Super Glue

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Super Glue

Post by pete75 »

cycleruk wrote:
pete75 wrote:
cycleruk wrote:Used super glue on balsa wood model planes. Gaps can be filled using baking soda as mentioned above. But fill gap first with the powder then a drop of glue to set it. Also a drop of spit on the joint first also helps.
Normally would use a PVA based glue but the super glue was instant compared with setting rate of PVA.

Used to use Keil Kraft balsa wood glue when I made them.
First came across super glue stuff in the late seventies. At work we had a Loctite kit for making O rings - lengths of different diameter material you'd cut to size and then stick with the glue. May be wrong but I was told Loctite developed it for that purpose. Can you remember the early adverts where a gymnast type chappy glued a rubber ring together and then did acrobatics dangling from it. Bet it was made of Loctite O ring material which they knew the glue worked well on.

We had a similar demonstration at work. Rep' came with "O" ring kit which we used on the odd occasion we didn't have the correct size.
The trick was to get the two ends to marry up perfectly. Hopefully without sticking various fingers together. :oops:

Ours had a thing like a glorified cigar cutter to cut the ends square which helped with the join.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

fausto copy wrote:I find Super Glue exactly the same as Cling Film.

It only ever sticks to whatever you don't want it to. :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Another question.

Every now and again, we need super glue. Maybe only two or three times a year, but when you want it, you want it.

Only this morning, I mended something - (non bike related) - and the tube that I'd used previously, had a seized solid cap. Try as I might, I couldn't open it, so pierced the tube with a pin and let the glue out onto a piece of paper to apply using a matchstick.

That worked well, but what was really needed, was a decent tube.

Can you buy super glue in a proper plastic bottle that seals properly and will open properly, even months between uses?
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

No.

But if you go to somewhere that builders go you can buy a big bottle 75ml or so for fourpence, and the benefit is that you can get a pair of pliers on the bigger tube when it's welded itself closed as usual.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick
UPVC suppliers usually stock two types,thin and thick the thick lasts longer in the larger bottles Boney mentions
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bonefishblues wrote:Nothing that I can see. Given their tendency to stick their own caps to the tube, then multiple tubes is a smart choice.

I think a few small tubes rather than a big tube makes sense for that reason. I bet you dont use the glue that often so it might be months before you have to use it again and the remainder may have deteriorated? Thats how Poundlander tends to sell it 4 or 5 small tubes for a £1
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Nothing that I can see. Given their tendency to stick their own caps to the tube, then multiple tubes is a smart choice.

I think a few small tubes rather than a big tube makes sense for that reason. I bet you dont use the glue that often so it might be months before you have to use it again and the remainder may have deteriorated? Thats how Poundlander tends to sell it 4 or 5 small tubes for a £1

Probably so, but my big bottle will last forever (or at least until the strength to jemmy it open leaves me, which may come first).

It was indeed bought from a upvc window company by the way.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I keep the opened glue in the fridge. It's supposed to last longer. Just be careful you don't squirt it onto a sandwich. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I did try super-gluing part of a rim tape to a rim, once. I thought the tape was slipping sideways, exposing the spoke-holes and causing p***tures (that wasn't the cause, it later transpired). But the glue wouldn't stick either the tape or the rims. It did go all over my hands though - and although I managed to prise my fingers apart, it was a devil of a job to clean the stuff off. Persisted for several days.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
Horrible stuff on your fingers. Been there, done that!

As for slipping rim tape, use double-sided sticky tape under it, or a couple of revolutions of PVC tape on the top. Use a penknife to cut the hole for the valve.
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I buy superglue from an on-line hobbies supplier: 2.10 € for a 1.7 oz bottle & ~3€ postage. I've been using the same bottle on & off since April last year.

What I can't find to buy in France is Würth's superglue accelerator - something about postal regs. It makes the glue cure in seconds.

BTW, is the masking-tape/superglue trick widely known? If you have a workpiece to hold down, you put a length of tape on it and another on the bench, then glue the two pieces of tape together with superglue. When you're done they're very easy to pull apart - miles easier than double-sided tape.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Mick F wrote::lol: :lol:

I read somewhere that it was originally developed for battlefield surgeons as a means of closing wounds. No idea if that's right, though.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Wiki says nah, albeit it was a byproduct of military research.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:Can you buy super glue in a proper plastic bottle that seals properly and will open properly, even months between uses?
Well, I spent a fiver in Morrisons yesterday for some Gorilla Super Glue.
I see Amazon sell it but 16p more.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GORILLA-404450 ... glue+super
Not tried the brush, but the glue from the nozzle came out fine, and they tell you in the instructions to wipe the nozzle after use with a dry cloth.
This I did, and tried to open the bottle 24hrs later to see if it had seized .................. and it was absolutely fine and clean.
Time will tell of course, but I'm very optimistic.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Audax67 wrote:
Mick F wrote::lol: :lol:

I read somewhere that it was originally developed for battlefield surgeons as a means of closing wounds. No idea if that's right, though.

It's very good for closing small wounds.Some years ago I asked a doctor about using it on small cuts etc an he said it would be OK to use it.
Earlier in the year I had a hernia repair done by keyhole surgery,the three wounds were sealed with superglue :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden