Do we really want an Emotional, Gay, Muslim Armed Forces ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: Do we really want an Emotional, Gay, Muslim Armed Forces ?

Post by Tangled Metal »

reohn2 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:All wars are political. There's not been an apolitical war in the history of this sceptred Isle.

Not when the country is threatened,then it's a case of protection of the country.
Thats not political thats survival of the nation.

I disagree. Why was the country threatened? There will be a political reason behind the threat and as a result if it goes to war it means it's a political war.

I suppose you could change political for religious or nationalism. I prefer to think that the use of religion or nationalism as a basis for war is a form of politics too.

I should point out that I view nations as a political idea.
Last edited by Tangled Metal on 12 Jan 2018, 2:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:All wars are political. There's not been an apolitical war in the history of this sceptred Isle.

Not when the country is threatened,then it's a case of protection of the country.
Thats not political thats survival of the nation.

I disagree. Why was the country threatened? There will be a political reason behind the threat and as a result if it goes to war it means it's a political war.

I suppose you could change political for religious or nationalism. I prefer to think that the use of religion or nationalism as a basis for war is a form of politics too.

I'm not getting into the petty squabbling again with you,it's a pointless exercise I have no wish to join in with, thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

In Germany even the War Minister is female, she has seven children :)

Her boys just caused a bit of trouble with their War Games, they fired missiles into a dry peat bog which is now smouldering and creating lots of smoke, it will have to be watched for months
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The fortunes of War, and i'l feel the plain

Are a wooden leg or a Golden Chain
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

There is a massive misconception that people join the Armed Services to Kill people.

Many join because it is an option to train, get a trade and better oneself, with opportunities unavailable elsewhere

Perhaps why there tends to be an over representation ion people from deprived areas
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:There is a massive misconception that people join the Armed Services to Kill people.

Many join because it is an option to train, get a trade and better oneself, with opportunities unavailable elsewhere

Perhaps why there tends to be an over representation ion people from deprived areas

Except in the upper echelons of course :?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cunobelin wrote:There is a massive misconception that people join the Armed Services to Kill people.

I joined the RN because my dad said it would be good for me.

Joining up in the late 60's the only people fighting were the Army. The rest of the forces were involved in the Cold War and heavily involved in it too. We in the surface ships RN expected to be obliterated but at least show willing and do our best holding off massively overwhelming USSR fleet, knowing we wouldn't hold out for long.

It came as a massive shock to me, that my weapon system gunnery was killing many many many Argentinians ashore at maximum range night after night after night after night.

I will never get over it.
I didn't join up to kill people.
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Mick, they where killing us ,,, they killed John and Tim .... we cried and fought back ...
We fired at them because they fired at us ...
I was not fighting for Maggie .. i was fighting for me ...
You may have saved my life, and Duncans, and Phils and Isloynes, and many more of us who would not be here, posting on this forum ..
I may have met you in June only because your actions saved me ..... think of that Mick.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

You would be surprised how many "Officer Class" join because they are a "junior offspring" and need a career... it used to be Army or Clergy
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I joined in 1976 and served through both the Falklands and the first Gulf War

If drafted, then you went, but we had a couple of "Gung Ho" guys who were demanding to be sent "down South", so we let them go.

I suppose being a "Scablifter" did offer a level of immunity form direct action, but you are still part of the Service as a whole
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Don't forget that they've recently been caught out specifically recruiting from said deprived areas.

At least we don't still have the king's shilling and all that - "Congratulations, you've joined the Navy!" "What? Er, but..."
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

brooksby wrote:

Don't forget that they've recently been caught out specifically recruiting from said deprived areas.

At least we don't still have the king's shilling and all that - "Congratulations, you've joined the Navy!" "What? Er, but..."

But one still has to sign up for many years
We have a few retired servicepersons on here, cannae remember reading posts from any serving people, are there any?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:

I joined the RN because my dad said it would be good for me.

Did you think about it, what else might you have done? For how many years did you sign on to start?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

You would be surprised how many "Officer Class" join because they are a "junior offspring" and need a career... it used to be Army or Clergy

In Ireland back then, the oldest lad got the farm
For the others the choice was emigration to America or the church :?
I guess things are better now
We have some ex-servicepersons here, do we have any clergy?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Except in the upper echelons of course :?

In Ireland back then, the oldest lad got the farm
For the others the choice was emigration to America or the church :?
I guess things are better now
We have some ex-servicepersons here, do we have any clergy?

I pray you get an answer