Who is responsible for snow?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

On the Beeb:

A venue set to host a special Harry Potter show has done what angry fans wanted - and called it off.
Ticketholders demanding an event be axed is a back-to-front scenario rarely seen beyond spells cast at Hogwarts.
But fans of the boy wizard feared they may encounter dangerous roads en route to the Genting Arena near Birmingham, which has been hit by heavy snowfall.
Despite customer pleas, the show looked like going ahead until it was postponed three hours before the performance.

Genting Arena is near Birmingham Airport where 25 flights on Sunday were cancelled before runways reopened.

Birmingham resident Jeff Waits, whose wife had a ticket, told the BBC the show should have been called off - and a lot sooner.
He said the decision was "late in the day for those travelling from further afield; they have to turn around and make their way back home".

The event - in which an orchestra plays a live soundtrack to a showing of The Chamber of Secrets film - was due to begin at 16:00 GMT.
On Sunday morning, Genting Arena said on Twitter the show would be going ahead and visitors should allow extra time for their journey.
That drew complaints from those fearing for attendees' safety.

Thomas Anthony Ellis
@Thomas_A_Ellis
@GentingArena be responsible and reschedule. There are families with children risking their lives to travel to this show. Call it Christmas Spirit or plain Common Sense, and make the right move. The show doesn’t always need to go on! #HarryPotter
12:57 PM - Dec 10, 2017
Replies Retweets 2 2 likes

Thomas Anthony Ellis
@Thomas_A_Ellis
@GentingArena be responsible and reschedule. There are families with children risking their lives to travel to this show. Call it Christmas Spirit or plain Common Sense, and make the right move. The show doesn’t always need to go on! #HarryPotter
12:57 PM - Dec 10, 2017
Replies Retweets 2 2 likes

Then at about 13:00, a second Twitter post by the venue said the show had been "postponed due to extreme weather conditions" and information on refunds and rescheduling would follow.
A spokesperson said: "We are communicating directly with customers that were due to attend the event to let them know of the cancellation and will keep them updated with further information as and when we are able."
That was not good enough for some.

Katie Wells
@PredictableKate
Replying to @PredictableKate and 6 others
Other venues cancelled, but nothing from you guys until now?Even 3 hours before the show is not ok! People would be travelling long distance
1:48 PM - Dec 10, 2017
Replies Retweets likes

Surely it is the problem of this attending to get there safely .... why are the organisers responsible for the weather, and for cancelling
gaz

Re: Who is responsible for snow?

Post by gaz »

The phrase "When the snowman brings the snow" comes to mind, coined by Wizzard.

Remind me, wasn't Harry Potter a Wizard? :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

gaz wrote:Who is responsible for snow?

The phrase "When the snowman brings the snow" comes to mind, coined by Wizzard.

Remind me, wasn't Harry Potter a Wizard? :wink:

Wizzard Roy Wood ELO, +1!

Lots of ski resorts in Germany have installed snow-making machines in case there is no snow from heaven
They use an awful lot of energy I think :(

The best thing about snow: children love it :D
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Seeing as most Hogwarts spells are constructed in Dog-Latin, may I suggest that the following is what Harry needs to do?

Wave his wand about and utter the word "Parinivem!"
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Junkers and the EU-crats - wanting to get across in dramatic ways that Brexit will lead to a winter of trade where trade is snowed up
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I think if you do a little asking around in rougher parts of your area you'll find your local dealer and he'll sort you out :wink: .
PH

Post by PH »

Cunobelin wrote:Surely it is the problem of this attending to get there safely .... why are the organisers responsible for the weather, and for cancelling

I think the answer is in your own post
"postponed due to extreme weather conditions" and information on refunds and rescheduling would follow.

I think the vast majority of those with tickets would have made their own minds up whether is was a good idea to travel or not. The venue or promoters decision is whether the tickets they hold then have any value.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Interesting discussion. The venue loses out by cancelling and rescheduling (assuming they carry the tickets over to the new show date or other ones that suit the ticket holders). The ticket holders lose out if they don't go to an un-cancelled show.

So will the venue have cancellation insurance for bad weather?

Who should lose out? The venue, ticket holders or insurance company? What it the legality of it?

Personally I think it's the ticket holder who loses out. Unless the venue can't put it on due to not enough staff.