PLASTIC BOTTLES

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
KTHSullivan

PLASTIC BOTTLES

Post by KTHSullivan »

In View of the environment secretary's BS on BBC "Breakfast" this morning some of you may be interested in the following government petition.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/200215

Regards

KTHS
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
reohn2

Re: PLASTIC BOTTLES

Post by reohn2 »

I've just signed it,for the good it'll do with a government with it's ears stopped up,I hope I'm proven wrong.
I've been saying for years we should have at least a 50p to £1 deposit on drinks bottles,cans and disposable cups,etc.

At the Christmas markets in Manchester over the holidays,I was buying something from one of the stalls,the German chap serving me was limping badly and I asked him his problem,he said he'd stepped on a broken bottle when packing up the night before,causing a deep cut and ruining his trainers.
He,not surprisingly,was very angry about it and said he'd noticed a lot of discarded cans and bottles littering the streets in the UK,he also told me there was a €1 deposit on them in Germany.
Last edited by reohn2 on 11 Jan 2018, 9:55am, edited 3 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

As a boy I used to cycle the lanes picking up returnable bottles. They were 2d each and was a good earner for a 12 yo. [1964]
So in 2018 what is the equivalent to 2old pence? Is it something around 50-60p?

Amazing that ukGov has only just got around to announcing 5p carrier charge for small shops. Proud the ScotGov appears to be leading the way again.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is 25c on cans, 15c on plastic bottles, 8c on glass beer bottles in Germany, plus (?)

Enormous amounts of mineral water are sold, many people do not trust tap water, glass bottles are transported enormous distances, minus %-(

We love tap water!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Paulatic wrote:As a boy I used to cycle the lanes picking up returnable bottles. They were 2d each and was a good earner for a 12 yo. [1964]

Amazing that ukGov has only just got around to announcing 5p carrier charge for small shops. Proud the ScotGov appears to be leading the way again.

Bag charges are very good for business too, the stores charge now for bags that were free before

I think Wales was first with legislation :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:There is 25c on cans, 15c on plastic bottles, 8c on glass beer bottles in Germany, plus (?)......

Thanks for the clarification,I was going off what he told me.
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Paulatic wrote:As a boy I used to cycle the lanes picking up returnable bottles. They were 2d each and was a good earner for a 12 yo. [1964]

Bag charges are very good for business too, the stores charge now for bags that were free before

I think Wales was first with legislation :wink:

Bag charges are even better for the environment than businesses. Many businesses give the money to charities.
Aye OK, cough cough, Wales Maybe beat us there :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Me too. Then I discovered a more efficient system.
Climb over the pub wall and get them from there. Greed proved my undoing though... :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:

Me too. Then I discovered a more efficient system.
Climb over the pub wall and get them from there. Greed proved my undoing though... :lol:

Been there,done that,been caught,had a thick ear :( :wink:
W H Auden
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:There is 25c on cans, 15c on plastic bottles, 8c on glass beer bottles in Germany, plus (?)

Enormous amounts of mineral water are sold, many people do not trust tap water, glass bottles are transported enormous distances, minus %-(

We love tap water!

remember Peckham Water?
A Scottish friend once summed up bottled water
the picture on the Bottle a small cottage next to a babbling brook
the reality a grey factory with a bore hole at the back on industrial estate in Dundee.

it really is one of the worst things that the 20th century invented.
Last edited by NUKe on 11 Jan 2018, 3:33pm, edited 2 times in total.
NUKe

Post by Mick F »

Plastic.

A thought came to me whilst riding this morning.
If someone placed a skip in a supermarket carpark labeled suitably, everyone who bought the plastic-wrapped products, could bring them back and put them in the skip instead of in their domestic waste.

Eventually, the supermarkets would get the message.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:Plastic.

A thought came to me whilst riding this morning.
If someone placed a skip in a supermarket carpark labeled suitably, everyone who bought the plastic-wrapped products, could bring them back and put them in the skip instead of in their domestic waste.

Eventually, the supermarkets would get the message.

No they wouldn't, because people wouldn't.

It's fun to unwrap things like shrink wrapped bananas and leave the wrapping at customer services though.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Always wanted to do that, but Mrs Mick F won't let me! :oops:
If we all did it, the shops would get the message.

Apart from the issue of the plastic waste, we actually like the plastic. It's convenient and clean, and the products are kept better. You can see why we have it.

My idea of a skip though, means you can have all the advantages of taking your stuff home, but next time you go shopping, you take your empty wrapping back and chuck them in the skip.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:Always wanted to do that, but Mrs Mick F won't let me! :oops:
If we all did it, the shops would get the message.

Apart from the issue of the plastic waste, we actually like the plastic. It's convenient and clean, and the products are kept better. You can see why we have it.

My idea of a skip though, means you can have all the advantages of taking your stuff home, but next time you go shopping, you take your empty wrapping back and chuck them in the skip.

Something like that is happening, China wants to recieve much less old plastic from the West

ireland has been exporting 95% waste plastic to China
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cyril Haearn wrote:There is 25c on cans, 15c on plastic bottles, 8c on glass beer bottles in Germany, plus (?)

We love tap water!

When one buys drinks at aldi or lidl, one pays the deposit on top of the price of the drink

When one brings the empty bottles and cans back they go in a clever machine (made in Norway), one gets a credit voucher for shopping. The stores get the money at the start and do not have to refund all of it later, every liddl helps

Plastic bottles and cans are scrunched by the machine and go to be recycled into lower-grade material

Glass bottles for beer and mineral water go back to be refilled! They make a dozen or more trips