Do you like / love driving a motor vehicle? Vote now please!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you love driving?

I do not drive any more
5%
I have never driven
6%
Yes, I love it as much as cycling
22%
Yes, it has to be done
9%
Sometimes
35%
In theory yes, in practice no
10%
In theory no, in practice yes
1%
I hate driving but have to do it
11%

Total votes: 79

Cyril Haearn

Re: Do you like / love driving a motor vehicle? Vote now please!

Postby Cyril Haearn » 29 Dec 2020, 4:57pm

A chum of mine had a spitfire
'Some days it goes better than other days, for no apparent reason', he bleated :wink:
Do modern vehicles go well every day?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

pwa

Postby pwa » 29 Dec 2020, 4:59pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:A chum of mine had a spitfire
'Some days it goes better than other days, for no apparent reason', he bleated :wink:

If they are not running on diesel, yes, mostly they do.

jgurney

Postby jgurney » 29 Dec 2020, 5:20pm

Motor vehicle - yes, occasionally. Car - no.

I have not owned a car for several years, but do sometimes drive freight or minibuses for charities, helping friends move house, etc. I do quite enjoy driving a larger vehicle, especially in circumstances where the gain is probably worth the marginal environmental impact (e.g. it avoids multiple car journeys being made).

I am amused at the number of times car-devotees turn to me, that critic of the motor-focused lifestyle, to drive vans and minibuses for them because, as they acknowledge, they are too frightened of anything bigger than their cars to do so themselves.

Ride-sleep-repeat

Postby Ride-sleep-repeat » 29 Dec 2020, 6:27pm

pwa wrote:

I've owned Diesels now since 2005.Never had any issues apart from the DPF(Diesel Particulate Filter) rubbish.I'm sure they're designed to go wrong.I had the DPF mapped out on my last two=end of DPF fault issues :wink:
I've only had my current Diesel three weeks.It's one of those stop-start Bluemotion engines.ULEZ(Ultra Low Emission Zone)allegedly so 80% less C02(allegedly).Not convinced adding 67% water and 33% Urea(found in urine) to the exhaust gases makes it 80% lower in emission but it has the Euro6 seal of approval.
I hate the stop/start so I've turned it of.The Engine is fantastic though.Much quieter than my last two.Brilliant 8-speed Auto.

pwa

Postby pwa » 29 Dec 2020, 6:35pm

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:
pwa wrote:

I've owned Diesels now since 2005.Never had any issues apart from the DPF(Diesel Particulate Filter) rubbish.I'm sure they're designed to go wrong.I had the DPF mapped out on my last two=end of DPF fault issues :wink:
I've only had my current Diesel three weeks.It's one of those stop-start Bluemotion engines.ULEZ(Ultra Low Emission Zone)allegedly so 80% less C02(allegedly).Not convinced adding 67% water and 33% Urea(found in urine) to the exhaust gases makes it 80% lower in emission but it has the Euro6 seal of approval.
I hate the stop/start so I've turned it of.The Engine is fantastic though. Much quieter than my last two.Brilliant 8-speed Auto.

Mine is a Golf and the DPF issue has cost me at least a grand so far, and I have had the long wait for the RAC a couple of times with it. Our other car is a Toyota hybrid, which works out at least as cheap on fuel, possibly cheaper, but without the DPF worries. We are leaving diesel behind.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 29 Dec 2020, 6:41pm

pwa wrote:
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:
pwa wrote:If they are not running on diesel, yes, mostly they do.

I hate the stop/start so I've turned it of.The Engine is fantastic though. Much quieter than my last two.Brilliant 8-speed Auto.

Mine is a Golf and the DPF issue has cost me at least a grand so far, and I have had the long wait for the RAC a couple of times with it. Our other car is a Toyota hybrid, which works out at least as cheap on fuel, possibly cheaper, but without the DPF worries. We are leaving diesel behind.

Lots of people were (over)sold diesels whose usage/journey profile wasn't right for them. And lo, the DPF clogged and there was great consternation.

peetee

Postby peetee » 29 Dec 2020, 8:49pm

I discussed the issue of DPF’s with my previous neighbour who owned a Skoda Kodiac and did all his driving around town mostly in slow-moving traffic. He had tried to get recompense for his cars problems from the dealer with no result. He was advised by them to take the car for a spirited drive of at least 30 miles every couple of weeks. This cleans out the DPF and all the particulates that have been saved from the urban environment are dumped in the rural environment. Marvellous, not only are VW Group (and many other manufacturers) lying about the potential fuel consumption figures but they are pretending that the engine exhaust filtration is effective too.
When you look at real-world MPG results on sites such as Honest John it’s fairly obvious that for diesel cars the sweet spot was pre-DPF. For owners such as my neighbour not only is his car less economical that it’s predecessor but he is having to add 25% additional milage just to keep it running correctly and that additional milage is more damaging to the environment that the other 75%.
Madness.
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 29 Dec 2020, 8:57pm

I am still running a Euro 3 diesel. I still get stupendous mpg. I'd replace it, but I can't in any way justify it.

pwa

Postby pwa » 29 Dec 2020, 9:25pm

peetee wrote:I discussed the issue of DPF’s with my previous neighbour who owned a Skoda Kodiac and did all his driving around town mostly in slow-moving traffic. He had tried to get recompense for his cars problems from the dealer with no result. He was advised by them to take the car for a spirited drive of at least 30 miles every couple of weeks. This cleans out the DPF and all the particulates that have been saved from the urban environment are dumped in the rural environment. Marvellous, not only are VW Group (and many other manufacturers) lying about the potential fuel consumption figures but they are pretending that the engine exhaust filtration is effective too.
When you look at real-world MPG results on sites such as Honest John it’s fairly obvious that for diesel cars the sweet spot was pre-DPF. For owners such as my neighbour not only is his car less economical that it’s predecessor but he is having to add 25% additional milage just to keep it running correctly and that additional milage is more damaging to the environment that the other 75%.
Madness.

