Do you like / love driving a motor vehicle? Vote now please!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you love driving?

I do not drive any more
5%
I have never driven
6%
Yes, I love it as much as cycling
21%
Yes, it has to be done
9%
Sometimes
36%
In theory yes, in practice no
10%
In theory no, in practice yes
1%
I hate driving but have to do it
11%

Total votes: 80

Cyril Haearn

Do you like / love driving a motor vehicle? Vote now please!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I wanted to call this "like" not "love" but.. "love porridge" was suggested by my clever keyboard, so I changed it to "love driving"

I enjoy driving in theory, I try to operate the machine optimally, in theory I enjoy gliding along the motorway in top gear

In practice I do not enjoy it and would almost be glad if I never had to drive again
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 26 Dec 2020, 4:23pm, edited 5 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
softlips

Re: Do you love driving?

Post by softlips »

Used to love it, still do to a certain extent. Had a Lotus Elise and Lotus Evora in the past but enjoying my cycling too much these days to have the time for a toy weekend car.
mjr

Post by mjr »

No. I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't useful any more. It's bizarre our society is currently configured to expect so many to do it so much. There's better things we could be doing instead of chauffeuring ourselves.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Used to....once I was MOVING I always seemed to want to go onwards. Cars and m'cycles. Unknown roads heading down to the Med. Italy. Spain. Or the Kwacker Plymouth to Liverpool for the ferry to IoM. Or to a frozen tent at a winter Club Rally at Princetown.

No longer. Mainly a boring necessity now (herself has mobility difficulties). Just me, I'd quit now. Be decided for me come August. I will NOT renew my licence at 70 - there are already far too many old drivers out there.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

only motor bike, no car ever, for me. was fun sat the start when I got a Tomas moped from Woolies ( well a very long time ago ) - before then only had a bike to get around on and the extra distance was a big :D Now my motor bike is SORNED for most of the year as I have no need of it to get around & get it out during the summer to go places on holiday usually camping, as some of my tents are too heavy for bikes and they are really nice tents no skimping. On the other hand m/c in summer not much fun - all the heat when wearing all the gear and the concentration needed is very tiring and the wind pounding on your helmit takes its toll. So these days the fun vanishes after a few miles.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

To me it is a double edged sword.

I drive because I am limited in what I can manage cycling at the moment and hate the queues and inconvenience

However on occasion when I get a nice country road on a fine day... then yes I do enjoy driving

But........ I still have in the back of my mind how much more I would enjoy it on one of the Trikes!
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Do you love driving?

Yes, it has to be done.

That option doesn't make sense.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I used to prefer motorcycles to cars, but have no use for one these days, it would be an expensive under used toy. I used to enjoy driving old underpowered vehicles, such as my series 2 (not even 2A) diesel landrover. I dislike modern vehicles because I feel they isolate the driver too much from the outside world. I dislike modern traffic density and urgency. Still, a car is a tool, and I use it as such. Meaning it is only use for journeys that I cannot sensible do by walking, cycling, or in some cases public transport.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I would not normally consider that I love driving, but I do take some pleasure from doing it well. I like to drive smoothly and without drama. I imagine that getting some satisfaction from good driving helps to maintain standards.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pwa wrote:I would not normally consider that I love driving, but I do take some pleasure from doing it well. I like to drive smoothly and without drama. I imagine that getting some satisfaction from good driving helps to maintain standards.
Spot on.
Me too, though I voted for "Yes, I love it as much as cycling".

I voted that way because I do, but there are roads I wouldn't drive on these days unless you paid me ............. motorways north of Bristol. I drove Up North a couple of years ago, and I vowed I would never do it again.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:
pwa wrote:I would not normally consider that I love driving, but I do take some pleasure from doing it well. I like to drive smoothly and without drama. I imagine that getting some satisfaction from good driving helps to maintain standards.
Spot on.
Me too, though I voted for "Yes, I love it as much as cycling".

I voted that way because I do, but there are roads I wouldn't drive on these days unless you paid me ............. motorways north of Bristol. I drove Up North a couple of years ago, and I vowed I would never do it again.

I rather like the M62, or the M6 north of Kendal
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

M5/M6 is awful, but once you get on the M6 north of Preston, it's very nice ............. or was when I last drove it.
I commuted Cornwall to Glasgow for some months back in 1991 driving it both ways once a fortnight. 500miles each way and once or twice did it non-stop to Ibrox. I used to leave here at 9pm, rolling my digs in Ibrox at around 3am.

I wouldn't even consider it these days despite the reasonable M6 through North Lancs and Cumbria. Nowt wrong with the motorways, it's just that they're clogged with seemingly angry and irate traffic, when all I want is a peaceful and enjoyable drive.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

When I drive in the South of the UK drivers seem very aggressive and I get the feeling that anger is just below the surface. not a good combination for road safety.
Driving on French roads it's better but you can never go fast enough for the driver behind you :shock:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I love driving in the right vehicle.
The SEAT Eurobox, quiet, calm, comfy, effortless auto but ultimately boring.
The Staaag, top down, wind in remaining hair, the V8 rumble, floating over the potholes with soft suspension and forgiving tyres, closer to the road, people stare and grin and little boys point excitedly, Dad, Dad look at that yellow car Dad...
Rusty the VW Camper, slow but comfy, friendly waves from other Dubers, no power steering, the soft sound of air cooled magic from the rear and a bit of rattling from the stove. Put the kettle on soon...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bez

Post by Bez »

Love it on race tracks, hate it on roads.