Why is Russia so corrupt?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Why is Russia so corrupt?

Post by Psamathe »

I think this article sums things up nicely
https://rochdaleherald.co.uk/2018/03/19/russian-presidential-candidates-have-families-safely-returned-in-wake-of-putins-re-election/ wrote:Russian presidential candidates have families safely returned in wake of Putin’s re-election
The families of all seven Russian Presidential candidates have been returned safely after the totally unexpected landslide victory for Vladimir Putin.

Today Vladimir Putin has succeeded in his third run for the presidency with 110% share of the vote.

In the run up to the Russian presidential elections, the seven other candidates were hand picked by Putin for there political unremarkability and their concern for the personal safety welfare of their families.

Ian
horizon

Post by horizon »

I haven't read though the whole thread (interesting though it is :) ), but a recent programme about Magna Carta summed it up well. It takes years (centuries?) of hard work to build up civil society. We had a constitutional monarchy when Germany still had an autocratic Kaiser and Russia had serfs. Had Russia reformed itself around 1900 it may have avoided the extremism of revolution and its counter-turmoil into capitalism. That's why i think we need to be patient and supportive of Russian democracy rather than driving ever more Russians into the arms of the current ruling elite.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

horizon wrote:I haven't read though the whole thread (interesting though it is :) ), but a recent programme about Magna Carta summed it up well. It takes years (centuries?) of hard work to build up civil society. We had a constitutional monarchy when Germany still had an autocratic Kaiser and Russia had serfs. Had Russia reformed itself around 1900 it may have avoided the extremism of revolution and its counter-turmoil into capitalism. That's why i think we need to be patient and supportive of Russian democracy rather than driving ever more Russians into the arms of the current ruling elite.

Should be patient and supportive of US American democracy, too? Italian? Spanish?

At what point should someone give them a good kick in the not-so-democratic backside and tell them to straighten themselves out? :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Vorpal wrote:
horizon wrote:I haven't read though the whole thread (interesting though it is :) ), but a recent programme about Magna Carta summed it up well. It takes years (centuries?) of hard work to build up civil society. We had a constitutional monarchy when Germany still had an autocratic Kaiser and Russia had serfs. Had Russia reformed itself around 1900 it may have avoided the extremism of revolution and its counter-turmoil into capitalism. That's why i think we need to be patient and supportive of Russian democracy rather than driving ever more Russians into the arms of the current ruling elite.

Should be patient and supportive of US American democracy, too? Italian? Spanish?

At what point should someone give them a good kick in the not-so-democratic backside and tell them to straighten themselves out? :wink:

Well not fair to compare Russia with the USA. The USA dont deserve any sympathy, they had all the advantages of a fresh start, massive natural resources to share around and inspired founding fathers, only for their advantages to be subverted and squandered by the greedy. A country that should be a beacon for democracy and humanity is any thing but? ( "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America." )
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Today Vladimir Putin has succeeded in his third run for the presidency with 110% share of the vote.

How can you have 110% share of the vote?
100% means that everyone who voted, voted for Putin.

I heard on the news that he got 70odd% of a 67% turnout.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:

Crimea also voted for him - part of the Ukraine :lol:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:

Look more closely at the linked article.

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

horizon wrote: ... a recent programme about Magna Carta summed it up well. ...

I didn't see the programme so I can't comment, but a lot of tosh is spouted about Magna Carta to convince us that our system is inherently better than all the others. I think the best thing you can say about Magana Carta is that quite a long time after it was created, the learned friends latched onto a couple of clauses to give some authority to the system they preferred (not least because it paid well.) Perhaps you missed the bit of the thread where I mentioned that a lot of what goes on in this country wouldn't necessarily stand analysis, which is one of the reason we get some bad results in the ECHR, in spite of some recent changes to improve things. (None of this is to defend corruption or oppression anywhere.)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Psamathe wrote:
Mick F wrote:

Look more closely at the linked article.
I have.
Is it a spoof?
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
Crimea also voted for him - part of the Ukraine :lol:

Not any more it ain't.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:

I suspect it's a comment on the trustworthiness of the election process.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mr Putin apparently asked 'should I carry on until I am a hundred years old?'

Maybe the people will be given a chance to decide

I am looking forward to reading about his next meeting with the Bundeskanzlerin. He worked in Dresden before 1989, she speaks Russian
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

There is an interesting article in the Guardian which bears obliquely on this.

Gangster’s paradise: how organised crime took over Russia

Under Vladmir Putin, gangsterism on the streets has given way to kleptocracy in the state.

By Mark Galeotti

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/23/how-organised-crime-took-over-russia-vory-super-mafia
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?