Revelation

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
KTHSullivan

Revelation

Post by KTHSullivan »

The other afternoon I was looking for a paperclip to release the "jammed" CD drive on my seriously old laptop, as ever no joy. However turning quite a few cupboards out in a vain attempt to locate a thin piece of wire I found a significant number of wire coat hangers; obviously, I don't know why I hadn't realised years ago, paperclips are obviously the larval form of wire coat hangers. :!:
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Mistik-ka

Re: Revelation

Post by Mistik-ka »

KTHSullivan wrote:paperclips are obviously the larval form of wire coat hangers. :!:
which in turn migrate into roadside skips where they metamorphose into rusting bicycles. 8)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

IMO the OP is wrong in his assumption.
Wire coathangers are born fully formed and their coating(sp?)and copulation habits have never been witnessed as it's performed in total darkness,the result is apparent to anyone who was to carelessly leave two coathangers in a wardrobe for any length of time,will find they've multiplied.
Indeed if paperclips were the larvae of wire coathangers surely on opening a wardrobe door with more than one wire coathanger within,one would surely find paperclips at some point in the lifecycle.
Logical when you think about it really :roll:

Note;I know nothing about the breeding habits of the paperclip in it's various sizes and forms,and haven't witnessed any breeding within the R2 household,perhaps someone within the forum community may have some knowledge of the breeding habits of the humble paperclip.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Mistik-ka wrote:
KTHSullivan wrote:paperclips are obviously the larval form of wire coat hangers. :!:
which in turn migrate into roadside skips where they metamorphose into rusting bicycles. 8)

Is that before or after they become car aerials ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mistik-ka wrote:

Whaddabout tyre(tire)wires by the roadside?
Rumoured to come from the insides of truck tyres(tires) but who knows,has anyone witnessed them actually extruding from a truck tyre(tire)? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

reohn2 wrote:IMO the OP is wrong in his assumption.
Wire coathangers are born fully formed and their coating(sp?)and copulation habits have never been witnessed as it's performed in total darkness,the result is apparent to anyone who was to carelessly leave two coathangers in a wardrobe for any length of time,will find they've multiplied.
Indeed if paperclips were the larvae of wire coathangers surely on opening a wardrobe door with more than one wire coathanger within,one would surely find paperclips at some point in the lifecycle.
Logical when you think about it really :roll:

Note;I know nothing about the breeding habits of the paperclip in it's various sizes and forms,and haven't witnessed any breeding within the R2 household,perhaps someone within the forum community may have some knowledge of the breeding habits of the humble paperclip.

Actually I think the OP's suggestion is reasonable.

Since coathangers breed in complete darkness, it's hard to know how long it takes, or what the process involves. Most cupboards and wardrobes contain little metal aside from screws, hinges and pre-existing hangers, so it stands to reason that the larval stage would need to be more mobile than the adults.

Presumably they first hatch as small paperclips with an instinct to seek a suitable nursery site, such as a desk tidy or drawer. Then they prey on slower-moving items like ballpoint pens, using the hydrocarbons for energy and the steel for growth. During this time they put on weight, growing steadily and occasionally metamorphosing into larger types of clip. Eventually they'll seek out a quiet, remote place - such as behind a drawer on under a desk - for the slower transformation into an adult coathanger, after which they emerge and migrate to a suitable wardrobe or cupboard.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot