BBC and other fat cats Pay - more than the PM!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: BBC Pay - more than the PM!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Famous newsreaders can make even more money elsewhere, after the bbc has made them famous

Reading a text faultlessly has to be learnt and practised, but I could do it, do not want to be famous so I will work on radio for half the money

Mind, I went to school in Oxford, does that disqualify me? :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bonefishblues wrote:Fiona Bruce is a Journalist in her own right. She also has a measure of celebrity which comes with her exposure on a number of programmes on the BBC.

You can say the same about her colleagues - the males ones who have taken a massive pay cut and are now on significantly less than she is. Does not sound like "equality" to me.

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do wish people would write or say 'receives GBP xyz', not 'earns..'
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Fiona Bruce is a Journalist in her own right. She also has a measure of celebrity which comes with her exposure on a number of programmes on the BBC.

You can say the same about her colleagues - the males ones who have taken a massive pay cut and are now on significantly less than she is. Does not sound like "equality" to me.

Ian

Sadly BBC pay is not transparent enough to see the stipend she receives for her work at BBC News vs the other programmes she does, similarly John H et al, so we can discuss this until we're as blue as a blue thing, but on the basis of supposition only tbh*. Unless you know differently?

*We also don't know the extent of these "massive" cuts until the new numbers come out (unless you know differently?) albeit I saw JH's being reported as "halved" and posted such on here. Nor do we know which ones are remunerated directly from the BBC, and the ones which are remunerated through intermediary companies. Anyhow, have to pop out for my fog knitting class :wink:

ETA
Lord Hall indicated that the upper cap for news is now £320K pa, assuming I heard correctly. He also admitted some errors, especially in BBC Journalism.
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 30 Jan 2018, 3:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
As a self employed person I happen to look at a unpaid, bill I paid for tax a couple of years ago.........I mentioned it before or on another post...£0.78p..............from ten years back accounts, ten years back but only presented with a bill two years ago :roll:

Seems to me after the carrilion case where they knew that money had been misdirected from pension fund (words to that effect) and waited till they went bust, the HMRC are not fit for purpose as they have also made recommendations (85 persons IIRC) on BBC so called employees, that they are employees in fact and should be paid as such.

Its all after the horse has bolted...............will HMRC actually ask now for all that unpaid NI & Tax..................fat chance......but if its paid who will pay and from what account...targeting an immovable organisation will be easier than tracking down someone on holliday for some time in another country.

On a good note err indoors asking what I want for Xmas and Birthday......do you want a new bike.............now a back tax landed on the carpet the other day, more than enough if I still want one :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:..... the HMRC are not fit for purpose as they have also made recommendations (85 persons IIRC) on BBC so called employees, that they are employees in fact and should be paid as such......

I seem to remember many years ago HMRC targeted computer/IT contractors who only ever worked for one company. IR45 or IR35 rings a bell. Seem to remember that they went after this group quite aggressively (my brother was contracting to a single company at the time so was affected). Though this was quite a few years ago so regs have probably changed.

Banks used to do it a lot, use contractors (thus off their own books), contractors would setup their own company (just them alone), they'd then award themselves min wage, save on the NI and get most of their pay through dividends. Never did it myself so not sure of the details but it was lucrative and certainly quite a few of those I did know doing it only ever worked for the same bank full time (i.e. on an ongoing basis for many years, no other "contracts").

I assume
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:..... the HMRC are not fit for purpose as they have also made recommendations (85 persons IIRC) on BBC so called employees, that they are employees in fact and should be paid as such......

I seem to remember many years ago HMRC targeted computer/IT contractors who only ever worked for one company. IR45 or IR35 rings a bell. Seem to remember that they went after this group quite aggressively (my brother was contracting to a single company at the time so was affected). Though this was quite a few years ago so regs have probably changed.

Banks used to do it a lot, use contractors (thus off their own books), contractors would setup their own company (just them alone), they'd then award themselves min wage, save on the NI and get most of their pay through dividends. Never did it myself so not sure of the details but it was lucrative and certainly quite a few of those I did know doing it only ever worked for the same bank full time (i.e. on an ongoing basis for many years, no other "contracts").

I assume

IR35. Now in operation in the Public Sector as a very blunt instrument, often in place when it has no need to be, and as a result is constraining the supply of good contractors, who won't work on a PAYE basis. Much talk about extension to the private sector, but no real active moves as yet.

