Boris to visit Iran, what will he say?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

People here have probably heard of the UKdual nationality lady who is incarcerated by the Iranians for sedition I think ( all she did was to visit family it seems) Boris made it worse in commenting she only went there to teach journalism ie undermine the state. So given his tendancy to blunder around what will his first word there be you think?

My guess is he will say the UK would like the new Queen Elizabeth super carrrier to pay a "goodwill" visit :oops: ( a practice foreign navies do some times )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42275855
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Boris to visit Iran, what will he say?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Whatever mistakes he made, he is doing best to satisfy them by first, apologising in commons which IIRC was a condition of theirs.
Just being there might help.
No real need to slate old Boris, all parties make mistakes.
I am not having a go at you just my opinion and mine alone.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
softlips

Post by softlips »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Whatever mistakes he made, he is doing best to satisfy them by first, apologising in commons which IIRC was a condition of theirs.
Just being there might help.
No real need to slate old Boris, all parties make mistakes.
I am not having a go at you just my opinion and mine alone.

Mine too.

Just been asked to visit Iran myself to operate on a few patients there. Just wondering if anyone knows if they stamp your passport there or can you get a card like in Israel? If not it looks like I'll need a duplicate passport again.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

But he never really admitted he made a mistake nor has he really apologised. He only says people mis-interpreted what he said and was sorry if they misinterpreted what he said (at least that's the most Ive seen reported). Weasel words.

That is one of the issues with Boris, he is too arrogant to ever admit his mistakes.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Best would be for him to sit on his hands, keep his mouth firmly shut and leave the professional diplomats to do all the talking.

Ian
rjb

Post by rjb »

Lets hope he doesn't bring up " Bad Mood I'm A Dinner Jacket" . I wouldn't put it past him - on your bike Boris. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Interesting how Boris seems to support Iran having nuclear weapon so they should already like him (at least until he reads them his latest limerick)
From Boris' Telegraph column
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/3633097/Give-Iran-the-bomb-it-might-make-the-regime-more-pliable.html wrote:Give Iran the bomb: it might make the regime more pliable
Never mind the bleating from the UN and the snarlings of the Bush Administration and the stream of démarches from Margaret Beckett, which I would file immediately in the bin. If I were the member for Qom South, I would feel that it was my patriotic duty to equip my country, as fast as possible, with the biggest, shiniest, pointiest and most explosive thermonuclear device on the market.

Ian
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"Just been asked to visit Iran myself to operate on a few patients there. Just wondering if anyone knows if they stamp your passport there or can you get a card like in Israel? If not it looks like I'll need a duplicate passport again."

Not been since early '80s, on "government business" and both I and jolly senior official I accompanied had shiny clean passports. The Iranian affairs officials in London (full diplomatic relations were suspended) deliberately I assume issued me with only a 3 day visa for a 2 week stay! Passport thus taken from me for extension to be entered - on streets of Tehran with no passport quite unnerving! Extension signed by Tehran Chief of Police - and lots of stamps in and out!

Can't imagine any different now - get a clean passport is my advice.

If Boris doesn't get the poor lady out now, then his words will have condemned her to at best ill treatment and very probably death in custody. If he didn't know better he should have done. The Iranians see "linkage" everywhere. If he did know better then he is complicit in causing whatever happens to her - but he won't have to hear her screaming as he dines with his Iranian chums.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

djnotts wrote:..... If he did know better.....

He doesn't because he blusters his way through supported by his ex-Eton chums, argues black is white "and if anybody mis-interpredted what I said (that was explicit and unambiguous) ...".

It;s his ex-Eton public school chums that let he get away with his buffonery and stupidity. Without them he'd probably not even get re-elected but make a joke of it and quote the oft used "Boris is Boris" and people ignore the trouble he causes.

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, he probably won't say:
برو و سوت
(apologies to any Farsi speakers - that's the best Google can come up with).
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:People here have probably heard of the UKdual nationality lady who is incarcerated by the Iranians for sedition I think ( all she did was to visit family it seems) Boris made it worse in commenting she only went there to teach journalism ie undermine the state. So given his tendancy to blunder around what will his first word there be you think?

My guess is he will say the UK would like the new Queen Elizabeth super carrrier to pay a "goodwill" visit :oops: ( a practice foreign navies do some times )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42275855

Well that's about all the bloody thing can do without any aircraft.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Allright lads, a joke's a joke. Where's the return ticket?