Other fora, cycling and other interests

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Spinners

Re: Other fora, cycling and other interests

Post by Spinners »

kwackers wrote:
Spinners wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Is not this forum *social media*?

Not IMHO but I'll let others decide on definitions!

By every definition I can find it is indeed.

For an alternative view take less than a minute to search “are forums social media”. You don’t even need to drill into the results to see that it’s not so clear cut and that other opinions exist.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I suppose it's down to the people who inhabit it - not the enabling media - who determine whether it's more 'forum' or more 'social'.

I used to think, the defunct ACF and its successor YACF were more like social media than forums. But this one is more like a forum - at least outside of the Tea Shop! But that's only my opinion.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Spinners wrote:For an alternative view take less than a minute to search “are forums social media”. You don’t even need to drill into the results to see that it’s not so clear cut and that other opinions exist.

I've seen the other views and dismissed them. They all appear to be based around folk disliking the linking of forums and things like Facebook and any other 'social media' forum inhabitants deem to be unsavoury and the arguments appear to be artificial constructs designed to separate the two.

By every technical description a forum is a social construct based in electronic media, therefore it's social media. Attempts to move it away from this for personal reasons don't count.
If folk don't want to refer to them as social media that's their prerogative, I'd suggest using the term "forum" instead.

This forum differs from things like Facebook only in presentation.
They both have posts, threads, social interaction, time based ordering and even the liking and disliking of posts eg the oft posted "+1".
The only real difference is the thread hierarchy, i.e. the major grouping of threads under headings and the better search facility in a forum (much easier to find old threads).

If you want to be really picky I'd say it's more about how they're used than the technical stuff, but then some forums are poor versions of Facebook and some Facebook pages are particularly good versions of Forums.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

kwackers wrote:
Spinners wrote:For an alternative view take less than a minute to search “are forums social media”. You don’t even need to drill into the results to see that it’s not so clear cut and that other opinions exist.

I've seen the other views and dismissed them.

I wasn’t attempting to change your mind, I was just highlighting the fact that other views exist :roll:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I'm not on other forums, but I do follow various other hobbies on Facebook for Birdwatching, cycling, gym, fitness and nutrition

I bought a new car recently and joined the owners club forum which was run by the manufacturer and just seemed to be used exclusively by people moaning about their cars and ranting about the customer service so I left it again. Imo They were all petty gripes by people with unrealistic expectations
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Spinners wrote:I wasn’t attempting to change your mind, I was just highlighting the fact that other views exist :roll:

There are always other views - the problem is they're not convincing.
Folk just seem to like to subdivide everything down partly I assume because they want to be part of some 'out' group rather than the main stream.

Not wanting to call forums social media is such an attempt, before forums we had Usenet - which imo was also social media, before that the various bbs's - Compuserve etc (also social media).

Why make it hard?
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

kwackers wrote:
Spinners wrote:I wasn’t attempting to change your mind, I was just highlighting the fact that other views exist :roll:

There are always other views - the problem is they're not convincing.

What I'm reading here is that you cannot accept another opinion other than your own. Whether it's looks, layout or 'likes' I do not view forums such as this to be social media - it's a personal view so just deal with it.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I think it is social media, I want to be a bit modern and I can not go on farcebook :wink:

*what you think of me is none of my business*
Teri Cole-Whittaker, quoted elsewhere on these fora
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Spinners wrote:What I'm reading here is that you cannot accept another opinion other than your own. Whether it's looks, layout or 'likes' I do not view forums such as this to be social media - it's a personal view so just deal with it.

Accept in what sense? That it's not social media? Why would I do that?

Or accept that other people have a different view? I do that, I just think they're wrong.

If the second then by not accepting my view you're apparently as guilty as I am of not accepting yours. ;)

If you want to convince me that I'm wrong, point me to an official definition of "social media" and show me why forums don't fit.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Could say that forums are an elegant form of social media for a more civilised age. :P

Given the relatively gradual evolution of such matters from the very early systems of the proto internet through newsgroups/usenet, early BBs, then web based forums and niche interest sites (you could have profiles etc on those) through to modern more generalised efforts like the effectively dead MySpace, bebo and friends reunited to the successful Facebook it seems a little arbitrary to draw a line at some point.

