Snow?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Snow?

Post by Mick F »

They've got it bad Up North. Nowt here, just a tad windy. Bright, sunny and dry.

How's it with you?
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Re: Snow?

Post by philvantwo »

Nearly 5 inches up here in the Midlands mick f!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

We had a light dusting on Thursday evening, but it froze hard so the pavements were treacherous. No reports of anybody trapped on Shap (old joke there :wink: ) No schools reported closed either, so it's pretty mild in absolute terms. The bin lorry stayed away and unusually, no sign of any scrap metal collectors. I put out a washing machine I'm replacing and normally, that would have disappeared before I was back in the house but it's still there after 48 hours. Either, they have succumbed to health and safety or, perhaps more likely, they've decided to have a bit of a lie in.

I saw the BBC News www had an item "How cold is it where you are?" I followed the link, assuming it was a questionnaire, but if you put in your postcode, it told you the temperature. What was that Billy Connolly said about looking out of the window? :lol:
=========================================================
edited to add, this Gildersome in South Leeds
Last edited by thirdcrank on 10 Dec 2017, 5:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Just the usual rain here.

We're supposed to be off to Shrewsbury tomorrow, but Sennybridge and Hereford have apparently got over 8" of snow, so not sure about travelling.
Anyone got news of the roads?

fausto.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

South West Midlands, about 5" since 4 a.m. and still falling steadily. Some rural roads closed, motorists steadily turning main roads into ice rinks. I did not go out today because I would have had to remove mudguards to stop clogging and I could not be bothered - and it is nice and warm by the computer versus just below freezing outside.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Our daughter was going to be driving down here from Bedford later today, but there's so much snow there, she can't at present get the car out. As far as I can tell, the main roads and motorways are slow and difficult, with temps at or below freezing, so she's not coming.
You have to get past Exeter before the temperature is ok.

Here, is bright and sunny, and our washing is getting a good blow on the line.
Temp at +10degC
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

N Wales has a fair bit of snow.
The higher the route the more testing/ difficult it will be.
At sea level and close to the coast there's very little. (in the West, North coast might be different)
Above 100 to 200 meters is where the freezing level is at moment.
Though there is wet snow lower than that.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

They promised us 10 to 20cm last night and got nowt,there's the odd flake ATM but the sky doesn't look laden so I'm expecting it'll just remain cold for the time being.
I wonder what it's like in Vorpal's neck 'o the woods :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

Woke up to a light dusting, maybe 1/4 of an inch. Rain has set in since, much less left now.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Re, Precipitation radar.
I think the radar for the whole of Europe is always much more interesting!!
It shows much better how the weather systems develop and move. The big picture!

Here for example.
http://www.weathercast.co.uk/radar/europe.html
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't know whether to be pleased, or paranoid about my data security. :shock: Within a couple of minutes of posting about my washing machine above, an open-backed tranny arrived and took it away. Normal service resumed or am I being tapped?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
A few miles from south devon coast, I can sit in my lounge and see Haytor dartmoor :)
Yesterday a light dusting, Prince Town was shown on the box with not much more.
Waiting for mist to clear over moors today, doubt I will see much.
Met office is down so relying on local BBC weather on box.

I won't be going far at the moment.

We live on one of the highest spots between the sea and moors so ice even black ice and snow are frequent but not every year.
Last 24 years probably snow only 1/4 - 1/3rd of those years and as its a cul-de-sac, up hill to get out, so the whole estate comes to standstill days on end, fortunately a 4X4 and my trail bikes means I am not stuck ever :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Si

Post by Si »

Seversl inches here. Side roads covered, main roads slushy, people driving around with letterbox sized holes cleared on the windscreens <roles eyes>

Just been to allotments winter fsir, pretty deserted, cakes at half price :-)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just been out and cleared and salted a path to the local shops from way up the road.

Nearly 5” here - put two of my three snow tyres on, I’m going out for a play later :D
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.