Rubick's Cube.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Rubick's Cube.

Post by Mick F »

Here's the instructions I've written down .................. if anyone wants to do it!
It's not 100% the way I remember it, but it works just about the same way.
Minus signs mean anticlockwise.

First Slice

Firstly, make a cross, correctly positioned.
Next, get the corners of the first slice in position and correctly orientated to complete the whole face.

No instructions for this slice. Just do it to get to know the cube.

Middle Slice

Make the first slice the bottom where it will remain for the rest of the cube.

Note that some or all of middle slice corners will be incorrect. Also check that one, more or all of the middle pieces in the top slice should actually be in the middle slice. These are the ones to aim at.

Pick any one of the four side faces to be the front face.
Rotate the top slice to put one of these top middle pieces so that it is on the right face.

Do this move. (minus sign means anticlockwise)

U- F- U F U R U- R-

Repeat, until the whole of the middle slice is correct. It could be that the piece will go in the wrong way round, but do the move again to take it back out. Repeat again to put it back in the correct way round.

Top Slice (part 1)

Get a cross on the top. Pick any face you want for the front, and do this move.

F U R U- R- F-

If you get a straight line, put it horizontally. Repeat the move.
If you get two correct, put them at the back left. Repeat the move.

Top Slice (part 2)

Get the top cross in the correct positions.

To swap the front and the left do this move:

R U R- U R U2 R- U

You need to orientate the top cross so that the front and left pieces are in the right place to swap. You may need to do this more than once.

Top Slice (part3)

Get the four top corners into the correct place. Don’t worry about their orientation.

Find a corner in the correct place and rotate the whole cube so it’s on the front right.
If no corner is in the right place, do the move anyway so that one is correct.

Do this move:

U R U- L- U R- U- L

You may have to do this more than once.

Top Slice (last part)

Hold the cube so that the top right corner is incorrect.
At this point, there could be one, or two corners actually correct, but turn the whole cube so that one of the incorrect ones is top right.

Do this move twice ……….. then another twice if required to get the chosen corner correct.

R- D- R D

Do not worry if the cube looks very messed up after this sequence. You MUST hold the cube exactly as it was despite feeling that it’s wrong.

Rotate the top slice - holding the cube still - to put another incorrectly orientated corner at top right, and do the above move again twice ………… and another twice if required.

Repeat for all the incorrectly orientated corners.

The cube will only be non-messed up when all four corners are correct.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
So you taught yourself the solution........................

I wonder how many did and did not receive tuition?

I like solving puzzles and admit I never lasted long on the cube.

But I liked the Wooden Chinese Puzzles even if it just a advanced lego :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I never understood why people wanted to unravel those I have better things to do with my time :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

.......But I liked the Wooden Chinese Puzzles even if it just a advanced lego :)

And the 'bent nail' ones too I like having competitions with some of my older grandchildren.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:I never understood why people wanted to unravel those I have better things to do with my time :wink:

Sudoku for example, or nothing, that is good, just sit for a while, I think it is called meditation
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
mercalia wrote:I never understood why people wanted to unravel those I have better things to do with my time :wink:

Solving puzzles is great and I find them therapeutic.........................But going online / whatever is just cheating for me!

Not solving puzzles can take me into a dark place, but that does not mean that I will shrink from any.
Plagiarism.....................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Grandson aged10,presented me with a four each side cube last evening and couldn't even manage that :?
He then beat me at chess :?
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

reohn2 wrote:Grandson aged10,presented me with a four each side cube last evening and couldn't even manage that :?
He then beat me at chess :?

Don't you just love them :oops:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I was pretty handy at Rubik's cubes in the 80s. I was third in a competition in my school. I don't remember exactly how fast it was, but me and the second place person were pretty close, and around one minute. The first place person did it much faster, something like 29 seconds. Of course it was no where near international competition fast, but 29 seconds seemed impossibly fast to me then, and now records are like 5 seconds.

My daughter has one. she and her friends can do it, but I had a little go & couldn't remember. I'm sure I could again, if I practised.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You can do the Cube faster if you oil it. Dry, they are stiff and "clicky".

Down to a couple of minutes now and if I really tried, I could get down to a minute and a half.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:You can do the Cube faster if you oil it. Dry, they are stiff and "clicky".

Down to a couple of minutes now and if I really tried, I could get down to a minute and a half.

Or get a decent cube
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Mick F wrote:You can do the Cube faster if you oil it. Dry, they are stiff and "clicky".

Or get a decent cube

Campag?
I won't mention the S word in MickF's presence :shock: :wink:
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

All this talk of slices is making me hungry, I'm a whole meal seeded crust person. I'm putting the toaster on now. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I use(d) ruwix.com for algorithms etc.
Works well enough, I just need to learn the parity algorithms for OLL/PLL - but they are long :(
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rjb wrote:All this talk of slices is making me hungry, I'm a whole meal seeded crust person. I'm putting the toaster on now. :lol:

But can you get all the slices to match up once they've been mixed up,if so how fast?

PS,no eating any,that's cheating! :wink:
W H Auden