To be clear though, there is abuse of the status of self employment, when an individual is, to all intents and purposes, an employee. Trouble is, the approach has been the bluntest of instruments, as I mentioned earlier.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Forming a company to save tax is a normal dodge, one employs a good tax lawyer, he finds a way even when loopholes have been closed, he finds another way to 'avoid' tax
I once had a well-paid job, I was pleased and proud that nearly half my wages were deducted to pay for health care, children &c :wink:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Forming a company to save tax is a normal dodge, one employs a good tax lawyer, he finds a way even when loopholes have been closed, he finds another way to 'avoid' tax
I once had a well-paid job, I was pleased and proud that nearly half my wages were deducted to pay for health care, children &c :wink:

OTOH there are no benefits, no sick pay, no holiday pay, no job security as a result of what you crudely term a "dodge".

Tax is still payable btw, it's not some kind of panacea, but at a reduced rate commensurate with the lack of that which an employee benefits from.

To be clear, I am not condoning their use when manifestly it's not the case, but like many things associated with HMRC, it hasn't been particularly well applied, with the public sector adopting what is an overly cautious approach, and which it's finding counterproductive (or in some cases having to increase salaries to way, way above market rate to secure talent necessary to deliver its objectives).
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 30 Jan 2018, 9:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Latest Lord Hall has said that today -
Many news readers have been over paid.
He wishes to make BBC totally transparent with equal pay men and women.

IIRC, also that news readers aren't so sought after now so don't need to be paid so much......................

I once worked out that on a certain hourly rate I needed 1.6 times the same rate as an employee...........................employee said I wouldn't mind my rate...........boss said you can if you want self employed..................would of been a bad move and he decided to stay with the cushy number till he retires on his company pension.

I was not getting value at all I was not being paid 1.6 times the employee rate because I was being under paid for the work I was doing.............I was being paid a fitters rate to start with, with only 50 % on top.

On that pay I had to do many skilled things including designing and making proto types........I worked alone mostly and was left to just do what was necessary, easy for me.

Apart from the money no other benefits were coming my way.......consequently I was also taxed at a higher rate over all.

You would have to be self employed sole trader for 30 years like me to understand.

Many organisations describe job on " A Self Employed Basis" but this only really suits someone who has retired and is financially comfortable so gets penny money for keeping busy by working at what is in practice less than minimum wage.
Or you can form a ltd company and employ yourself like BBC jobs for the boys do.

Any one considering going self employed do you sums correctly or simply charge twice the employed rate to be safe you will not suffer.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so Gracie has her chance to grunt ( sorry rant ) :lol:

she wants to have the right to be as greedy as the greediest male.

Carrie Gracie tells MPs of BBC pay 'insult'

old aunt beebe had a farm ei ei o
and on this farm she had some pigs ei ei 0
with a grunt-grunt here and and a grunt -grunt there
here-a-grunt, there-a-grunt, every where a grunt-grunt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42885693
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:so Gracie has her chance to grunt ( sorry rant ) :lol:

she wants to have the right to be as greedy as the greediest male.

Carrie Gracie tells MPs of BBC pay 'insult'

and on this farm she had some pigs ei ei 0
with a grunt-grunt here and and a grunt -grunt there
here-a-grunt, there-a-grunt, every where a grunt-grunt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42885693

Wonder if that's the same Carrie Gracie who turned down £100,000 back pay?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Well hall admits she was underpaid.....................whats he a lord in...................he has been forced to come true.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well one ex BBC News Reader ( who I have never heard of ) is getting her come uppance from HMRC

"BBC Look North presenter Christa Ackroyd facing tax bill of £420k"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43074584

Thats a lot of dosh the state sorely needs?

I hope HMRC goes after the rest of them using those so callled personal service companies

it seems that another 100 are being investigated :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

it seems she was fired when the HMRC challenged her status -

"She was fired by the BBC in 2013 over an alleged contract breach after HMRC demanded unpaid taxes because it said she was, in reality, an employee of the BBC and not allowed the tax breaks."

well does that mean the other 100 so will be in breach of contract and fired - I hope so. get rid of these greedy people and end the culture once and for all.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/15/hmrc-wins-tax-case-against-bbc-presenter?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=264253&subid=23601318&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2