The Happy Christmas Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

The Happy Christmas Thread

Post by mercalia »

well its been a funny year with lots of gloom. time to stuff your gobhole and drink your self silly for a few days?

So happy xmas to all here

[youtube]vZIzFm4BEQk[/youtube]

gaz

Re: The Happy Christmas Thread

Post by gaz »

[youtube]68N43K5Y0Ek[/youtube]
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Maybe - Scrooge* that I am allegedly - I wasn't meant to reply to this thread, but......

Hasn't that rather fatuous piece of doggerel (hardly deserves to be called a 'song') been a wee bit over-worked on the parody line? I think every possible variation and spin on it that could possibly be dreamt up, has already been dreamt up. (Isn't there some guy out there who, each year, meticulously works out the cost of each of these gifts?) There are other 'counting' songs out there that could be worked on. Oh - and what happens on day 13? Do the gifts suddenly stop?

Incidentally, does anything in the text prove that the gifts are meant to be cumulative? It is surely more plausible that each gift is bestowed once only, and the remaining lines in each verse allude to gifts already given on the preceding days.....

Whatever....

Enjoy this time of the year, folks, in whichever way suits your persona best. And have a happy and prosperous following 12 months! :)

*Remember, in the story, in the last chapter, Scrooge is a reformed character. Above all he makes generous donations to charities (which he had earlier refused). Perhaps I'm not all that different to Scrooge after all...... :?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Ray

Post by Ray »

Art for art's sake - or just a winter bike ride?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gl ... e-42456773
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ray wrote:Art for art's sake - or just a winter bike ride?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gl ... e-42456773
I saw that this morning surfing the BBC News website.
Excellent!
This one is really good.
Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 09.18.20.png

It's all very well if you live in a big city or urban area, so all you need to do is draw your picture on a map and get the roads to match up.
I don't think I can do anything so elaborate here. I've almost completed my task of cycling all the roads in Cornwall (within reason) so I should be able to work out a route that would write something ........... though the "handwriting" would be a bit untidy! :lol:

I'm going to give it some thought .....................
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What is *within reason*? :wink:
One could do the drawings in the country, but one would have to ride much further
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Within reason, means not doing every single street/road/housing estate etc.
So far, I've done just about every road with reason, but I need to drive down to Camborne long stay carpark and do another 60odd mile ride. I spent a couple of days in Penzance last spring and did two long days covering the Far West.

I use a GPS device and record my rides, and the new roads are inked in to a road map using a painting program on my computer.

I plan on doing every road and being within a mile of anywhere in the county I can get to.

Samples:
Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 10.49.16.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 10.49.33.png
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:Within reason, means not doing every single street/road/housing estate etc.
So far, I've done just about every road with reason, but I need to drive down to Camborne long stay carpark and do another 60odd mile ride. I spent a couple of days in Penzance last spring and did two long days covering the Far West.

I use a GPS device and record my rides, and the new roads are inked in to a road map using a painting program on my computer.

I plan on doing every road and being within a mile of anywhere in the county I can get to.

Samples:Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 10.49.16.pngScreen Shot 2017-12-24 at 10.49.33.png

looks to me you have missed out lots :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote:looks to me you have missed out lots :wink:
Zoomed in in West Cornwall. As I said, I need another trip to Camborne.
Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 12.32.06.png

This is the route I have planned. Maybe next month or February. Just short of 50miles.
Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 12.35.26.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

When you have knocked off Cornwall you can start on England, or Devon at least, are there more roads there than in Cornwall? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

When I started the whole idea, I telephoned Cornwall Highways for a list of roads.
One issue was the fact that they didn't have a list that was useful to me, but the main thing I learnt was that Cornwall has the longest road system in any county in the UK.

It used to be Devon, but since Torbay, Exeter and Plymouth are no longer in "Devon" but are separate Unitary Authorities, Cornwall Highways have the longest road system.
Mick F. Cornwall