BBC and other fat cats Pay - more than the PM!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

BBC and other fat cats Pay - more than the PM!

Post by mercalia »

A rather shocking report on how much "top" people are paid in the BBC -
The report is really about the gross gender inequality but it mentions male examples

"US editor Jon Sopel earned £200,000-£249,999, it was revealed, while Middle East editor Jeremy Bowen earned £150,000-£199,999.

and I bet is is paid in such a way they actually get it all. This reinforces my decision to refuse to fund the BBC thru the licence fee

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42598775
Last edited by mercalia on 10 Apr 2018, 1:03am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Re: BBC Pay - more than the PM!

Post by reohn2 »

Dejavu again :?
You've got this thing about the BBC haven't you :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have too, scrap it.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/ ... odging-tax

Many So Called freelance working for BBC sit in the same chair every day year in year out using BBC's resources which makes them an employee.

Genuine freelancer would need to bring their own tools and computer...............

When I started as a freelancer I put my name in the press and waited for the calls.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

You wouldn’t complain if you were earning £250k per annum....
PH

Post by PH »

Do you know what comparable jobs in the commercial world pay? That’s where they’d be going if you sacked them all, I doubt many of them are considering a career in politics.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:Dejavu again :?

well their sidekicks hassle me over not haveing a tv license, with their threatening letters
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PH wrote:Do you know what comparable jobs in the commercial world pay? That’s where they’d be going if you sacked them all, I doubt many of them are considering a career in politics.

well the quality of 95% of what the bbc makes is so low they aint worth it
pwa

Post by pwa »

mercalia wrote:
PH wrote:Do you know what comparable jobs in the commercial world pay? That’s where they’d be going if you sacked them all, I doubt many of them are considering a career in politics.

So just carry on not buying a licence and don't watch or listen to their output. Case solved. :D
PH

Post by PH »

mercalia wrote:

Well the quality of the last couple of PMs haven’t been worth much either.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I have too, scrap it......

Me too. If it was not in effect paid for by compulsory taxation then they can pay themselves whatever they want - just as I would have no opinion as to what ITV chose to pay their staff. But when I am forced to subscribe then I can consider them a public service and thus form opinions as to what they should be paid. And these massive salaries don't seem to get very good people e.g. George Entwistle, Director General for 54 days after which he quit and got a £450k pay-off (most people resigning their job just leave without any "pay-off").

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:
mercalia wrote:

So just carry on not buying a licence and don't watch or listen to their output. Case solved. :D

+1.
It's like a vegetarian complaining about the price of beef :wink:
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Don't be daft, I bet he's watching online through iplayer. He's a subscriber of BBC products one way I reckon or his would he know their product is so poor? He's just not paying for it. Is that right?

No pay, no say! :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I have too, scrap it......

Me too. If it was not in effect paid for by compulsory taxation then they can pay themselves whatever they want - just as I would have no opinion as to what ITV chose to pay their staff. But when I am forced to subscribe then I can consider them a public service and thus form opinions as to what they should be paid. And these massive salaries don't seem to get very good people e.g. George Entwistle, Director General for 54 days after which he quit and got a £450k pay-off (most people resigning their job just leave without any "pay-off").

Ian

You do have a choice though.
Personally for what I use it for the BBC is worth it for £2.80 a week YVMV.
W H Auden
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Psamathe wrote:George Entwistle, Director General for 54 days after which he quit and got a £450k pay-off (most people resigning their job just leave without any "pay-off").

This practice common across the board for "senior manager/directors" should be made illegal. Your common or garden worker gets sacked and given a P45, these individuals are made to "step down"( resign ) and get a termination payment. I've seen a lot of that and in a company that was losing £6million per year saw one individual walk out with a £650k package( termination payment, pension contributions and stock compensation ). So he was responsible for the catastrophic losses that cost the workforce their job's but he stepped down with a very nice earner.

It'll never be made illegal though as they all scratch each others backs at the level of law making. Also we get the BS spouted all of the time about "well without these agreements we'll not attract the best candidates for the job" :roll: . The best people are those doing the job not out of self interest, few and far between I feel.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

old_windbag wrote:This practice common across the board for "senior manager/directors" should be made illegal.

I'm not sure how they could be made illegal.
The reason they get the payoffs is not because someone thought it was a good idea, but because they got it written into the contract.
The issue is with whoever signed off on the contract.

In the past I've negotiated contractual 'additions' before starting a job - unfortunately nothing like a payoff though.