I clear my Golf out about once every ten drives by having a fairly prolonged spell of 50mph in second gear (no typo there), which is about 5000rpm, which does kind of clear things but is a rubbish way of keeping your car going. And it makes real life mpg rather poor. If I don't do that, once in a while the car loses power, splutters a bit and emits a huge cloud of smoke. No more VW diesel engines for me when this one goes.

The mechanic who does our cars says new diesels are more trouble than they are worth, and I agree.

peetee

Postby peetee » 29 Dec 2020, 11:18pm

pwa wrote:I clear my Golf out about once every ten drives by having a fairly prolonged spell of 50mph in second gear (no typo there), which is about 5000rpm, which does kind of clear things but is a rubbish way of keeping your car going. And it makes real life mpg rather poor. If I don't do that, once in a while the car loses power, splutters a bit and emits a huge cloud of smoke. No more VW diesel engines for me when this one goes.

The mechanic who does our cars says new diesels are more trouble than they are worth, and I agree.

My 15 year old Polo has the pre-DPF 1.9TDi lump. A lovely lazy engine that does a zillion MPG and can be driven below 2000rpm all day long. I had to drive up to Shropshire a few months back, a round trip of 560 miles which used £40 of fuel. When, eventually, the rest of the car decays and falls off it I shall be looking for a car with the same engine and will probably give up driving if I can’t find one.
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.

Ride-sleep-repeat

Postby Ride-sleep-repeat » 29 Dec 2020, 11:26pm

pwa wrote:Mine is a Golf and the DPF issue has cost me at least a grand so far, and I have had the long wait for the RAC a couple of times with it. Our other car is a Toyota hybrid, which works out at least as cheap on fuel, possibly cheaper, but without the DPF worries. We are leaving diesel behind.

Just have the DPF mapped out.No need to remove it.It will still pass the MOT emissions.I put my last car through 6 MOTs.Two as standard,four remapped from 170 to 210bhp with the DPF bypassed and the emissions were almost exactly the same!
I think we're being conned with this whole DPF thing.VW getting caught for telling porkies about their emissions is just the tip of the iceberg.

Pebble

Postby Pebble » 30 Dec 2020, 12:26am

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:
pwa wrote:Mine is a Golf and the DPF issue has cost me at least a grand so far, and I have had the long wait for the RAC a couple of times with it. Our other car is a Toyota hybrid, which works out at least as cheap on fuel, possibly cheaper, but without the DPF worries. We are leaving diesel behind.

Just have the DPF mapped out.No need to remove it.It will still pass the MOT emissions.I put my last car through 6 MOTs.Two as standard,four remapped from 170 to 210bhp with the DPF bypassed and the emissions were almost exactly the same!
I think we're being conned with this whole DPF thing.VW getting caught for telling porkies about their emissions is just the tip of the iceberg.

Just mapping it out wouldn't work, how would it now when to regenerate ? if it didn't regenerate then it would get bunged up and destroy the engine.

And if you remove the DPF like people used to then that is an MOT failure now, I guess you could gut it but I have heard they don't stand a chance of passing the emissions test at the mot now..

I do think the latest diesels have finally improved on the fuel economy that diesels had got to before euro 4. But they will never ever be as reliable and dependable as the diesels at the turn of the century.

this is not bad for the wifes new german diesel SUV
Last edited by Pebble on 30 Dec 2020, 8:43am, edited 1 time in total.

pwa

Postby pwa » 30 Dec 2020, 6:13am

peetee wrote:
pwa wrote:I clear my Golf out about once every ten drives by having a fairly prolonged spell of 50mph in second gear (no typo there), which is about 5000rpm, which does kind of clear things but is a rubbish way of keeping your car going. And it makes real life mpg rather poor. If I don't do that, once in a while the car loses power, splutters a bit and emits a huge cloud of smoke. No more VW diesel engines for me when this one goes.

My 15 year old Polo has the pre-DPF 1.9TDi lump. A lovely lazy engine that does a zillion MPG and can be driven below 2000rpm all day long. I had to drive up to Shropshire a few months back, a round trip of 560 miles which used £40 of fuel. When, eventually, the rest of the car decays and falls off it I shall be looking for a car with the same engine and will probably give up driving if I can’t find one.

The 1.9TDI was a lovely engine. I had a car with one and it was very easy to live with. I was hoping for more of the same from the newer engines but they are less economical (take no notice of the figures) and much less reliable. I also suspect they are dirtier in real life conditions.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 30 Dec 2020, 7:46am

So new vehicles are not just heavier, uglier, but dirtier and less efficient than older ones?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Pebble

Postby Pebble » 30 Dec 2020, 8:42am

Cyril Haearn wrote:So new vehicles are not just heavier, uglier, but dirtier and less efficient than older ones?

I would certainly go with 'uglier' but they are only heavier as we keep making them bigger.

I would say considerably cleaner, but for a while they needed to use a little more fuel to create less of the pollution that harms our health (as opposed to the pollution that causes global warming)

As a cyclist I know when the diesl that has just past me is euro 3 or earlier, they stink We must not have know how bad it was 20 years ago .