where to stay?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: where to stay?

Post by thirdcrank »

I was just trying to say that you should stick to the wife you have, rather than going astray looking at widows. That's the way to end up in trouble. :wink:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If you get nice weather, the coast is nice.

If you are going as far as Norwich, you could go a little bit further and take a boat tour of the Norfolk Broads, which involves almost no walking :) I did a tour on a river boat when the little ones were small, and really enjoyed it. Even if the weather is dire, you can sit inside, and have a cup of tea, and watch the birds on the marsh.

edited to add: if you want to combine the Broads and raliways, there's also the Bure Valley Railway.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

thirdcrank wrote:I was just trying to say that you should stick to the wife you have, rather than going astray looking at widows. That's the way to end up in trouble. :wink:

:lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
rjb

Post by rjb »

Vetus Ossa wrote:My sons treated us a two day stay in a guest house in Bath towards the end of the month.
I have no idea of the cost but will report back on the accommodation and “things to do” if you’re interested.
I have trouble with hills too so you may be interested to know how I cope.

Are you taking your bike?
Try the 2 Tunnels ( walk or bike)
And if you have time take the bus to Wells.
:wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Vorpal wrote:If you get nice weather, the coast is nice.

If you are going as far as Norwich, you could go a little bit further and take a boat tour of the Norfolk Broads, which involves almost no walking :) I did a tour on a river boat when the little ones were small, and really enjoyed it. Even if the weather is dire, you can sit inside, and have a cup of tea, and watch the birds on the marsh.

edited to add: if you want to combine the Broads and raliways, there's also the Bure Valley Railway.

In March? would be a bit bleak and nippy?
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

No bike on this outing sadly.
The short holiday is to celebrate my wife’s birthday so we will be having together time.
The two tunnels walk sounds interesting, ill google that one, as does the bus trip to Wells.
Cheers ex Plymouth bloke :)
Beauty will save the world.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mercalia wrote:

It could be, but it could also be lovely weather. It's a good time for migratory birds, and if you are sitting in boat or train, what difference does it make?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:I was just trying to say that you should stick to the wife you have, rather than going astray looking at widows. That's the way to end up in trouble. :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Maybe you could do a crazy thing that the Amis like to do in Vegas, marry her again! I understand one can even engage Elvis Presley to sing at the ceremony
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:
mercalia wrote:

It could be, but it could also be lovely weather. It's a good time for migratory birds, and if you are sitting in boat or train, what difference does it make?

If you like migratory birds and have a car or bikes, there might still be swans at Welney in March and it's nearer and a more unusual landscape than the broads at that time of year. Then you could visit March in March for a giggle.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Hi All
a quick update

Thanks for all your replies, we did settle on Kings Lynn and the Dukes Head Hotel. travelled down on t he Friday lots of traffic (via woodhead etc) .

Just as an aside I was at work a few weeks before we left and we were chatting to the local Vicar who came from Kings Lynn. it also transpires that as a lad he worked in t he Dukes Head Hotel !!!!!

The Hotel was superb. location was just right for us. In front of the hotel was the local market square, so on the Sunday (anniversary day) we walked out of the hotel across the Square to a nice Italian Restaurant and had a nice meal. came out of the restaurant and into the Corn Exchange now a Theatre to watch a performance from Elkie Brookes. Watch the show walk back across the car park back into the hotel ... Awsome :D
days out included a trip to Norwich cathedral. Wells next the Sea. a visit to a massive beer warehouse. and on the way home via Boston and St Botolphs church with a trip up the spire (Boston Stump) well recommend that but not for the feint hearted narrow spiral staircase but cracking views. nearly didn't get up it as the weather was a bit naff and it was closed but the nice guys in the church checked the weather (wind speed) and pointed out that the top set of steps would be wet. I mentioned that I had been a member of the local caving club at home for 25 years after a chat they allowed me access.

so a really good long weekend was had one thing we did comment on after south Yorkshire the roads were in really good condition, not a pothole in sight for 100's of miles

brilliant

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Boston Stump, +99! Never been there :?
Your next stop could be Ulm, Germany, the highest church spire in the world, one may ascend nearly to the top
768 steps, good for non-cycling muscles
Just like cycling. Going down is worse than going up :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies