Other fora, cycling and other interests

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Other fora, cycling and other interests

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I am not only interested in cycling

What other forums do you use? I am interested in almost everything but especially in old railways, history, languages, cooking, books, Wales, languages, Germany, walking

Diolch yn fawr iawn i bawb
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Re: Other fora, cycling and other interests

Post by 661-Pete »

Well that's quite an impressive list. Compared to anything I can boast of!

No other cycling forums. A couple of years ago I took up bridge again, and I occasionally post on the forum linked to a site where you can play online bridge. I post only about the game however - never in the off-topic section - and my posts probably wouldn't interest someone who doesn't play.

At the same time (retirement - see!) I took up crossword puzzles - both solving and setting, and most days I'll put something on a blog called fifteensquared or "225" for short. Under a different username, mind you! And I'm not disclosing.

Others? I probably still have registrations on some of the astronomy forums (except SGL - I got booted from there :shock: ). But I've deserted them for years. I find I just don't have the energy to stay up in the wee small hours any more - and the weather's bad so much of the time...

That's about it, really. I reckon I have a lot of 'signings-up' on obscure forums, over the years, which I've never used and clean forgotten about. Sometimes I get mysterious E-mails announcing updates etc. - just to jog my memory.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Oh, and the Flat Earth guys. Mustn't forget them! Trouble is, there are two rival forums, and I can't remember which one I'm registered with. :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Both maybe :?

I am not retired yet, but already trying to develop interests to keep my brain active

Why, I am even interested in things that do not interest me, collecting stamps for example. Or chess, but I can not relate to that or to bridge

I go to a pub-quiz group too. Fortunately not in a pub. When it was my turn to set the questions I asked:
What are/were Rennrad Norwich and Hull Thursday? :wink:
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Both maybe :?
I go to a pub-quiz group too. Fortunately not in a pub. When it was my turn to set the questions I asked:

Hmmm, interesting. So before consulting Google Rennrad is obviously German but not a word I've come across before. You'd think it'd be name for a club interested in road racing but usually that would be ' Radsport'. And why a German club in or associated with Norwich? Hull Thursday could of course have been a cycling club which met, raced or had use of a velodrome on Thursdays.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:

Hmmm, interesting. So before consulting Google Rennrad is obviously German but not a word I've come across before. You'd think it'd be name for a club interested in road racing but usually that would be ' Radsport'. And why a German club in or associated with Norwich? Hull Thursday could of course have been a cycling club which met, raced or had use of a velodrome on Thursdays.

Both are cycling clubs, I guess Norwich honoured a twin town in Deutschland

Rennrad: racing bike
Laufrad: (cycle) wheel

Didn't bother asking about Sheffield Wednesday, that would have been too easy :wink:
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I guess cycling is my main interest and I do quite a bit for my club and also the CTT South Wales District. The only cycling forums I regularly visit are this one (checking in at least twice a day) and very occasionally the time-trialling forum.

Away from cycling, I have dear old BBC set as my homepage and think it's excellent and enjoy the comments section on some of the higher profile news stories or sports events. I regularly visit Ancestry, IMDb (sadly the forum got pulled as it was really getting out of hand), a Johnny Cash Forum (huge fan), a Kate Bush Forum (a dormant fan but I love the people there), YouTube and I'm always on eBay and Gumtree. As a film fan, I love going to the cinema with my family and will go to the local Odeon to see a blockbuster but also go to the local arthouse cinema with my wife to see a foreign language film or a black and white classic on the big screen.

Until about a year ago I was mad keen on a particular flight sim where I was more interested in the graphics side of things (designing markings and 'skins' to wrap around the 3D model) but took what was supposed to be a very short break when my gaming PC went to silicon heaven last Autumn. I suddenly realised how much time I was spending on this and simply haven't bothered going back to it. If I'm honest, I've not done anything exciting with my 'saved' time - just listening to music and spending time with the family watching TV together

I'm not one for social media. I don't do Facebook or Twitter (some work colleagues are obsessed, to the detriment of their jobs) and I spend about 5 minutes a week maximum on LinkedIn.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is not this forum *social media*?
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Motorhome forum.
Photography.
Avoiding social media. :)
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I tend to use forums as a source of information from seasoned veterans but these days YouTube has replaced a lot of forums for me in this regard.
There's not much you can't find someone doing on YouTube, even stuff that would never have occurred to me.

I have a number of YouTube channels I follow whose subjects are broadly; engineering, woodworking, cnc, maths, physics, anything sciencey - plus work related stuff.
But usually anything that involves making 'stuff' - I was watching an interesting one the other day about a guy making photochromic glass, showing what ingredients, how to mix them and what effect they had on the final glass.

I seem to be registered to lots of forums although I haven't visited most in years - if they still exist.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Is not this forum *social media*?

Not IMHO but I'll let others decide on definitions!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I sometimes comment on a motorhome forum but since most of the vans owned by other members are about 15 years younger than mine and they are all obviously well heeled I feel a bit out of my depth.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I used to float on poultry, gardening, arb and bushcraft fora (new word for me) but there’s only so much time in a day.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Spinners wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Is not this forum *social media*?

Not IMHO but I'll let others decide on definitions!

By every definition I can find it is indeed.

Wikipedia wrote:Social media are computer-mediated technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, career interests and other forms of expression via virtual communities and networks.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:

Both are cycling clubs, I guess Norwich honoured a twin town in Deutschland

Rennrad: racing bike
Laufrad: (cycle) wheel

Probably Koblenz, as the signs say "Norwich, a fine city, twinned with Rouen, Koblenz and Novi Sad."
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.