BBC and other fat cats Pay - more than the PM!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: BBC Pay - more than the PM!

Post by Psamathe »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I have often thought that there must be plenty of people who can look smart and read an autocue clearly who could present the news without the £500,000 price tag. We may not get "celebrity" but news is about news not the person reading it out.

On the Today programme the presenters need to think on their feet (admittedly whilst sitting), ask sensible questions and respond to good, bad or evasive answers quickly and be very well-informed about a range of issues, though of course a good deal of the content is thoroughly researched and the presenters briefed before the actual three minute segment on anything from dairy farming to sugary milkshakes to encouraging breast feeding.

However I don't think Humphrys is worth £600,000 plus and also I think he's a bit past his best. Of all the presenters he makes the most fluffs, name mistakes and often reads out the wrong time. The other day he called Michael Howard Laura Howard. Michael didn't remark upon it.

I was thinking more of the Fiona Bruces of the read from autocue TV news broadcasts - no interviewing, no background, just read an autocue for half a million £.

Ian
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Some of the highest paid are current affairs and are involved in more than one programme. That guy who used to be a newspaper editor and does a current affairs programme with portillo does a range of TV and radio shows. He also resigned one job dropping a lot of money in the hope he'd be replaced by a woman.

Point is some high paid current affairs presenters do more jobs but get compared to women for just one of their jobs for the BBC. However they are overpaid and paid more pro rata than the closest equivalent women.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well looking at his picture thats one old duffer that should be retired? £600,000 thats a horrendous sum of money and I bet the tax man dont see much of it. Very depressing that we still live in that type of world. We need a revolution French style that target all his type and also the bankers?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:well looking at his picture thats one old duffer that should be retired? £600,000 thats a horrendous sum of money and I bet the tax man dont see much of it. Very depressing that we still live in that type of world. We need a revolution French style that target all his type and also the bankers?

Indeed, ageism is still sadly rife, isn't it?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
mercalia wrote:well looking at his picture thats one old duffer that should be retired? £600,000 thats a horrendous sum of money and I bet the tax man dont see much of it. Very depressing that we still live in that type of world. We need a revolution French style that target all his type and also the bankers?

There was a time I would scoff at that statement......but for many years now I say bring it on............
You could even call it evolution but time warped.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bonefishblues wrote:

Indeed, ageism is still sadly rife, isn't it?

yes ageism morphed into cronyism
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

So i see 6 of the BBC news readers are taking a wage cut. Must be very nice to be able to do that and it not affect your life style?
I bet their wage cut will be more than most get pa? so do I congratulate them? nope.

"John Humphrys, who presents Radio 4's Today programme and Mastermind, said it was his decision to earn less.

"It's the third [pay cut] and they have been volunteered in each case," he said, explaining that things were very different from the years when presenters were "having money pretty much thrust upon us".

"There was no shortage of cash," he said. "There is a shortage of cash. And it seems to me, and I thought this before the salary disclosures last year, but the salary disclosures reinforced the idea that some of us were earning much more than others"

well that dont say much for the BBC does it? having so much extra cash they dont know what to do with it? WHen have the BBC not moaned about the licence fee needs to go up as they dont have the money to do their job? Now we know what the sub text was ?

And Chris Evans? at £2m+?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42827333
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:So i see 6 of the BBC news readers are taking a wage cut. Must be very nice to be able to do that and it not affect your life style?
I bet their wage cut will be more than most get pa? so do I congratulate them? nope.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:So i see 6 of the BBC news readers are taking a wage cut. Must be very nice to be able to do that and it not affect your life style?

Numbers are crucial. If I'm on £600,000pa and I offer to take a pay cut then I get lots of praise. But without those numbers nobody knows if my reduced pay is £599,000 or £300,000.

Smoke and mirrors.

Ian
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Psamathe wrote:Numbers are crucial. If I'm on £600,000pa and I offer to take a pay cut then I get lots of praise. But without those numbers nobody knows if my reduced pay is £599,000 or £300,000.

Smoke and mirrors.

Ian

BBC says Humphreys will get "hugely less".
Given his pay is public you'd expect it to drop him a band at least otherwise its egg on faces.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yeh just seen the named guff off on the tv, like they have agreed........................like we agree with down turns in hours and pay when necessary.

The elite are only human so why do they expect god like pay................Humphries should finally retire before he is caught yet again off mic, they the not so equal pay will want his blood.

Poaching......................right just like bankers threatening to move abroad, let them go, its called competition, you may as well go on strictly and receive 1st price, how do BBC employed enter a BBC competition....................

Maybe they should offer the diff in pay over the last 20 years to their unequal work mates or even a charity.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

kwackers wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Numbers are crucial. If I'm on £600,000pa and I offer to take a pay cut then I get lots of praise. But without those numbers nobody knows if my reduced pay is £599,000 or £300,000.

Smoke and mirrors.

Ian

Given his pay is public you'd expect it to drop him a band at least otherwise its egg on faces.

Halved, I read.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bonefishblues wrote:
kwackers wrote:

Smoke and mirrors.

Ian

Halved, I read.

I wonder if Fiona Bruce is going to be doing the same with her £500,000+ salary.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
kwackers wrote:BBC says Humphreys will get "hugely less".

Halved, I read.

I wonder if Fiona Bruce is going to be doing the same with her £500,000+ salary.

Ian

She's quite prolific isn't she - antiques, art, news, perhaps others?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Perhaps we only make them worth what they're paid?
£600k a week for playing football?
Where did we allow it to go so wrong?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden