Lovely photo essay about a steel frame builder

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ncutler

Lovely photo essay about a steel frame builder

Post by ncutler »

No pasaran
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Lovely photo essay about a steel frame builder

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You would need to look closely and have some experience in machine workshops to decide how much is art and how much is industrial.

My own personal opinions of course.

Don't get me wrong I would luv to do that.....maybe before I die :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Demon has an interesting take on lugs - very Art Deco, many of them. Makes a change from curly.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Nice to see that the Guardian are upholding their reputation for spelling online as well as in print :wink:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mercalia

A modern engineer building classic bicycle frames – in pictures

Post by mercalia »

Gattonero

Re: A modern engineer building classic bicycle frames – in pictures

Post by Gattonero »

It's good to see that the offer is still there, though most buyers nowadays think that everything has to be cheap and everyone is simply trying to rip them off, it's a shame when people can't understand the effort and passion that goes behind a genuinely hand-made product :(
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

The 'lug in hands' photo...... That's an unusual way of making a lug isn't it?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

fastpedaller wrote:The 'lug in hands' photo...... That's an unusual way of making a lug isn't it?

you mean one piece? It seems to be made of 2 bits then joined ? if that is so does mean it has to be super accurate?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

fastpedaller wrote:The 'lug in hands' photo...... That's an unusual way of making a lug isn't it?

The lug appears to be fabricated - fillet brazed from formed flat sheet - like a lugless frame built from seamed tubing? What is the point? I believe that decent lugs are cast.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

JohnW wrote:

The lug appears to be fabricated - fillet brazed from formed flat sheet - like a lugless frame built from seamed tubing? What is the point? I believe that decent lugs are cast.

That's how I see it - either formed from sheet or tubes brazed together. Many years ago I understand lugs were sometimes made from sheet steel and machine formed with a weld seem on one joint plane (hope that makes sense), they may still be available? as you state most are cast nowadays. I'd have thought a better/more robust way to join the lugs in the photo would be to weld them. It is probable that the fillet braze used on them is a higher temperature braze than that used to join the tubes into the lugs (I'd bet money on that :) ), but even so, a weld would be stronger.
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

That sounds like bilaminate (bi-lam) construction to me; its supporters claim that it combines the advantages of fillet brazing (free choice of frame angles) with those of lugs (aesthetics, and, in effect, extra tube butting); certainly Claud Butler, who were proponents, claimed it made for stronger frames than any other method. Cynics might note that it was popular in a period where many lugs were difficult to obtain, and so it was perhaps mainly a way of keeping the looks of a lugged frame when that was what the market wanted. It is possible to do very intricate lug work with the technique, but it is quite labour-intensive.