BBC and other fat cats Pay - more than the PM!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Re: BBC Pay - more than the PM!

Post by pwa »

In the specific case of BBC presenters, I'm not too happy about the idea of female presenters being brought up to the pay level of vastly overpaid male presenters. Bring the male pay down. No news presenter is worth £600,000 a year. And as for Chris Evans, if we give him a bit more, will he go away?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pwa wrote:In the specific case of BBC presenters, I'm not too happy about the idea of female presenters being brought up to the pay level of vastly overpaid male presenters. Bring the male pay down. No news presenter is worth £600,000 a year. And as for Chris Evans, if we give him a bit more, will he go away?

your wish is my command - thats whats happening
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:In the specific case of BBC presenters, I'm not too happy about the idea of female presenters being brought up to the pay level of vastly overpaid male presenters. Bring the male pay down. No news presenter is worth £600,000 a year. And as for Chris Evans, if we give him a bit more, will he go away?

Equal pay doesn't just apply to overpaid over rated celebs and sports personalities,but to all walks of life.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote:

Equal pay doesn't just apply to overpaid over rated celebs and sports personalities,but to all walks of life.

In the case of the BBC I'm beginning to wonder if it really is about "equal pay". And it's Fiona Bruce who is really making me wonder (the self declared "feminist"). Her male colleagues have taken apparently a significant pay cut (somebody mentioned half) and yet Fiona (who I'd expect to be all in favour of "equality") is quite happy to now be dramatically higher than her male colleagues. To me, equality is about being equal NOT about "having more".

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

In the case of the BBC I'm beginning to wonder if it really is about "equal pay". And it's Fiona Bruce who is really making me wonder (the self declared "feminist"). Her male colleagues have taken apparently a significant pay cut (somebody mentioned half) and yet Fiona (who I'd expect to be all in favour of "equality") is quite happy to now be dramatically higher than her male colleagues. To me, equality is about being equal NOT about "having more".

Ian

I haven't followed the story closely enough to know what Fiona Bruce is earning other than what Ive read on this thread (and TBH missed that post),but thinking about it you could be right.
EDIT, though if Carrie Grace hadn't resigned as China correspondent the BBC wouldn't have run with the story and it all wouldn't have hit the fan,and the corporation wouldn't be saving a fortune,words like manufactured spring to mind,nah... ...I have a cynical mind....
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

]
reohn2 wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Equal pay doesn't just apply to overpaid over rated celebs and sports personalities,but to all walks of life.

Ian

I haven't followed the story closely enough to know what Fiona Bruce is earning other than what Ive read on this thread (and TBH missed that post),but thinking about it you could be right.
EDIT, though if Carrie Grace hadn't resigned as China correspondent the BBC wouldn't have run with the story

Bbc reporting on itself again
Are other opinions available?
Grauniad, daily mail maybe :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Bbc reporting on itself again

The cat got out the bag a few weeks ago when the top salaries at the BBC were revealed,then everyone knew what the score was,including Mrs Grace,she threw the brown stuff at the fan and everyone got some on them,make of that what you will,but the end result is more equality :wink:
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:

The cat got out the bag a few weeks ago when the top salaries at the BBC were revealed,then everyone knew what the score was,including Mrs Grace,she threw the brown stuff at the fan and everyone got some on them,make of that what you will,but the end result is more equality :wink:

well it means a bit more cash for tv programmes? hmm I bet it will just vanish some where? mayb a new culture needs to develop less about cash more its an honour to work for the BBC, doing a job they enjoy and produce programmes for the country - oh that would be a dangerous slippery slope dont you think: the end of celebrity pay?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

well it means a bit more cash for tv programmes? hmm I bet it will just vanish some where? mayb a new culture needs to develop less about cash more its an honour to work for the BBC, doing a job they enjoy and produce programmes for the country - oh that would be a dangerous slippery slope dont you think: the end of celebrity pay?

I agree I'd like to see more spending on more quality programs,obviously celebrity pay is robbing that spending but OTOH people at the bottom of the pile within to BBC need better pay seem to remember reading recently.
Also those claiming not to own a tv yet taking advantage of the BBC's services should contribute too IMO.
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The cat got out the bag a few weeks ago when the top salaries at the BBC were revealed,then everyone knew what the score was,including Mrs Grace,she threw the brown stuff at the fan and everyone got some on them,make of that what you will,but the end result is more equality :wink:

I agree I'd like to see more spending on more quality programs,obviously celebrity pay is robbing that spending but OTOH people at the bottom of the pile within to BBC need better pay seem to remember reading recently.
Also those claiming not to own a tv yet taking advantage of the BBC's services should contribute too IMO.

once upon a time here was a radio licence but then every one realised they couldnt detect some one using a radio so it was ended? thats the trouble, you cant get people to pay for some thing if there is no way to detect them? I would only be willing to pay for the BBC news website. Thats all I use these days - not even bbc radio
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Local BBC disc jockey, admits to having a very privileged childhood in France visiting museums.

Worked as a news reader for many years ITV, ben with BBC for some time now maybe 10 - 15 years or more, calls himself "Freelance"
But turns up same time each day, maybe his name is his Firm Name, but not an employee despite 30 plus years working for two firms.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Report today
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jan/30/bbc-pay-review-claims-no-evidence-of-gender-bias wrote:BBC pay review claims 'no evidence of gender bias'
A review of on-air pay at the BBC has claimed there is “no evidence” of gender bias in pay decisions at the broadcaster, despite the equality row that has rocked the organisation since last summer.

Accountancy firm PwC, which produced the report, criticised the corporation over “anomalies” in its decision-making that had created issues, including a “lack of clarity and openness”.

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I heard that pay for full-time newsreaders will be levelled down to GBP 320 000
Wonder how many will be poached by commercial stations paying more :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I heard that pay for full-time newsreaders will be levelled down to GBP 320 000
Wonder how many will be poached by commercial stations paying more :wink:

Yet Fiona Bruce (currently on significantly more than this and significantly more than her male colleagues) has not volunteered to take any pay cut.

I recon there are load and loads of people who can look smart and read an autocue in a clear voice. Go to any arts college and you'd be inundated with suitable people who would not even be expecting a tenth of the new "levelled down" pay. We don't need celebrities to read a pre-scripted news report ....

Does anybody watch the news because Fiona Bruce or John Humphries or Huw Edwards is appearing today. They watch the news to hear what is going on in the world.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Fiona Bruce is a Journalist in her own right. She also has a measure of celebrity which comes with her exposure on a number of programmes on the BBC.