Noise Limiting Ear Plugs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Noise Limiting Ear Plugs

Post by Mick F »

Wanted:
Ear plugs that fit my small ears.
I've tried the spongy rubber things, but they just fall out.

Any recommendations?
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Re: Noise Limiting Ear Plugs

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I got some *headphone* type ear protection from work, it is quite good, fits over the ears, looks good too
The little plugs to stick in ones ears keep falling out, they are not FFP, fit for purpose
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 9 Jan 2018, 2:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

get some wax ones - they work better than other types any way as the body heat means they mould to the ear canal shape. A necessity if you use t he YHA

eg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noise-X-Wax-Ear-Plugs-6-Pairs-Mouldable-Cotton-Covered-FREE-POST/222590982497?epid=1205150015&hash=item33d374d961:g:KQIAAOSwn-lZdMj3
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I got some *headphone* type ear protection from work, it is quite good
This sort of thing?
Ear duffs?
ae235.jpeg
ae235.jpeg (9.56 KiB) Viewed 695 times

I have a pair of those. I wanted something a bit more discreet.

Wax ones eh?
Do they come in different sizes?
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There are the type that fit into the ear like sponge ones do but have a loop that goes around the back of the neck to hold them in place:-
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=inser ... 3dkm73tcKM:
Scroll down for more examples
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Or silicone mouldable swimming ones (though bein designed for swimming, unsure how effective they would be against noise). But they are a bit like blobs of putty but in silicone and designed to be put in your ear (i.e. material such that bits don't break off and get stuck in yoru ear!).

If you can find them I can turn out a link.

I have some somewhere (got before a kayak rolling course but never used), so I know of them but don't know about how effective they are.

Ian
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I have small ear canals and cannot keep foam plugs in place, as an aside I cannot use ear bud headphones for the same reason. I tried wax ones but with no success. The Silicon ones are marginally better but collect dirt. For some years now I've been using 3M push in https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-X-Pairs-E- ... .l4275.c10 which I can "screw" into place and they stay put all night. The down side I that after a few nights my ears get sore. For short trem use I doubt you will notice. I have recently invested £100 in custom fit earplugs from a hearing aid shop. They are not as effective as the 3M push in, but a heck of a lot more comfortable. Perhaps they will prove adequate on my next camping trip, but I will take some 3M just in case.
PH

Post by PH »

We have a similar subject running in the YHA thread, my recommendation there is to get a sample pack which most suppliers offer...
Different people will like different ones, I'm currently using some 3M foam ones that are not perfect but a comfortable fit. I'd recommend you get a sample pack, most suppliers do them. I always have some when sleeping away from home, not just hostels, campsites and hotels can have enough background noise to keep me awake.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

The best ones are those that come with certification from National Husband Authority. They are designed to protect the wearer from the audible and mental damage of a nagging wife. They are of a higher rating than industrial products :wink: .

On a serious note I use good old peltor ones like these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peltor-H540A-411-SV-Optime-Muffs-Headband/dp/B000VDX18E?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duc08-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000VDX18E but in dark green. Not discrete but low cost and work well.

I never got on with the yellow plug type ones nor the hang round neck type but nor do I get on with earbuds for mp3 etc. Over ear for myself.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Having worked in a power station for 30 years, i found the foam earplugs supplied were the best ones. There is a knack to using them which involves rolling them between your fingers then quickly inserting them inside your ear canal, using your other hand over your head to pull the ear up helps, you can feel them going down the canal, hold them in place until they swell up. I have enough pairs to see me out, and i can sleep with them in without a problem. Very useful if you have to spend any time in Hospital or are staying near a busy road.
they were branded Howard Leigh hearing protection Max.

Heres how to put them in properly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QZ7o9KAH4I

i have seen them sold in individual pairs on the high street - just cant remember where, maybe boots, wilcos, superdrug etc maybe even the pound shops. :wink:
also available on amazon. You can reuse them for a short while but dont wash them as they then loose there squashing ability and then you cant compress them enough to get them inserted. :(

At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My daughter's Indie Rock Band is very loud she wears Musicians Ear Plugs on stage which are custom made to fit her ears. Similar to these. https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/heari ... /erme.html

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

All sorts of earplugs available at The Snorestore https://www.snorestore.co.uk/
Think they do a sample pack so you can try different types.

I use these https://www.snorestore.co.uk/acatalog/e ... tml#SID=25 they work well if you get them right into your ear canal, but can also hurt a bit when new.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thank you everyone for you replies.
I knew this forum would come up with answers! :D
Off out shortly, but I've read all the replies and clicked on all the links. I'll get back to you all tomorrow.

Meanwhile, a bit of background information .......
I'm a bit autistic, as some of you know, and noise and lights and busy venues upset me, and has become worse for me over the past few years. If we go to the theatre or busy pubs or music venues, I can't hack it. New Year's Eve was terrible for me and spent the later part of the evening outside in the pub garden. Given the choice, I'd have been tucked up in bed by 21:30, but social life dictates that I should have been "enjoying myself", so I try.

Went to the panto at Plymouth Theatre Royal on Sunday, and I took my sunglasses and had to stick my fingers in my ears every now and again. Bright lights and loud noises ........ both are becoming intolerable these days.

Discreet ear plugs would help a great deal.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I got :wink: some *headphone* type ear protection from work, it is quite good
This sort of thing?
Ear duffs?
ae235.jpeg
I have a pair of those. I wanted something a bit more discreet.

Wax ones eh?
Do they come in different sizes?

Yes like those, I think they make me look important like a pilot or a DJ :wink:
One could stuff the earpieces to keep the noise out even better
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The best ones are to be found in shooting shops. There's a brand based on a bird that's rated; falcon, eagle, etc. I believe it's available in different sizes and are mouldable. Anyway whatever the brand shooting shops will have a selection.