The point in question here seems to be that when the internet was dumbed down enough that any old moron managed to get on it and mess it up :)

kwackers wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:Social media are computer-mediated technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, career interests and other forms of expression via virtual communities and networks.

Sounds lifted from some social scientists paper, the pretentious (and incorrect) pluralising of an Latin rooted uncountable noun gives it away, ugh :?
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Other than cycling, I think that my collection of toe nail clippings is the only thing keeping me sane :?
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Stevek76 wrote:
kwackers wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:Social media are computer-mediated technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, career interests and other forms of expression via virtual communities and networks.

Sounds lifted from some social scientists paper, the pretentious (and incorrect) pluralising of an Latin rooted uncountable noun gives it away, ugh :?

Is "medium" uncountable then? When did that happen?

As for the topic, the other forums I frequent at the moment are Linux Questions and Walk Highlands. Other interests don't seem to have a forum I can get on with at the moment.

I do use Faecebook every week or so, sometimes with trepidation.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

When language evolves, our use of medium and media have separated and expanded considerably from their latin origins. The vast majority of people when using media in the meaning of something to transport information, use it as a singular uncountable/mass noun: 'The media are (Edit: I've just realised this is plural, doh :oops:, but 'is' also works here and what is countable is the number of types of media, not the number of e.g. journalists. If it's only the papers outside then it's usually an 'is') waiting outside his house', 'social media is harming our children' etc. Medium in such a sense typically refers to a single type, not a single item. E.g. TV is a medium, films are a medium, "Mr. Smith communicated his ideas via the medium of film", no one ever refers to a single paper or program or film as 'a medium'. Or perhaps 'how many media does the newsagent stock?' nonsense sentence!

The actual latin word medium means either middle or community. The sense of it expanding to something for something else to travel through is very much an english evolution, most likely first in science, then for information. The attachment to latin pluralisation is rather pointless. It's also incorrect from a latin perspective which. If you want to go full latin, media is only the plural in specific cases, mediis and mediorum would also need to be used. A blanket use of the nominative is daft.

There are other borrowed latin words that more or less far along this line of evolution. Take stamina and agenda. Ever heard anyone asking 'how many agenda are left in a meeting?', 'Can we quickly cover the rest of these agenda? I need to get the 15:00 train.'

The most irksome for me is probably 'these data'. Data, a word that literally in latin means 'given' (dare = to give, do = I give). Like media, our current usage seems to have fallen through from science where writers already started to warp the meanings while writing in latin and then kept words over, essentially as jargon, when they moved to using modern languages. When asked how many data they have, the answer, of course, comes back in the form of how much.

As for forums, pianos. Used to do much with computer games, not so much now.
Last edited by Stevek76 on 11 Jan 2018, 7:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Car forums.
First there was the French Car Forum when we had a Clio, then the Fiat Forum when we had a Fiat500, and now the Toyota Forum now we have Yaris.

Apple Community, to ask and answer tech questions regarding difficulties. Latest one I have is SD card reading. One computer reads and writes them all, but another will do only one of them.
Any ideas? :wink:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/32853035#32853035

Mrs Mick F is an avid FaceBooker. She's an excellent networker, and knows lots of people.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I used to float on poultry, gardening, arb and bushcraft fora (new word for me) but there’s only so much time in a day.

Think I've seen you on BCUK but could be mistaken.

I'm into this outdoors based. A few cycling, a running one, a few walking ones, Bushcraft and a few more related to medical conditions or work. I'm kind of lapsed on a few of them but as usual I get heavily into one then just move on. Actually just remembered I'm on a few dog fora too. Breed and breed rescue fora.

I think that's all, but I cannot be sure!