where to stay?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ferrit worrier

where to stay?

Post by ferrit worrier »

Mrs fw and I are contemplating a long weekend away in March (40th wedding aniversary) Bristol Bath or Kings Lynn. Given that mrs FW can't walk any great distance these days any observations would be appreciated.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
jgurney

Re: where to stay?

Post by jgurney »

Bristol and Bath are both full of hills, which might be particularly difficult for her. Kings Lynn is flat.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Bristol has some great sights, the SS Great Britain is well worth a look (I don't remember it being difficult to get around but being a ship it must have accessibility restrictions), there's a zoo and an attractive 'gentrified' harbour area. Bath I suspect will be similar in having a range of attractions though I've not been.

But why Lynn? I'm afraid it's pretty tame compared with Bristol or Bath (but then it's not a city and nothing like as big as the two). There's a tiny 'heritage' harbour area, but I can't think of much else to recommend it, I think most of the attractive sights are outside the town, no problem if you are driving and don't mind castles and priories. I write this as someone who lived in Norfolk for 8 years and worked in/visited Lynn occasionally. Frankly if you want a city break in Norfolk, go to Norwich.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Any particular reason for this initial short list? I don't spot a common theme here. :?
Last edited by thirdcrank on 4 Jan 2018, 4:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I suppose Chester is a bit too close to you?
Apart from the city itself and lovely riverside, a great location for a bit of touring (by car) though.
Suggest Llangollen, Shrewsbury, Conwy all within an hour or so and nice places for a gentle stroll around.

I'll wish you congratulations in advance.

fausto.

Just remembered, we visited Bodnant Gardens for our 40th a couple of years ago, when based in Llanrwst.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I would choose the *Hanseatic City of Kings Lynn*, I am sure there is enough to see there, one could not see it all but one could comprehend the place in a couple of days

Bristol or Bath or even Shrewsbury (one of my favourites) are really too big and busy

As for Norwich, it has more medieval churches than one can shake a stick at, one would probably need to spend a couple of weeks there
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

whats so great about Kings Lyyn?
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Thanks for the replies folks :D Mrs FW has been to Kings Lynn before, but Ive never been over Norfolk way.
Too much walking in Bristol and Bath so we've settled for Kings Lynn and the Dukes Head hotel in the middle of the town. A day trip out to Norwich. Spot of widow shopping and an hour or so in the cathedral. Need to have a good browse on google "erf. Maybe even a trip on the north Norfolk railway. :D any other suggestions welcome.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ferrit worrier wrote:... Spot of widow shopping ...

No way for you celebrate your Ruby Wedding. :wink:

Have a good time - your Golden Wedding will be here in no time at all. (Every passing year goes faster.)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ferrit worrier wrote:Thanks for the replies folks :D Mrs FW has been to Kings Lynn before, but Ive never been over Norfolk way.
Too much walking in Bristol and Bath so we've settled for Kings Lynn and the Dukes Head hotel in the middle of the town. A day trip out to Norwich. Spot of widow shopping and an hour or so in the cathedral. Need to have a good browse on google "erf. Maybe even a trip on the north Norfolk railway. :D any other suggestions welcome.

Looking forward to reading your report :D

A group of teenagers at the NNR are planning to scratch-build a replica tank engine (full-size), an inspiring project, I read about it a few years ago
The narrow-gauge railway at Walsingham looks interesting too
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:whats so great about Kings Lyyn?

Lots of cycling! ;) but also lots of listed buildings and museums exploring the town's links with the Hansa (Lynn has the only two surviving English Hanseatic warehouses), King John, the Bishops and so on, plus the theatres and cinemas are interesting and there are some fine restaurants - Market Bistro, Bank House and Marriott's Warehouse, to name three of my favourites. There's 600 years of buildings visible in quite a small area, some of them museums (Red Mount Chapel, Southgates, the Old Gaol, Lynn Museum in an old chapel) but many still working buildings (the Bank House, Marriott's Warehouse, the Custom House, the Hanse House, the rail station). You can visit more of the working buildings on heritage days but I don't think there's any in March.

Plus it's still a working town, with two fishing quays, a commercial port, a good shopping area for a town of 40k (because of the large fens and coast catchment - the space between Baxter's Plain and St Dominic Square is being rebuilt at the mo) and what passes for a market on Tuesdays (still useful but a third of what it was 20 years ago). It's a real jewel of a town and there are few as good. OTTOMH, maybe Wells in Somerset is the nearest better small town I've visited... Stamford maybe has the history but not the services.

And if you tire of the town, it's the centre of the borough's transport network, with the coast and city buses continuing well into the evening (even if the village ones no longer do... grmbl).

Norwich is lovely (I lived there for years) but its centre is bigger, hillier and IMO it hasn't harnessed its history as well as Lynn.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I looked at Bath for a short stay a year or so ago and decided that accommodation was so rip-off expensive compared to other places that I would instead take my family and our money somewhere else. Anywhere else, in fact.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

My sons treated us a two day stay in a guest house in Bath towards the end of the month.
I have no idea of the cost but will report back on the accommodation and “things to do” if you’re interested.
I have trouble with hills too so you may be interested to know how I cope.
Beauty will save the world.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Vetus Ossa wrote:My sons treated us a two day stay in a guest house in Bath towards the end of the month.
I have no idea of the cost but will report back on the accommodation and “things to do” if you’re interested.
I have trouble with hills too so you may be interested to know how I cope.

The city centre is not especially hilly, but some of the accommodation is on steep hills.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

thirdcrank wrote:
ferrit worrier wrote:... Spot of widow shopping ...

No way for you celebrate your Ruby Wedding. :wink:

Have a good time - your Golden Wedding will be here in no time at all. (Every passing year goes faster.)

Cheers TC

You haven't seen Mrs FW window shopping :lol: :lol: :lol:

your certainly right about the passing of time, cant believe how quick the last 12 months have flown by :cry:

Malc