Credit Cards Charges now history

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Credit Cards Charges now history

Post by mercalia »

Just heard about this by accident that as of 13th January charges for using a credit card are no longer legal but ---

https://conversation.which.co.uk/shopping/new-card-surcharge-ban-psd2/?utm_source=whichcouk&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaignsupporters120118

come back thru the back door?
fossala

Re: Credit Cards Charges now history

Post by fossala »

The idea that companies are just going to take the hit of CC charges and not pass it on to the consumer one way or the other is ignorant. What this will do is distribute the CC charges across all customers because it will be reflected by an increase in all prices to keep profit margins at an acceptable level.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

fossala wrote:The idea that companies are just going to take the hit of CC charges and not pass it on to the consumer one way or the other is ignorant. What this will do is distribute the CC charges across all customers because it will be reflected by an increase in all prices to keep profit margins at an acceptable level.

more likely BOOST their profits as in effect chargle EVERY ONE the amount that only card payers would pay :evil:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

fossala wrote:The idea that companies are just going to take the hit of CC charges and not pass it on to the consumer one way or the other is ignorant. What this will do is distribute the CC charges across all customers because it will be reflected by an increase in all prices to keep profit margins at an acceptable level.

Very, very few businesses make a charge for people using credit cards.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pete75 wrote:

They do - they just don't make it explicit...
I wonder how long it will take for there to be a discount for cash... :roll:
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Really - which major retailers have a hidden extra charge applying only to CC payers?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
rjb

Post by rjb »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I wonder how long it will take for there to be a discount for cash... :roll:

Banks will charge small business's to deposit cash. No free lunch here then. Free banking is not looking very long term even for residential customers. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pete75 wrote:

And I found out today that card companies don't charge for contactless anyway. I was in a shop and they asked me to use contactless (which I never use) and I asked "out of interest, why?" and they said "no commission/charges, card companies treat it as cash".

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pete75 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Really - which major retailers have a hidden extra charge applying only to CC payers?

The fact that the charge is spread out doesn’t make it any less of a charge.
In the same way that they charge people for heating and lighting the shop...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
pete75 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

But they're not charging only people who use cards are they? In any case taking credit card payments is an advantage to a business not a disadvantage.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pete75 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
pete75 wrote:

But they're not charging only people who use cards are they? In any case taking credit card payments is an advantage to a business not a disadvantage.

No - they are charging everyone else for that fact that some customers want to use a c.card rather than a d.card or cash.

I'm sure all payment methods have some cost associated, but particularly with small transactions card charges can be extremely high.
Places around here that have CC charges tend to have them only below a certain transaction value for this reason.

And there are a number of chains which haven't accepted c.cards as a result of the charges they faced.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I am glad that paying VED will no longer mean arguing with them about their credit card surcharge (something that made them an extra £8+m a year).

Often ended-up having an argument with them as their credit card recognition never worked properly and they surcharged my debit card, so I had to call them register a formal complaint, argue about it, get it escalated, etc. and then eventually get a refund (sometimes with a "gesture of goodwill" added to the refund).

Ian
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

pete75 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
pete75 wrote:

I have just picked up a new bike. It's enjoying it's first ever cafe stop right now(!). The cost cash (or debit card) was £120 less than if I'd paid by credit card. LBS tho not a major retailer.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Cash isn't usually any cheaper for the shop so the act of charging card payers only is a bit odd.

As are minimum payments for credit cards. The interchange fees on debit is a fixed amount, on credit it's a %. As such it's actually less for a credit card for small amounts. This might vary depending on the shops deal with the machine provider though which adds an extra layer of fees/mess.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Ben@Forest wrote:
pete75 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

I have just picked up a new bike. It's enjoying it's first ever cafe stop right now(!). The cost cash (or debit card) was £120 less than if I'd paid by credit card. LBS tho not a major retailer.

Interesting aspect. I guess that for more major purchases, whilst a credit card can no longer be surcharged, offering cash might put you in a stronger position negotiating a discount.

Ian