Super Glue

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Super Glue

Post by Mick F »

We were in Plymouth yesterday shopping etc.
I wanted some Super Glue, so called into my favourite city centre tool shop.

They had a few makes on offer. Can't remember them, but I could have paid £4.99 for a single tube or even (only) £2.99. I went for the three tubes for a quid option. :D

What's the difference in Super Glue?
Quality? Strength?

Why pay £4.99 fo a tube when you can buy three for a quid ............ in the same shop?
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Re: Super Glue

Post by Bonefishblues »

Nothing that I can see. Given their tendency to stick their own caps to the tube, then multiple tubes is a smart choice.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I always judge the quality by how well my fingers get stuck together.

I’m trying a flexible superglue at the moment on a split tyre. It works better than the brittle stuff (which all seem much of a muchness)
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I use superglue but very infrequently. Usually by the time I come to re-use the tube it has become unusable. :x
Last ones I bought, and work fine :-
Poundland 8 tubes for a pound.
http://www.poundland.co.uk/tommy-walsh- ... -3g-8-pack
You'll never know if you don't try it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think Super Glue is a trademark for a particular make of cyanoacrylate adhesive (if I have the spelling right.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_g ... trademarks

As well as being used as a generic term for all makes of that stuff, it also seems to be bandied about for strong adhesives of different types.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

cycleruk wrote:I use superglue but very infrequently. Usually by the time I come to re-use the tube it has become unusable. :x
Last ones I bought, and work fine :-
Poundland 8 tubes for a pound.
http://www.poundland.co.uk/tommy-walsh- ... -3g-8-pack

I took another route and bought a mahoosive one (something like 50mls) for about a fiver from a local UPVC window place and use a toothpick once I have unscrewed the base of the nozzle, which long since ceased to be useable. I've had it for at least 7 or 8 years now.
Si

Post by Si »

I find that the pound shop stuff is runnier, takes longer to set, isnt as strong but is more likely to stick the lid to the tube.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

So ..................... it's like most things in life, you get what you pay for?

I still think that three tubes for a quid is better than one for a fiver.
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

If you've got super glue that wont set dust with baking soda . Ive got bottle of high strength stuff in the loft that i use on the model railway along with a chemical accelerater. But this stuff is a bit nasty apply with a cotton bud in well ventilated areas. Obtainable from hobby king (usual disclaimer ) cant think what its called at the moment if I go up later I'll have a look
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Reminds me - must pop out in the next day or two, and get another tube of rubber cement - squeezed out the last drop today in order to fix a 'fairy visit' that caught me out this morning .... :(

Super Glue - bah humbug! In my experience much over-rated. There have been numerous times when I've had it fail to stick....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Used super glue on balsa wood model planes. Gaps can be filled using baking soda as mentioned above. But fill gap first with the powder then a drop of glue to set it. Also a drop of spit on the joint first also helps.
Normally would use a PVA based glue but the super glue was instant compared with setting rate of PVA.
Last edited by cycleruk on 21 Dec 2017, 11:04am, edited 1 time in total.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I'd have done the same. Nothing I can buy is anywhere as good as the stuff I used to 'borrow' from work!
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I find Super Glue exactly the same as Cling Film.

It only ever sticks to whatever you don't want it to. :twisted:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

cycleruk wrote:Used super glue on balsa wood model planes. Gaps can be filled using baking soda as mentioned above. But fill gap first with the powder then a drop of glue to set it. Also a drop of spit on the joint first also helps.
Normally would use a PVA based glue but the super glue was instant compared with setting rate of PVA.

Used to use Keil Kraft balsa wood glue when I made them.
First came across super glue stuff in the late seventies. At work we had a Loctite kit for making O rings - lengths of different diameter material you'd cut to size and then stick with the glue. May be wrong but I was told Loctite developed it for that purpose. Can you remember the early adverts where a gymnast type chappy glued a rubber ring together and then did acrobatics dangling from it. Bet it was made of Loctite O ring material which they knew the glue worked well on.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

pete75 wrote:
cycleruk wrote:Used super glue on balsa wood model planes. Gaps can be filled using baking soda as mentioned above. But fill gap first with the powder then a drop of glue to set it. Also a drop of spit on the joint first also helps.

Used to use Keil Kraft balsa wood glue when I made them.
First came across super glue stuff in the late seventies. At work we had a Loctite kit for making O rings - lengths of different diameter material you'd cut to size and then stick with the glue. May be wrong but I was told Loctite developed it for that purpose. Can you remember the early adverts where a gymnast type chappy glued a rubber ring together and then did acrobatics dangling from it. Bet it was made of Loctite O ring material which they knew the glue worked well on.

We had a similar demonstration at work. Rep' came with "O" ring kit which we used on the odd occasion we didn't have the correct size.
The trick was to get the two ends to marry up perfectly. Hopefully without sticking various fingers together. :oops: