Is Trump Mad?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Is Trump Mad?

yes
65%
no
25%
maybe
6%
maybe not
2%
dont know
2%

Total votes: 143

mercalia

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Post by mercalia »

well Trump would have repealed that stupid law, made by Blaire wasnt it? that is costing our country a great deal, that gives £12bn of our much needed money to other countries, when we need it at home?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:well Trump would have repealed that stupid law, made by Blaire wasnt it? that is costing our country a great deal, that gives £12bn of our much needed money to other countries, when we need it at home?

A simplistic view of overseas aid.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:A simplistic view of overseas aid.

Simplistic? Isn't that atypical of the sort of right wing politics pushed by the likes of the DM?
Anyway £12bn - peanuts. We printed £500bn when we needed it, should have added another 12 on top. I doubt anyone would have noticed.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kwackers wrote:
reohn2 wrote:A simplistic view of overseas aid.

Simplistic? Isn't that atypical of the sort of right wing politics pushed by the likes of the DM?
Anyway £12bn - peanuts. We printed £500bn when we needed it, should have added another 12 on top. I doubt anyone would have noticed.

well wasnt that the amount cut off from the welfare budget that has affected many badly?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:well wasnt that the amount cut off from the welfare budget that has affected many badly?

I'd go further back and ask why we can no longer afford such things.

But foreign aid has benefits, what is the financial cost of losing those benefits? Why can't we simply print a bit more cash? Why not increase taxes? How much money are we currently losing due to the travesty that is brexit?

Cuts to welfare budgets exist not because they're actually needed but because it suits the right wing middle class "anti-scroungers" manifesto.
A pound paid into welfare budgets rattles around the local economy whereas £500bn in new money disappears without a trace.

This problem pervades the whole economy. How much does not fixing roads cost? How much does handing control of chunks of the NHS out to private contractors cost? What is the real cost of homelessness? Foodbanks?

A couple of friends of mine work for the land registry. They do overtime every weekend at an enormous cost.
Why? Because when the government decided to sell the LR they 'slimmed' it down (at no small cost) to make it attractive to potential buyers. But then the sale never happened and the LR no longer has enough staff so they pay overtime and hire contractors (often the folk who they made redundant).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Time for an update: can anyone come up with a stronger word than 'lunacy' or 'imbecility' to account for the T's latest Great Idea?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43149694 - and many other sources.
So he wants to turn every classroom into a replica of the OK Corral?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I thought it was even more telling that he has so little emotional intelligence that he had to have a written 5-point plan to deal with a situation which required simple common humanity and decency.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I'm pretty sure you can't compel a teacher to have a gun and I'm also pretty sure any sensible teacher won't have one.
Teachers as a rule tend to fairly liberal; I wonder how many are NRA members?

So I like the idea of encouraging more guns to control the guns already there.

Think about it; NRA members carry guns. They hear shots and then in true superhero fashion spring into action, guns blazing at anyone else carrying a gun.
End result: No more NRA members.

America and gun control is a great example of confirmation bias in action. Every shooting just makes those with guns believe that more guns is the solution - because if they'd been there they'd have instantly taken out the gunman with the precision of a well oiled machine.
(I'm assuming here that gunmen look different to civilians with guns - perhaps they could wear a hi-vis vest with 'gunman' writ across it.)
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

kwackers wrote:America and gun control is a great example of confirmation bias in action. Every shooting just makes those with guns believe that more guns is the solution - because if they'd been there they'd have instantly taken out the gunman with the precision of a well oiled machine.
(I'm assuming here that gunmen look different to civilians with guns - perhaps they could wear a hi-vis vest with 'gunman' writ across it.)

Apparently at the shooting of Gabrielle Giffords (and about 20 other people, some of whom died) in 2011 two people entirely unconnected with the perpetrator drew legitimately held small arms and assuming the other was connected with the incident nearly took each other out. Says a lot for the idea of having a lot of armed civilians 'doing their bit'.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so his reaction to the latest school massacre is to arm teachers. I magine in order to get your PGCE or equivalent you would need to have gun training then :roll: Arm teachers then the studants will come packing then every studant would need to go thru a x ray machine at the school entrance, what a world the USA is becoming? far from the lofty ideals of the founding fathers?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Ben@Forest wrote:Apparently at the shooting of Gabrielle Giffords (and about 20 other people, some of whom died) in 2011 two people entirely unconnected with the perpetrator drew legitimately held small arms and assuming the other was connected with the incident nearly took each other out. Says a lot for the idea of having a lot of armed civilians 'doing their bit'.

And he'd have to explain how a gunman at a military base (Fort Hood) managed to kill 13 and injure more than 30 others.
If highly trained, well armed soldiers can't cut it how are a handful of teachers going to manage?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:I thought it was even more telling that he has so little emotional intelligence that he had to have a written 5-point plan to deal with a situation which required simple common humanity and decency.

Has he been watching too many westerns? I was just wondering about creating a new poll: who is the greatest American (living or dead)?
Don't worry, I dismissed the idea quickly :D
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:Time for an update: can anyone come up with a stronger word than 'lunacy' or 'imbecility' to account for the T's latest Great Idea?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43149694 - and many other sources.
So he wants to turn every classroom into a replica of the OK Corral?

I voted "don't know", may I change my vote now?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ben@Forest wrote:Apparently at the shooting of Gabrielle Giffords (and about 20 other people, some of whom died) in 2011 two people entirely unconnected with the perpetrator drew legitimately held small arms and assuming the other was connected with the incident nearly took each other out. Says a lot for the idea of having a lot of armed civilians 'doing their bit'.

The words nut and shell are words that spring to mind.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One could hardly make it up
Armed police have lots of training, they are psychologically checked at intervals (many applicants are rejected as unsuitable), the lucky ones never have to use their guns
Were I an armed teacher I would be terrified of killing the wrong person and being charged with murder

... what is the punishment for that?

We know plenty about the US but I have never been there so I don't KNOW much maybe Vorpal will be along soon to tell us The Truth :?