BBC and other fat cats Pay - more than the PM!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: BBC Pay - more than the PM!

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Halved, I read.

I wonder if Fiona Bruce is going to be doing the same with her £500,000+ salary.

Ian

She's quite prolific isn't she - antiques, art, news, perhaps others?

maybe but still only 24 hrs in a day and 7 days in a week. maybe if she is working 12 hrs a day 7 days a week then maybe? I bet she aint though. What we are seeing is the arrogance of elites who think they are better than thou, unfortunatley our world encourages that. but there is hope now people are better educated, non deferential and better informed? Maybe in 50-100 years these kind of people will be as dead as a dodo, extinct, well I can dream, look at the progress made since 1918? The sad thing in this case was not a matter of values but one of these greedy people thinking she should be as greedy as the most greedy? so I really have no sympathy for her at all - they are all as bad as one another and a plague on all their houses
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I wonder if Fiona Bruce is going to be doing the same with her £500,000+ salary.

Ian

She's quite prolific isn't she - antiques, art, news, perhaps others?

maybe but still only 24 hrs in a day and 7 days in a week. maybe if she is working 12 hrs a day 7 days a week then maybe? I bet she aint though. What we are seeing is the arrogance of elites who think they are better than thou, unfortunatley our world encourages that. but there is hope now people are better educated, non deferential and better informed? Maybe in 50-100 years these kind of people will be as dead as a dodo, extinct, well I can dream, look at the progress made since 1918? The sad thing in this case was not a matter of values but one of these greedy people thinking she should be as greedy as the most greedy? so I really have no sympathy for her at all - they are all as bad as one another and a plague on all their houses

John H is on record as saying that "the money kept coming" that is, they weren't asking for these payments, which is simply bizarre.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If someone asked me to work for £500k per annum I think I maayyy consider coming out of retirement for a couple of years,I don't know what anyone else thinks.......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think Fiona should feel very nervous :wink:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:If someone asked me to work for £500k per annum I think I maayyy consider coming out of retirement for a couple of years,I don't know what anyone else thinks.......

why 2 years? even 1 year would be enough (as long as you dont want to buy a yacht or a 2nd home )
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bonefishblues wrote:I think Fiona should feel very nervous :wink:

yep cat fights can be fun to watch :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:If someone asked me to work for £500k per annum I think I maayyy consider coming out of retirement for a couple of years,I don't know what anyone else thinks.......

why 2 years? even 1 year would be enough (as long as you dont want to buy a yacht or a 2nd home )

I could give you half,I'm generous like that :wink:
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

reohn2 wrote:Perhaps we only make them worth what they're paid?
£600k a week for playing football?
Where did we allow it to go so wrong?

We didn't. That money comes from the revenue the football clubs generate. None of it from me, I stopped contributing when Sugar said Spurs was just like any other business and selling tickets, not winning trophies, was the purpose of his ownership. He was probably right, but if I wanted to watch business progression I'd follow the stock exchange rather than a sports club.
I'm not that concerned by what anyone else earns, I'm not going to be paid any more if Jeremy Vine works for minimum wage. I'm far more concerned that the tax system is fair and that the loopholes that allow so much avoidance are closed. Redistribution of wealth is just that.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:

We didn't. That money comes from the revenue the football clubs generate. None of it from me, I stopped contributing when Sugar said Spurs was just like any other business and selling tickets, not winning trophies, was the purpose of his ownership. He was probably right, but if I wanted to watch business progression I'd follow the stock exchange rather than a sports club.
I'm not that concerned by what anyone else earns, I'm not going to be paid any more if Jeremy Vine works for minimum wage. I'm far more concerned that the tax system is fair and that the loopholes that allow so much avoidance are closed. Redistribution of wealth is just that.

I agree about the tax,for many it's a matter of how much of it you avoid paying whether legally or illegally,The rich have the government on their side,and yes the loopholes are deliberately contrived for the more affluent's benefit.
IMO we as society all in some small way contribute to crazy unrealistic salaries,if only by watching TV or football matches,excluding MickF of course :wink:.
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
PH wrote:

I agree about the tax,for many it's a matter of how much of it you avoid paying whether legally or illegally,The rich have the government on their side,and yes the loopholes are deliberately contrived for the more affluent's benefit.
IMO we as society all in some small way contribute to crazy unrealistic salaries,if only by watching TV or football matches,excluding MickF of course :wink:.

and me as I dont watch tv or football. and football on tv is the pits :twisted:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote: and me as I dont watch tv or football. and football on tv is the pits :twisted:

I'll like to bet you willing or unwillingly do,even though you don't watch tv or football.
Don't ask me how as the ways are myriad and can be subliminal.
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote: and me as I dont watch tv or football. and football on tv is the pits :twisted:

I'll like to bet you willing or unwillingly do,even though you don't watch tv or football.

eh?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Don't ask me how.. .

eh?

I will ask you how, I require that you justify your assertion! :wink: :?
Tottenham Hotspur plays at Wembley Stadium, I imagine that holy of holies has received public money, likewise many clubs have new stadia, Derby sadly longer plays at the "Baseball Ground", lots of valuable land has become available
What was built there instead?

I think football is not so bad, a few centuries ago towns waged war on each other instead
Now the most dangerous thing is "laser-guided comment for a nation of sports fanatics" (talksport) :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

eh?

Sorry my bad.
What I meant was that you do subsidise the high salaries of tv,football and celebrity stars,among many others who I wouldn't pay with the holes out of the middle of washers.
Advertising and celebrity status is ingrained into everyday life to sell much stuff.As case in point Boardman bikes,but there are many,many overt and subliminal ways of advertising where the big bucks celebs are collecting ££££'s for the slightest hint of their approval.
We live in a celebrity status worshipping world,sad but true,the celebs know it and the companies create and recreate it.

EDIT:- As for men taking a pay cut,shouldn't it be women's pay being brought up to the mens pay standards for the same job done?
W H Auden