

Ian

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 9 Oct 2019, 9:14pm

His sanity is about as solid as his sense of honour......"US Senator Lindsay Graham, a close ally of Mr Trump, said he would lead an effort in Congress to "make Erdogan pay a heavy price", adding: "Pray for our Kurdish allies who have been shamelessly abandoned by the Trump Administration."

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 10 Oct 2019, 11:08am

It gets better every day. This from the T creature:
Kurds 'didn't help us with Normandy'

Oh I see. Very remiss of those dastardly Kurds, not lifting a finger to help out despite the Normandy beaches being virtually on their doorstep....

Of course it's possible that his geography isn't top-notch? Perhaps he collaborated with the Bard in writing The Winter's Tale, in which one of the scene-settings is described as "Bohemia, a desert country near the sea".

With any luck, Mr T will "exit, pursued by a bear" any time soon!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 10 Oct 2019, 11:23am

Trump stated this with regard to the fatal motorcycle accident:-
"The woman was driving on the wrong side of the road, and that can happen.
"You know, those are the opposite roads, that happens. I won't say it ever happened to me, but it did."

He loses me. Perhaps I am just old. :?

Did it "happen" to him or not?

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 10 Oct 2019, 11:35am

Well! - if the bear doesn't get him, I hope Mr T does get caught driving on the 'wrong' side of the road.

Preferably with a 44-tonne artic bearing down upon him at 60mph....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 10 Oct 2019, 4:59pm

661-Pete wrote:It gets better every day. This from the T creature:
Kurds 'didn't help us with Normandy'

Oh I see. Very remiss of those dastardly Kurds, not lifting a finger to help out despite the Normandy beaches being virtually on their doorstep....

At least he's addressed concerns about the risk of ISIS fighters held by the Kurds escaping
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-isis-syria-turkey-europe-kurdish-allies-a9149796.html wrote:Donald Trump has suggested he is not concerned some Isis fighters could escape in the chaos of a Turkish attack on Syria because “they’re going to be escaping to Europe”.

(And we in the UK desperately believe he's going to help us when it comes to a generous trade deal?)

Ian

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 10 Oct 2019, 8:08pm

I think the tide's flowing against him. He's going to be utterly humiliated, sooner than we think.