Latest Windows updates to deal with the (Intel) Speculative Execution issue

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Latest Windows updates to deal with the (Intel) Speculative Execution issue

Post by mercalia »

It seems like Microsoft sent their patch out on Tuesday

well it was reported that it might slow down computers by as much as 30%. Well I can say it has completely broken my Blu Ray ripper - where a blu ray disc would take just 20 minutes or so to rip using Nvidea CUDA capabilities of my video card now takes 2 hrs+ on Windows 8.1 So I would suggest for Windows 7 and 8.1 users to make a backup image before you update or you might regret it. Windows 10 users, you are completely confounded ( hmm not my word has been edited, I used some thing stronger), as you have no choice :? :evil: :cry:
Last edited by mercalia on 11 Jan 2018, 10:01am, edited 3 times in total.
boblo

Re: Latest Windows updates to deal with the (Intel) Speculative Execution issue

Post by boblo »

It kippered my WiFi connection. Had to spend 20 mins fiddling around to get it going again. :?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I have seen server cpu-time graphs which normallly look like shallow sine wave - the peaks are about 4pm and the troughs 4am. When the patch is applied there is a cliff like vertical jump by a factor of 3x in cpu useage due to the patch and the cpu having to work harder, Its seems this issue has been known for 25 YEARS ( 1992 ) but ignored due the un ceasing pursuit of ever increasing speed.

Epic games as a test only applied it to one of the processors to see the effect ( the elevated trace )
Attachments
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if you want more info you can watch this video while you are having breakfast and can stand the advert inserts

[youtube]zMYNtPzRCgk[/youtube]
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Steve Gibson ( among many ) have made a small program to inform you of the status of your pc re these problems

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

IT IS BETA so will probably be changed as people report issues

it seems like Microsoft IE dont like this and informs you this is an attack malware site, but thats a mistake, so dont try and use IE to get the little program

Bt the way this is the guy who invented the term spyware donky years ago and one of the first to publicise it, so he has some status

It seems the program can also turn off the patches if the performance hit is too high - this is important since MS bundles all its updates in one blob now so cant pick and choose