Recommend me some books.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fossala

Recommend me some books.

Post by fossala »

It was my birthday a few months ago and my Dad asked me what I wanted. I read a lot, mainly politics, philosophy and history (boring, I know). My Dad was unsure what to buy me but knows I love cycling and cycle touring. He bought me a copy of One man and his bike by Mike Carter. I put off reading it for a while because I don't tend to read books other than the afore mentioned. Anyway, picked it up 2 days ago and have nearly finished it. Easy read but I am enjoying it.

Any good touring books to read? I'm planning a 3 week UK tour next year so UK based would be best.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Recommend me some books.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Fat man on a roman road, Tom Vernon
He wrote some other books too I think
The kingdom by the sea, Paul Theroux (about people not cycling)

There are already several threads about cycling and other books here

One of my favourite non-cycling books:
Spoken Here by Mark Abley, about minority languages. You *must* read it if you are going to Wales :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Well I have to say that you started off with one of the best books around; so well written and thought provoking.

Slightly dated they may be, but any of ex-CTC mag editor (and late) Tim Hughes are wonderfully evocative touring books.

Another great read is The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton. If you're not moved by that book, you shouldn't be riding. :wink:

No doubt there will be many more suggestions forthcoming.

Enjoy 2018.

fausto.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Stephen Primrose-Smith has written the best books yet on bicycle touring. Clever guy and very funny. He pops in and out of here on occasion. You’ll love his work.
Si

Post by Si »

The emi!y chapel book is well worth it.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
Not Cycling but walking through some of England and life.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Si wrote:The emi!y chapel book is well worth it.

Yes! Proabably one of the best.

Another: The Bicycle Book by Bella Bathurst
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

It's all about the bike by Robert Penn is well worth a read.
Cycling UK Publicity

Post by Cycling UK Publicity »

Hi everyone -

Before Christmas, I put together an article for the Cycling UK website here: https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/give- ... -christmas about books to give for presents for Christmas.

They were all ones that had been reviewed for Cycling Magazine in the past year. Because it was so popular, and due to our being sent more books by members to look at, we thought it'd be a good idea to put together another books article for the New Year.

I was wondering if any of you would be happy for me to use your suggestions here for the article?

We were interested in getting books cyclists love, not just ones that have been previously reviewed.

Let me know - and thanks!

Natalie
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Dictionaries are fascinating, I have an English-German one from 1957, there are some old words in it that I know and others that were on their way out 60 years ago. What will dictionaries be like in 2078?

I do like reading the imprints in books and magazines (used to work in the trade)

Some food packs are printed with so much information, I used to take them to read on the bus :?
On a long bus or train journey one could read the small print on packs of medicine. Best to have a dictionary to hand too maybe
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Always difficult to recommend books, but your interest in history, philosophy and politics suggest that what appeals to you is human stories and the deeper narratives behind those stories and so I'd suggest looking to some of the more literary travel writers such as Jonathan Raban or more contemporary travelers like Horatio Clare. A book I've read this year that's caught my imagination is James Suzman's 'Affluence Without Abundance' about the cultures of the Kalahari bushmen. You never know what is going to grab you with books.Over the past few months I've been ploughing through travel, history, natural history, science and a couple of great novels.
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

Can I suggest The 39 Stops which is a thriller in which the hero,Richard Hannay is on the run from the police and a secret organisation trying to smuggle out state secrets.?I also would urge you to look at this link

https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/20170406 ... uit-spring

Finally I would suggest a look at Nick Cranes accounts where he cycles in some very remote areas eg Tibet,Royston Vasey and the like.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

This may seem bizarre, but...

I found an old (1926) Muirheads Blue Guide to England in a book shop, and I loved reading about places I was going to visit, seeing how it compares, which buildings and hotels / features exist and change.

I now have the full UK set given to me over the years.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:This may seem bizarre, but...

I found an old (1926) Muirheads Blue Guide to England in a book shop, and I loved reading about places I was going to visit, seeing how it compares, which buildings and hotels / features exist and change.

I now have the full UK set given to me over the years.

Plus One, not bizarre at all
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Nowt to do with cycling, but I’ve just (re)read Itnition by John D Clark

Excellent book...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.